1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US Today

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by vvillovv, Feb 17, 2021.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Has the earth swung on it axis more than usual?

How much snow cover is in your area today according to this map

Weather Videos |More than 70% of the Lower 48 is Covered in Snow - sorry I can't get a direct link to the Title - but it should be available for a month or two if you want to find it in the queue.

Lets go .... space truckin
    the map shows Deep Purple where I'm at and it's just another normal Feb day here.

#1 vvillovv, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe the growth in population is making the world unbalanced.

We need to balance it like wheels on your car.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    https://www.un.org/development/desa/pd/

The UN ran a population clock online in the past, very much like the ones easy to find currently that are modeled after the UN's old clock. "Even a broken clock CAN be right twice a day" no guarantees lol ....

The UN also used to publish raw population data and the MATH? used to estimate the current (at the time) world population. It was quite striking to say the least.

believe what you like ....
    on this page https://www.un.org/development/desa/pd/ scroll down to the [ World Population - projectedworldpopulationuntil 2100 ] graphic and it wouldn't be too far fetched to just change the 2100 to 2021

it's too bad that the raw population data is not available any more on the UN population site (at least that I can see, anyways) so we can no longer https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/tom-murphy-profile/ ourselves.

edit: if this subject interest you and you know someone that remembers what the population was 50 years ago, of the city nearest to where you live, you can compare that number with the current worlds 150 largest cities by population...

#5 vvillovv, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another one of the Big Three issues our planet faces is the Bottom LIne and it's position in the current general business model.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When world population will peak, and at what number, is of particular interest to me. I attach a pdf that treats the matter thoroughly/

Figure 5 provides several scenarios for that. It also shows a later time for when 7 billion was reached, compared to the number I posted above.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How long has the world population estimate and calculations used to make the current and future estimates been of interest?

I'm fairly certain science will be very interested in effects of the current world pandemic on total population estimations in the very near future as well as any new global calamities experienced as time goes by.

just an example, if you may.
    starting on pg 5
    and continuing on pg 11
    Gives an idea about how complex the calculations are to arrive at an accurate estimation of even the current population, which in my mind is for lack of a better estimate, the best estimate.

All things said and done, whatever one believes, there's a lot of humans on the planet today.
    Or there wouldn't be such an extravagant complex study of it's estimations.

9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another Weather Underground video caught my attention today, so I googled it to see what others had to say about the scientific weather study. This is only one of many that I found using duckduckgo.com search
    Scientists Warn Alaska Thunderstorms Could Triple - DNA Zone by the year 2100.

Isn't artic ice supposed to already be melting at an accelerated rate?\

Not enough yet for the majority of the planets population to be concerned about?

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks Bob :cool:
    The first thing I take away from the page you linked for us is this little ditty.
    I'm not an alarmist by nature, no promises that will not change in the future or if it has not already changed.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Too many negatives, let us try a rewrite:
    • I'm an alarmist by nature, promises that will change in the future or if it has already changed.
    Being a little paranoid has served me well. So "alarmist" is OK.

The "future" can sometimes be approximated by a quality math model based on math, physics, chemistry, and statistics. I'm partial to 'Monte Carlo' models with well defined cellular elements. But these models require multiple runs to understand the results. This requires understanding of the strength and weaknesses of what is essentially a form of finite element analysis.

I appreciate you are curious and only wanted to share a solid source of past and current conditions.

Bob Wilson

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    True enough, alot of negatives in recent posts and a lag in response time due mainly to plumbing chores that finally needed immediate attention after being put off for too long.

I think the negatives were an experiment in gauging the PC membership rolling perception of where we're heading into the great unknown. So far is don't look like there is all that much interest in or at least much speculation about what out futures may look like given the current paths we find ourselves on.

I also didn't want to respond to your second post right away for two main reasons. One there is a lot subject matter in the post above and I wanted to think about the many ways to respond to any single one subject within the Monte Carlo models as a whole. And there are so many of them, at least to me not knowing exactly what the Monte Carlo method is in relation to yet.
    Secondly, I didn't was to just brush by your first post and get side tracked into a new discussion before I could get as much info from the NSIDC site as I could before moving on and possibly forgetting about it altogether.
    Ahd I still haven't finished up looking there as it leads to many other sites. One that even has data from the surface of the sun to the core of the earth. go figure, right? :)