1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Urgg...Timing Chain Tensioner Oil leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by A617, Dec 4, 2015.

1. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On Feb 2015 I had this oil leak developing around the timing chain cover/ oil pressure plug and so i replaced the oil pressure sensor and clean the area and though problem solved...

Fast forward today and the weeping has redeveloped and has gotten larger than last time , its only a weeping issue no visible oil droplet leaks, anyways I took a mirror and when probing around and found the leak origin from the rusty looking timing chain tensioner...that what i think it is.

My question is should I just remove and replace the Rubber O-ring on it or should I just replace the entire timing tensioner unit with a new one, my original timing chain tensioner is sitting at 85k miles. The O-ring is free (i have a kit) and i can do it right now or a New Timing chain tensioner w/ new O-ring is around $20 bucks but i cannot verify the part number perhaps someone could tip me

And is there perhaps a guide? I know where it is and its held by a mere 2 10mm bolt but i just want to reassure myself not to you know mess something up.

A write up/guide of this will be documented of course :)

2. Kundanp333

Kundanp333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were you able to further diagnose or solve this issue?

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Well if voting.....

Normally no report timing tensioner issues at 85K miles.
    Yours is rusty (not a good sign).....are all other tensioners in other members cars rusty too?
    Is access the same to replace just the o-ring vs o-ring and tensioner?
    In stock inventory $0 versus $20 extra cost excluding labor/ time.
    Do the job once.

I'd vote do the tensioner and 0-ring.

4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    #4 Xterra72, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. thehybridguy

thehybridguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius has 296k on it. I needdd mind replaced. I had an oil leak on the tentionior. I ended up replacing both. Cost me less the $50 in parts from Toyota. I no longer have an oil leack in the area.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RMB likes this.