1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US News & World Report rate Fusion better hybrid than Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GreenGuy33, Feb 4, 2010.

1. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, I guess it's better if you don't mind paying more and getting fewer MPG.

1 person likes this.
  3. web1b

web1b Active Member

Many people don't mind getting 40 instead of 45-50 mpg . It's just another option if you don't need a hatchback and were looking at the Prius V where pricing obviously is not a top priority for people shopping that model.

4. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I looked to the right for the categories.
    Of course they would give Fusion higher marks for interior if they based it on room.
    They gave Fusion much higher marks than Milan on exterior. What's the difference? The grille???

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm looking to by my wife a Fusion hybrid.
    (keep in mind that I'm a moderator on a Prius fan site)

6. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The thing is that I am hearing Fusion hybrid owners getting @36mpg on average. I was getting 38.9mpg in my Camry hybrid.

On a different note... I test drove an Escape hybrid 2 years ago and immediately decided on a Camry hybrid. It proved to me that Toyota makes a better hybrid.
    Talk about uncomfortable seats, the Ford was awful.
    It will take more than this Prius brake issue to get me to buy anything other than another Prius.

7. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm no longer surprised by these reports - most gearheads want POWER and in "normal" mode the feel of the Prius is fairly, well, "normal"... The Fusion has a 16% higher power-to-weight ratio (despite being 20% heavier), so it has more muscle - the price, of course, is significantly worse mileage (as is the case with most american-made non-hybrids as well).

Just consider the sources of these articles and ask yourself: are they comparing the best HYBRIDS, or are they just looking at "farfagnugen"? You can guess what the review will say based solely on that. (note that this particular "hybrid" review doesn't score on mileage, which is the primary factor for most hybrid buyers)

I will readily concede that the Prius is not the best on the track or for burnouts. It also doesn't have the luxury-class features like butt-massagers and so on. But it is the absolute best affordable mid-sized hybrid, and handily beats the Fusion on mileage and affordability.

Another part of the problem is that these reviewers assume the Gen III Prius is just a minor update to the Gen II - anyone who has driven one knows that it's a huge difference.