1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US to build charging stations along major interstates

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by IABoy987, Sep 28, 2022.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Read an article where the US plans to build fast charging stations about every 50 miles along the major interstates. There was a picture with a typical station plug stand backed by a large transformer and (smart?) control cabinet.
    Another online video detailed how these stations will work, basically high voltage and current to (very) quickly charge your vehicle, maybe 20 minutes.
    I will assume it will be able to do Prius plug in, though I can't imagine waiting 2-3 hours to recharge, tyiing up a stand while other very fast charge cars have to wait for your pokey Prius to fill up. :mad: And besides with my Prius getting 24-26 miles/charge, I couldn't make it to the next charger anyway. :(
    Or just for discussion, would a 2018 hybrid be able to use these "high octane" charging stations?

2. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Hi , these "high octane" charging stations as you call them are probably Direct Current (DC) charging station.......Your PP and all PP are not capable of charging via DC charge station..so no tying up a stand. So if you need to charge because your traction battery is empty then get out of hybrid mode and put it in charge mode;) or stay in hybrid mode and charge at your destination.

#2 Louis19, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the stations are being built to encourage long distance bev driving, to easy range anxiety and hopefully get more people to switch for climate change.
    i'd like to have that contract

Louis19 likes this.
  4. Epo.Dot

Epo.Dot New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yesss, this great news for my Prius. Currently, the Prius is the car we use for longer trips, where we don't get any anxiety, or when we dont want to stop and charge my wife's i3S.