1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

URGENT: warped dash problem on '04 ('05?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ghostofjk, Mar 24, 2006.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I was just taking shrapnel on another thread for having the only Toyota that doesn't meet the "Toyota reputation for quality". Now you guys all chime in and want to be the only one.

Which one of us is the only one?? I want to say I had the designation first, but now I'm not sure.. :angry:

btw, I'll take a look at my dash when I head home...

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I see some small warpage on my dash, beginning at the far right and coming over maybe 8 inches (by eye) tops. Nothing mind-boggling yet.

If they do a recall, I'm ready. If not, I'm hoping this improves airbag deployment when needed rather than degrades it...

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Aug 3 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]297083[/snapback]</div>
    the steering recall doesn't require removal of the upper part of the dash, just the lower bit under the steering wheel. so it had to have been there beforehand. sorry :(

4. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 3 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]297348[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for pointing that out... interesting because that's what I ended up telling the Toyota CSR believing that was the case. Oh well.

It might've happened after though... when they tried to check the MFD cabling after I first got the MFD glitch. I know I definitely noticed that it was broken then... Heck, the MFD wasn't flush with the dash, so I thought thought something was off. I could see plastic? aligning bits coming from bottom of the MFD unit sitting on top of the black finish that has the radio tuning knbs... (instead of sinking into the holes they should've gone into)

Thanks for asking. When I went in last Friday (8/11) to swap the MFD, which came in earlier that week, they correctly put in the dash back together -- no plastic aligning bits (and a 1-2mm gap!) showing this time. :blink:

They also put in the new glovebox that came in as part of the toyota customer service call I made a day after I complained. The glovebox was put in for a $39 charge (1/2 hr of labor)... I should have complained to the lady from toyota that called me about the $39 resolution, but the prospect of not having to pay $100 extra (the full cost of the glove box) was alright with me... and it was technically 'trim'.

As of now, I don't know if the toyota customer service made the dealer order a dash... Mine's still a bit warped, but it's much better than it used to be. Either way, I'm switching dealers because I don't like the people working there. If I do get a letter that a part came in, I'll have them put it in, but otherwise that's the last service they get from me. They seem to be the type that try to NOT fix what the customer complains about legitimately...

example: I went in with the TSB for the fuel gauge innaccurary, telling them that I had been experiencing this problem for a while (true.. I had been lurking the Prius Yahoo group when I first got mine) and I wanted to have it done. They supposedly filled up the tank up to the 11.9 gallons, and said there was no fix necessary... ie... taking the easy way out... because I complained about the fuel gauge being off, not that the tank didn't take in the full amount of gas. (My car's VIN is listed under the list requiring the two fixes)

I think what pisses me the most is that the TSB says that it should be done as per a customer's complaint... not because they try to check it and deem it fine... but that's just my interpretation of 'Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.'

Anywho, before I get off topic, I'll post my flat tire experience in the right forum (or thread, at any rate), hehe.
    Thanks for your question and feedback :)

5. marjam

marjam Member

'04 Prius with a non-functioning upper glove box checking in. Happened last week. Since I was going to the dealer for the steering recall I called the dealer and told them I needed the new upper glove box. When I picked up the car the box opens correctly and the dash "warp" is gone . . . but they said they had to order another part and that it would be in this week.

Car was within 70 miles of 36,000 and the dealer said all was covered under warranty. Guess I lucked out.

6. mbfreeman

mbfreeman New Member

I guess I am the first to report this same 'dash warp' problem on an '06. I noticed the dash was raised just above the right spring for the upper glove box. Since I was taking it in for a 10,000 mile service, I asked the dealer to take a look at this as well as some rattles and one of the speakers on the door which was starting to fall off. At first he said he didn't see any dash problem but I described the area to look in again and after a quick second look, he immediately recognized the problem as the spring pushing up on the dash. He said he had not seen this before so I told him to check out this thread on PriusChat. The replacement glove box parts are ordered under warranty so hopefully it will all be taken care of next week.

The dash has not been taken apart or abused in any way that I know of so I am becoming increasingly concerned about Toyota's fit and finish on this vehicle. I also have a 2006 Highlander Hybrid which has been trouble free with great fit and finish for 20,000 miles. Maybe it is just the Prius but overall I am tremendously happy with both my hybrids and the positives far outweigh the minor negatives.

