1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USA Today: 2010 Ford Fusion is best gas-electric hybrid yet

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Feb 6, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota had a concept called the A-bat at last year's auto show. Haven't heard anything about it since then.

Here's a LINK.

3. bobsawyer7

bobsawyer7 New Member

Eastern Connecticut (the last green valley)
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a 1993 Ford Ranger that I use for a lot of chores and little jobs. It really comes in handy. I think there would be a lot of interest in something like it in a hybrid.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think everyone is all for all of those points, but the problem was that most reviews mention mpg that is way below EPA and at or below Camry hybrids, which perform at EPA levels.

so since "hybrid" is still new tech, customers can associate ford "hybrid" with all hybrids and it might give all hybrids bad rep.

5. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The hatchback has not been as popular in the US as it has been other places, say Europe, etc. But the hatchback was a key selling point for me. From the sales numbers on the Prius, I'd say it is acceptable and/or desirable to a lot of Americans today.

Acceleration on the Prius is ok, not great but certainly acceptable. The steering is a bit different & not a lot of feedback in a way, but it is stable & predictable. I changed to 195/60/15's tires & it is like a different car. My Prius certainly corners very well & the tire change improved feedback to the operator. To me, the vehicle is responsive & provides feedback, not just throught the steering wheel, but the entire vehicle. It is not a race car, but certainly handles well enough for a family sedan.

I don't want or need a large sedan, I got exactly what I wanted with my Prius. I got the size I wanted, four doors, hatchback & first & foremost, good mileage & reliability. Those two are my top priorities. PERIOD!!!! The Prius is also easy to maneuver & park. I love all the store places tucked here there & the other!!!! Never too many "glove boxes" you know.

What would I change? Styling maybe a bit, but not a biggie. The upside is I can spot/find my car easier in a parking lot. I could go for a tad quieter & a tad more stability in a stiff crosswind, but not really that big of a deal. Once in awhile I'd like a tad more power as I live in some pretty hilly country & busy traffic where you are stopped on a road interescting a highway with a long string of 70-80 mph vehicles. Sometimes tough to get in "line" & a long wait.

Every vehicle I've owned has had things I like & some I don't like. We'll see over the long haul, but so far the Prius is all I expected & more. I'd have to say it is the best car I have ever owned. I would have to rate it the highest satisfaction of any 4 wheeled motor vehicle I've ever owned.

The truth is, many American cars end up bigger, more goodies, faster, etc until the price of gas goes up & 90% of the American people complain the "manufacturers just don't build what we want". Right. They build what people buy. Go back & read about the first big oil fiasco in the early 70's. Small cars weren't selling until....

I suspect that when gas goes back up the desirability of the Prius will go up. If you don't own a Prius & just "review" one for whoever is peddling advertising or the latest car magazine, or whatever, it is certainly not comparable to the actual owners, consumer report type evaluations, etc. Not to single out any one vehicle, but the Fusion hybrid may be fine but it lacks one thing, a proven track record. If you like it, buy it. I drove & like my Prius. It simply has a longer track record.

I once owned a custom Harley & changed from the staggered duals to a 2 into 1 exhaust. A few mods & I rode this thing all over the US & it would trip the lights at 11.06. I had a biker buddy that complained every time we had a run about how he hated the sound & looks of my exhaust. After a year of the same old thing, I finally just had to ask him a question & he said, what? I asked him how they look from behind.

People are going to dog on the Prius until time stops. But in between, when gas gets high, they will still sell well. A rock solid history of low maintenance & good gas mileage is two gold stars in the plus column that is indisputable. I am not a hypermiler but even with the wider tires, I usually run 50 mpg +. The worst full tank I've had was 48 something, wind, cold, etc. It is warming up & I am sitting on 51+ mpg the last few tanks (combined). I am staying off the reset button with each refill, at least for awhile here. I'm happy.

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great post, with comments covering all of the aspects of the car that are important to me too, and I couldn't agree more with your conclusions.
    In particular, I am mystified by the many references in other posts on the "lack of feedback" in the steering. To me, the feedback is almost perfect, not too strong, and not too weak ... just right; subtle, but just right. Some of the steering sensitivity others complain about may be related to tire pressures ... I run mine at 42F/40R. Maybe factory level tire pressures (35F/33R) provide a different steering feel, and certainly wheel alignment will affect tracking. But in the 18 months I have had my Prius I still find it a delight to drive.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my Prius steering.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The hatchback design *was* very popular in the U.S., but like other style trends it ran its course and became uncool. In the 1970s and early 1980s the hatchback was the new family station wagon. The station wagon became old and died out, supplanted by the new and stylish hatchback design. By the mid '80s the hatchback had suffered the same fate at the hands of the minivan and SUV.

Automobiles suffer from the whims of fashion almost as much as clothing. Given time the hatchback will make a return.

Tom

9. Hetch1115

Hetch1115 New Member

Model:
    IV
    I hope the Fusion does well also but the only jobs creation will be in Mexico where they are made.I like how Toyota is investing in brick and mortar in this country,something that should be noted.Any senator would be boasting if they could get Toyota to invest in their state such as Alabama.It's all about jobs these days.

10. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They say opinions are like as* holes, everyone has one so if the FFH is 'better' than the Prius depends on who you ask and what they want/need the big question IMO is will we see a clean 75 MPG vehicle from the *new* GM this year - come on Fritz we've dumped lots of money into this project so now the lean & mean GM can turn on a dime so show me ...

11. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I too think its a great leap forward for Ford. I was looking forward to the Saturn Vue plug in hybrid. But what happens now that Saturn is gone?:confused: