1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US Election Day Nov 6

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Oct 8, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Non-political aspects can be discussed here, including voter registration. Deadlines for all states:

Alabama: October 22
    Alaska: October 7
    Arizona: October 9
    Arkansas: October 9
    California: October 22
    Colorado: November 6 (Election Day)
    Connecticut: October 30
    Delaware: October 13
    Florida: October 9
    Georgia: October 9
    Hawaii: November 6 (Election Day)
    Idaho: November 6 (Election Day)
    Illinois: November 6 (Election Day)
    Indiana: October 9
    Iowa: November 6 (Election Day)
    Kansas: October 16
    Kentucky: October 9
    Louisiana: October 9 online October 16
    Maine: November 6 (Election Day)
    Maryland: October 16
    Massachusetts: October 17
    Michigan: October 9
    Minnesota: November 6 (Election Day)
    Mississippi: October 9
    Missouri: October 10
    Montana: November 6 (Election Day)
    Nebraska: October 26
    Nevada: October 18
    New Hampshire: November 6 (Election Day)
    New Jersey: October 16
    New Mexico: October 9
    New York: October 12
    North Carolina: October 12
    North Dakota: None – just bring ID
    Ohio: October 9
    Oklahoma: October 12
    Oregon: October 16
    Pennsylvania: October 9
    Rhode Island: October 7
    South Carolina: October 17
    South Dakota: October 22
    Tennessee: October 9
    Texas: October 9
    Utah: October 30
    Vermont: November 6 (Election Day)
    Virginia: October 15
    Washington, DC: November 6 (Election Day)
    Washington: October 29
    West Virginia: October 16
    Wisconsin: November 6 (Election Day)
    Wyoming: November 6 (Election Day)

Several have Oct 9 so if that is you, get in motion. Largest and smallest states are already passed.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is in-person registration only, typically just at the county courthouse, and at the county elections headquarters (if that isn't located in the courthouse).

Washington's online registration ends in just a few hours: http://myvote.wa.gov/

Mail-in registration ended with the last available postmark today, typically several hours ago.

=============
    On a separate note, I am serving yet another elder care shift right now, and will take dad in for early voting tomorrow. We would have done it today if it wasn't a public holiday. He is highly adamant that he is voting in this election, and doesn't want to risk missing it by croaking before official election day. Which has a very significant probability this year.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'm hoping fuzzy-dad survives to see this outcome and others after.

In earlier mom-elder-care duty, she was (R) and I was (D). She had an absentee ballot and asked my advice about choices. "If you have a preference, make your mark but if not, leave it blank". I might claim great impartiality for that, but as it was California, she could not change much with ink. My claim is diminished.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really hate the "new and improved" vote by mail system.

I was a firefighter in a younger life. I broke my neck. Lucky for me, I was NOT paralyzed from the neck down as they originally thought, but it was a painful recovery nonetheless.

As part of my "problems" I have significant nerve injury to my right arm, which makes my signature "differ,' each and every time I sign a document. My problem comes when the highly trained clerks at various upscale establishments (read 7-11 or WalMart) challenge me on my signature.

That also happens with my ballot. I have had them rejected more often than not. The last time I went in and filled out a new voter card with new signature(s) all on a variation of "X"

I am sure that my upcoming ballot will be rejected also, because my election day X does not look like any of the five I submitted earlier this year.

I much preferred the go in person polling places.

srellim234 likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the thoughts, but he knows and acknowledges that he is a short-timer, and has no desire whatsoever for a long life in this increasingly broken and disabled body. He always expected a quick easy transition at a much younger age, as he witnessed with his own dad and as all other recent male ancestors had experienced. But modern medicine had other plans. (For new readers, I come from different gene stocks, though he has now exceeded most of my own ancestors too.)