7. Moby Whaley

Moby Whaley Junior Member

4dogstoo, Sorry you are the first to report an '06 with the problem. I finally took a photo of my dash warp. Sorry, there is a Sun Shield in the photo but I do not want the problem to get worse. I'm going into the dealer, Flagstaff, Bob Sellers Toyota 8am Wed. 8-30-06. I'm also going to bring up the steering being off 5 degrees after the Steering Recall and the click I have in the Gear Shift knob as well as the free alignment after the confirmation of the steering wheel positioning being off. I truly am concerned for the air bag deployment integrity with the warp. I understand the astout members here are sure it is a couple of springs under the dash. We will see. See Photo of warp.
    [attachmentid=4656]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4dogstoo @ Aug 25 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]309315[/snapback]</div>

Attached Files:

8. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Aug 17 2006, 01:02 AM) [snapback]304516[/snapback]</div>
    It took two trips to the dealer but my dash and my glovebox have both been fixed and they are all lined up properly. All done under warrenty with no haggling.

9. Moby Whaley

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Aug 28 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]310678[/snapback]</div>
    I was ready for a battle but So far so good. Drove the Hour to Flagstaff, Bob Sellers Toyota, the new service person Leslie IS EXCELLENT. She has been around for my last 2 appointments. Now, when I pulled in she practically met me while coming to a full stop, she knew about the dash warp, glove compartment sticking because of the spring mechanism or the dash screws popping, she knew the Steering Recall has some issues (and the free alignment if necessary) and my steering wheel off to the right approx 10 degrees, and I demonstrated my clicking in the gear shift ( a result from the Steering Column Recall during last visit but not noticed till I was back on line at home and learned from you posters.)

I'll be pleased if they fix all they can and if they need to order a new dash or some part, So be it. I'll galdly come back for the final fix due to Leslie's great attitude and knowledge.

Had the shuttle driver take me to Macy's European Coffee House in Flagstaff (free high speed wireless) awaiting my call from Leslie and the shuttle dirve back to the dealer.

10. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It happend to me too.. about a couple of weeks ago.. after 100 degree weather..
    I have over 72K on my car.. so I don't think it would be covered..
    It still opens.. just have to give it a little push..
    Oh well...

11. Moby Whaley

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p626808 @ Aug 31 2006, 05:01 AM) [snapback]312081[/snapback]</div>

Well, the Toyota dealer in Flagstaff (Bob Sellers Toyota) fixed my Steering Wheel to be straight up. Also, gave a free alignment. Wow, it feel so great. I had no idea what a difference the "well done" recall would make in the feel of the steering. I drove home down Oak Creek Canyon (which is always enjoyable).

They ordered a new gear shift mechanism so they could fix the clicking after the Steering Recall. They DID NOT fix the dash. I called Toyota Cust Care Corporate and they said the dealer will have to call their Toyota Corporate Cust. Care Rep. and that they MUST Stand by the Rep.'s decision. I simply feel that a Prius owner that keeps the car in the shade, drives conservatively, is being punished because thier dash doesn't warp till around 50,000 miles. Toyota says if the dash warps before 36,000 miles they fix it. If it happens after 36k they consider it "Interior Trim" not covered on the 10 yr. 100,000 mile Extended Warranty which I purchased. Bumper to Bumper my nice person. Interior Trim??? The dash, Air Bag, Glove Compartment???

Anyway, I'm awaiting the answer to the dealers request for coverage of the Warp to the Toyota Corp Cust Care Rep. The dealer Service Person was great and very knowledgeable. She knew exactly what is causing the warp. I believe the dash / glove compartment problem destroys the integrity of the Air Bag Deployment on the passenger side because there are popped screws or springs and they are sharp objects. This is a serious saftey issue!!!!!!!!

12. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It hasn't been all that long since I opened my top glovebox but it's acting all broken now. :huh:

I'll assume it's because of the same heat-related issues that others have seen.

