1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US cheapest LRR tire currently available?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by terramir, Oct 31, 2016.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi currently got kumho optima on my car but honestly there done front done rear like 5/32 round about, currently not really much coming in income wise.
    Will need two new tires maybe even 4 depending on cost.
    Would like a tire that can take some rain live in Los Angeles, but I might want to take trips this winter all weather would be a plus.
    terramir

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...you can try Continental True Contacts from TireRack.com

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    2/32 is safe minimum summer tread
    Junkyard is cheapest

4. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about the ecopia ep422 no plus?
    They seem to be the cheapest LRR tires around currently

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Walmart had ep422 plus marked to $49.99 clearance in 15 inch sizes, ymmv but that is the cheapest is whatever is discontinued at walland and technically there are other lrr tires that were never really sold as such, many sizes of Goodyear integrities sp? Were lrr, the ones on the cobalt xfe were lrr though it was never advertised as such.

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do not know how the $$ compares, but you may consider the General Altimax RT43. NOT an LRR, but it's mpg figures rival "official" LRR tires.

When I bought them in very late summer, prices of the General were significantly lower than any other QUALITY tire I would consider. Here is a thread with my impressions...

General Altimax RT43 -- review | PriusChat

7. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I had the money for Costco membership I dun think I would have a problem picking tires ;-)
    Still could use some input.
    terramir

9. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I still need more opinions and choices, I would like to get some more opinions. Also I need some more info.
    The ep422 are like 60 - 65 k tires, the Rt 43 h are also 65k miles but have a 51 psi rating the T version 44 psi rating but 75k miles there are other tires I saw like the continental true contact come with a mail in rebate for 70 bucks right now which would put them in the same price range well pick up at their installer with road hazard warranty for 3years 320-70 rebate.
    What's your opinions

10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I walked in a physical semi rural Walmart and told the guy I want the cheapest discontinued tire and gave a diameter.

Got 2x ep422+ for $115 including tax and mounting. (Much cheaper than your quote)

To get the best deal you need to face to face to find out what's discontinued, no online method.

What you will find is whatever is clearance marked will likely save you more than the gas difference for whatever specific tire your wanting.

Hell I just checked here and the integrity tires in you size are only $25 each on the clearance rack (a cheap lrr tire) but again only 2 left

Not ideal but you never know until you ask.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  11. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Semi rural well I live in Los Angeles and well I do not know about this kind of mark downs cause they might ship between stores

12. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Oshkosh is only 12 miles from the Appleton store and they didn't ship

Still worth a half hour of time

13. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends on the tire at 2.50 to 4 bucks a gallon even a 5 mpg increase/decrease could be more than a whole tire set 50mpg vs 45 mpg , thanks to my car door, well pepboys damaging my door I should have enough money for shocks struts and tires, and still pay For some overdue bills.
    Over 65000 miles that is a 144 gallon difference, which is 360 to 570 bucks. depending on gas prices.
    Of course question is, are the 90k true contact really LRR cause I read some complaints here.
    terramir

#13 terramir, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Price-wise, etc., it is tough to beat the "new and improved" RT43 -- if it lives up to the Consumer Reports and Tire Rack ratings and really gets the mileage that CR and TireRack claim it will get.

Of course, buying during their rebate a couple of months ago helped greatly. The TrueContact treadwear is not the greatest, IIRC from TireRack. Otherwise seems to be a great tire and I had it on my short list.

I also considered a couple of the "no-name" brands from Discount Tire, they seem like they may be real sleepers for someone who really wants/needs to go the less expensive route.

15. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The true contact is supposedly a 90k tire ????

16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whoop, I spoke "wrongly." The TrueContact gets the exact same treadwear rating from TireRack as the RT43....

Now, I really have trouble with any tire and a 90K claim, but....in my case the TrueContact was $490 out the door and the General RT43 was $420-$50 rebate, which took it to $370. I got the rebate in five days after my online claim.

But, again, the TrueContact seems to be a great tire. I just think that the RT43 and the TC are pretty much equals -- except for price and the treadwear claim.