1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USA to europe headlight fitting

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cismas.alex12, Apr 4, 2022.

1. cismas.alex12

cismas.alex12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello. I have a toyota Prius from USA which had an accident . I am going to buy them new headlights but all i can find is the Europe version how can I fit the Europe headlight to the USA car version?

#1 cismas.alex12, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2022
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As costly as they might be, you probably need the U.S. version of the headlight assemblies.

The headlight assemblies on fourth-generation Prius cars sold in Europe and Japan have integrated ECUs for headlight beam level control, a CAN bus connection from the main body ECU to the left headlight, and a LIN bus connection from the left headlight to the right headlight. Regulations in the U.S. don’t require the level control feature, so Toyota used a much simpler design, without CAN or LIN bus connections; instead, the main body ECU controls relays that are connected to the LO and SOL terminals on the headlight assemblies.

Even if you replaced the six-terminal headlight connectors (U.S.) with 24-terminal connectors (Europe or Japan) and added all the wires shown in the Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info), I’m not sure the U.S. version of the main body ECU and its firmware would be able to control European or Japanese headlight assemblies.

Depending on how the headlight assemblies were damaged, you might be able to replace only the mounting brackets. See parts catalog Figure 81-01, Headlamp, where these are illustrated under the heading “Special service parts for when only bracket is broken.” The Repair Manual gives installation instructions.

Mambo Dave and alanclarkeau like this.