If anyone manages to get a safety recall started, so that it's free no matter the mileage, I'd appreciate it. Maybe it'd be hazardous to someone in the passenger seat if it fell off, or something... <_<

13. Moby Whaley

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Sep 1 2006, 07:10 AM) [snapback]312698[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's the whole idea. I'll love when that time comes.

14. CHART

CHART Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Aug 28 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]310678[/snapback]</div>
    Sigh....me too. I noticed this a few months ago, but haven't had time to look into it. Marjam, what dealer do you use for maintenance? I have had zero luck with the dealers up here (Frederick, Westminster and Gaitherburg)

15. Moby Whaley

Called Leslie at Bob Seller's Toyota, Flagstaff AZ, She said there'll probably be a reply for the Cust. Care Rep. on Tuesday Sept 5th. Will keep posted.

16. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was the original poster re: this problem, when I was ghostofjk. I'm seriously annoyed with Toyota for stonewalling others besides myself on this matter, in warranty or not. No, I wouldn't stretch it into a safety issue; it's poor engineering accompanied by inappropriate materials (the plastic, when they could have fashioned a thin metal insert INTO the plastic, where it becomes wider), resulting in a common, unnecessary problem.

I think there is now sufficient documentation of others having the problem for me to print the appropriate posts and raise some certified hell with Customer Service---or higher.

Will let you know what response I get.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    agreed, it's not a safety issue. that panel you see where the airbag is, splits in half and opens up for the airbag to come out. a warp in the dash that distance away wouldn't impede that.

however, it does suck that the springs are giving out like that... that's a quality issue for sure.

18. fiblet

fiblet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's the fix for the Prius glove box springs: My '04 Prius has the same problem with springs on upper glove box. Both plastic clips broke off. I fixed the problem by putting the springs back in place, holding the spring in place with heavy duty tape, then epoxy over the area. Keep the lid open during the 24 hrs to keep pressure low. After 24 hours the epoxy will hold the springs in place better than new. Even if your springs are ok, I recommend doing this down to save your self problems later. I have the warped dash as well, but I think it is unrelated to the spring. I should have two warps not one right?

19. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Mar 25 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]230200[/snapback]</div>
    It is fixable, if you only have the problem of the ends of the springs breaking their plastic retainers.

Rather than fight with Toyota on it on my 04, I simply used a Leatherman to hold the springs in their proper position, then heated a T-pin and pushed it through the leftovers of the plastic retainer area on each side, so that the T-pins held the spring ends in place. Then I epoxied over the ends of the springs. Once it had hardened, I twisted T-pins until I could pull them free. Then I heated them and poked holes where necessary in the glovebox backing, and straightened some paperclips, ran them through the holes, twisted them over, then epoxied over them again. The paperclips (or wire, whatever) should keep everything in place in case the epoxy breaks free from the slick ABS spring retainers.

It seems to be working just fine.

FYI, fiblet - the springs are definitely the cause of the warping of the dash - if you had left the springs long enough, they'd have raised 2 spots. In my case, the spring closer to the passenger door pushed the dash up about 1/4", but the inside one near the center of the car just pushed it up a little. To minimize the warping, I left the upper glovebox out of the car for a couple of weeks to allow the heat to relax the dash. It seems to have worked pretty well, the inside warp seems to be gone, and the outer one is almost gone. I wasn't going to leave it for a few more weeks to see if the rest went away ;-) Now that I have the springs retained again, it might relax the rest of the way over time.

Since the 06 design is barely different (they strengthened the inner mount a bit, but didn't change the outer at all), I'm sorely tempted to go ahead and reinforce it with epoxy/wire now. But I think I'll wait until about 35,900 miles to see what happens first.

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Had the upper glove box replacement/repair done September 8th after my Dealer's Service Department ordered the parts. Overall "wait" was an hour and the glovebox cover works as designed. There is still a slight deforming (less than 1/8") of the dash over the right hinge but not enough to risk mechanics replacing the entire dashboard cover. Perhaps in the Texas summer heat it will settle down in time.

Last year, after postings indicating that the Fuel Gauge Inaccuracy repairs done often did NOT result in a more accurage gauge, and considering the extensive disassembly/reasembly necessary, in the same spirit of my comment above, I decided to "pass" on that modification.