For a couple years, his longest term goal was to write next Sunday's sermon, but that duty has now fully transitioned to some younger lay ministers. His new goal is to see P46's inauguration, the sooner the better. Seeing (and understanding) it on the natural schedule simply isn't in the cards.
    Dad is hardcore (D) (in a hardcore (R) state), to the point of complaining about the removal of the single checkoff box at the top for a straight party ticket. As a frequent crosser of the aisle, and not at all ashamed about leaving a few blanks on the ballot to reduce dilution of voters more informed or passionate about certain specific contests, I'm glad that such a choice is abolished.

Not that either of us has any hope whatsoever of changing our respective state's representation in DC. At least I'm much less annoyed with mine than he is with his, plus my votes do make a difference in the lower level contests.

I love it. It encourages taking more time to study the contests, and gradually mark up the ballot over several days while going through the available materials.
    At least you can now track your ballot online through the mailing / receive / signature validation process, and they are supposed to contact you about any signature problems. The snafus in the 2004 election (just one county's ballot problems alone vastly exceeded the final margin in the Governor's race(*)) forced a number of changes, after a County Commissioner noticed his own name on the non-public list of ballots rejected for 'signature problems'.

(*) The number of ballots eventually ruled as illegal, exceeded the final victory margin by a factor of 13X. Remember that study a couple years ago claiming only about 30-something cases of illegal voting recorded nationwide this century? We had 1678 votes ruled in court as illegal, but those condensed to a single 'case' in said study.

#5 fuzzy1, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He cast his ballots this morning.

I think the partisan office ballot had about 17 races. But 11 were uncontested, with no minority- or third-party challengers even filing.

Plus one nonpartisan judicial ballot (yes, it was for my judicial relative, keep or reject instead of having a challenger) and one issues ballot.
    Eastern and Western (Puget Sound zone) Washington are politically different states, one R, one D.

8. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You forget to mention.....
    Voting day for Democrats: November 6th
    Voting day for Republicans: November 8th

(Sorry, just couldn't resist, just kidding, of course).

But yes folks, whoever you are, whatever your party (or independent), get out and vote, on Nov 6th. A fair representation of the country can only be made when a fair representation gets out to vote.

And thank the poll workers who volunteer and give up their free time to help out!

#8 stevepea, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it doesn't matter how many vote, a fair representation of those who care is sufficient

11. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder how many machines get hacked?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they've been hacking voting since there has been voting

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Except some of those new electronic voting booths are easier to hack than past technologies.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    stuffing the ballot box, no russians necessary

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In Russia, ballot box stuffs you.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i won't be visiting soon, or at all really

i have distant relatives there, they think it's 'great'!

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In 2016, 128,627,010 ballots counted for House elections, 96,103,172 for Senate elections, and 136,669,276 in guidance of Presidential Electoral College. It would be impressive and perhaps historic if that first number is exceeded in 2018 House work. Exceeding third number would blow the doors off.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    r's got the vote out? or was it the ruskies:cautious:

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have reminded me of a true story from a road trip I was on in October 2001. It was finally my turn to drive, so I asserted driver privilege and tuned the radio to a station that seemed less partisan (to me) than the one we'd had on for the last several hours.

It was an NYC local station. September 11 that year, you probably remember, was a Tuesday, and there had been a primary election for city government underway that morning, which got called off by the Governor and the alreadt-cast votes nullified so the whole thing could be rescheduled for two weeks later.

When the rescheduled primary was held, the Republican mayoral ticket got finalized, but the Democratic primary came out so close that a runoff was needed, which was set for October.

As we were driving through the city, that Democratic runoff was coming up, so the radio host read off an announcement reminding Democratic voters of the upcoming date.

One of the other people in the car (who had chosen the earlier radio station) reacted with "how can you stand that blatant partisan reporting? did you hear even one word about reminding Republicans to vote?"

um, no, 'cause they had their primary already, and weren't having a runoff ... ?

-Chap

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my state, new voter registrations are 28% ahead of 2014 so far. Registration is still open another ten days, but only in-person at very limited locations, so the numbers won't expand much. Most registrations are by mail or on-line, and those are now closed.

The news article didn't give 2016 figures, so no direct clue for guidance on your 2016 comparison.

King County and Washington state election officials see a surge in voter registration | The Seattle Times