1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US / Europe light cluster differences

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by KMO, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. I don't like the rear red indicators since I can't tell if they're indicator or just rapidly pressing the brake pedal (Unless I'm right behind them and can see both taillights).

KMO: Interesting. I will remember that parking lights are different from sidelights. I always called them sidelights but when people started talking about parking lights, I thought they were talking about the same thing. :oops: Our front indicators are in the same position as yours - a large yellow bulb atop the headlights. Our sidelights are housed within that tiny area to the outside (i.e. besides our reflector) and is a much smaller bulb than the indicators

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"68654)</div>
    Are you sure? The US manual I've downloaded shows separate 5W parking lamps and 21W indicators. If it was the same bulb, it would have to be a 5W/21W dual filament, wouldn't it?

And Tideland, most people do mean exactly the same thing when they say sidelights or parking lights - they mean front position lamps. Real parking lamps (as per the ECE regs) aren't that common, and I suspect most people have never seen them. They're mainly a German thing. And those that exist are usually just the position lamps operating on one side only.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    KMO,

ahh alright, thanks.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO\";p=\"68738)</div>
    You are right. I was checking this morning (6 AM) to see if the light shows through the reflector. Sort of difficult to do during the day. I was going to reference my own post but since you already have, I'll retract what I said here instead. :)

Yes there ARE 2 bulbs in the upper assembly. The small one is right beside the reflector, and does shine through it. Even with it on and the turn indicator and headlights off, I could not see a specific bulb shape through the front lens. It is not surprising I didn't see it when I looked yesterday with the lights off!

Sorry for the mis-information.

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers Bruce,

In that case I was wrong too - the light assembly is basically the same layout as ours, but they've stuck an orange translucent reflector over the position lamp. Is the bulb white or orange?

Looking at mine, the light pretty much only comes out through the area covered by your reflector - it doesn't flood the indicator lens. As a result, it must only barely meet the ECE requirement to be visible 45 degrees inwards, but it's visible much more than 80 degrees outwards.

I just had a look at the ECE regulations for stop-lamps. I've always thought the central stop lamp is a little pointless (being barely higher than the side ones), but it appears it has to be there to meet the regulations. They've cut it a bit fine - its lower edge has to be higher than the upper edges of the other two lights. Which it probably is, by all of a millimetre or two. :)

BTW, I found it a bit of a pain to locate a spare bulb set to carry in the Prius. Not many cars use wedge-based bulbs for everything, so I couldn't find a suitable set in a car accessory shop. It turned out Toyota themselves had a set available (containing 1 of each exterior bulb type and assorted fuses). It was branded Optifit (Toyota's own accessory make), but it looks like it was supplied by Philips.

7. ross33

ross33 New Member

on the subject of lights,has anyone experienced other cars flashing at you as if you had your high beams on when you didn't? I've only had one nite outing so far and a whole lotta flashin goin on. Don't have the HIDs either.