1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Usability of the 11.6" screen?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Jeff25rs, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jeff25rs

Jeff25rs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been mostly looking at the Plus models because I don't think I would like the 11.6" screen. I'm so used to driving other cars where I can change climate controls and those things without having to look over to the center console. Is it easy to use the right buttons on the steering wheel to change climate settings? I've seen a number of threads on here where people complain about the glare off the screen blinding the driver or making it impossible to read the screen. Is this a really big problem for most people? Do some of you with Premium and Advanced cars wish it had the center console controls like the Plus?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's probably great if you use gps a lot.

3. Jeff25rs

Jeff25rs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I rarely use GPS.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't mess with climate controls much, so can't help with that. But I have never had a problem with glare like I did on my 2012 v.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's just a gussied up 7" screen then. some love it, some hate it, some are neutral. you're gonna have to test drive each model to see what's right for you.

6. Jeff25rs

Jeff25rs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is hard to test drive them when there are none in your state. I'm in the process of getting one out of state and I'm trying to do it without flying out there.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm... you're going to get a lot of varied opinions. let's see who can be the most persuasive!:cool:

8. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I test drove both and the 11” screen was difficult to use on the move. I also noticed a flickering in the screen that was very distracting that only appeared in the corner of my eye. Optometrists usually perform the flickering test, so my sensitivity just unfortunately is in the wrong spot. That might not be true for you.

I found the UI to be quite ugly featuring “pleasant” bubbles with magenta and teal colors, and was frustrated that it always starts in navigation whereas Tesla’s (who they’re trying to copy) shows you audio and other useful information instead.

I ended up going with the 7” and immediately got a feel for how to use it on the move. Think about it. This UI is only in the prime. Toyota probably scrapped something together in a short amount of time to compete with the model 3, and this screen cost them at most $300 of hardware and design. I would rather invest the 1.5k difference and get a nice return than deal with toyota’s attempt at outclassing a company that knows how to appeal to the new tech savvy generation.

The 7” screen isn’t great either. I just don’t think there’s any justification in spending more money for car infotainment.

'LectroFuel, HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  9. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    agree with @bisco, you'll get lots of opinions ... me, I have a Plus, and I'm happy with it, I don't use built-in GPS ...
    May I suggest you compare all features of the 3 models and base your decision on features that you need vs just the screen?

10. Jeff25rs

Jeff25rs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't need any of the features of the Premium or Advanced, but I would really like a moonstone interior. I'm looking at dealerships on the east coast and for some reason it seems like it is easier to find a Premium in blue with a moonstone interior. So at this point I'm weighing my options of paying a bit more to get a Premium with the interior I want and a 11" screen or getting the Plus with a black interior and getting the smaller screen that I want.

I've driven a regular 2017 prius with the moonstone interior and it just feels like a much more modern and pretty design.

11. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah I wish mine had moonstone too. For some reason all the blues and moonstones in stock and being manufactured are in the higher trims now.

12. Jeff25rs

Jeff25rs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The other options is to wait some undetermined amount of time for the order I placed in Colorado to finally get built. I've heard guesses of 4 months from one dealer and 9 months from another. That way I could get the colors I want but it would cost $3-4k more expensive than buying a Plus on the east coast with some accessories AND having it shipped back to Colorado.

The steep $5k discount out there makes a huge difference.

HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can be as much as $7-8,000. going by the pricing thread.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hear you. I would love to see a return to ergonomic, tactile climate controls, that you can adjust without needing to take your eyes off the road.

As to why they're dumping more controls into a touch screen? I think because they're allowed to. It's cheaper, nothing but programming. They're tantamount to driving while texting. I doubt it's gonna change soon, too much money involved.

15. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Or, you can use voice recognition to turn A/c on/off or adjust the temp. That's what I've been doing.

16. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Old habits die hard. I've been using knobs buttons and levers for 45+ years. It never comes to mind to try voice control.

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's hardly ever a need to adjust the climate controls. I just leave it in auto and adjust the temperature. Works great. Once in a while I will turn it off or turn Eco or S-Flow on or off. It's just one touch to open the controls. I like that it starts in map as that's what I want it in 99% of the time. It's handy just to have a map with traffic on it all the time. In fact I usually close all the controls to have more map, and I rarely use the bubbles. Using the steering wheel controls to adjust climate settings on the MID is massively harder than using the center touch screen. I NEVER do it that way for that reason.

Okopipi, tanner9868, blueterp and 2 others like this.
  18. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree. Steering wheel controls are fine for setting the display you want, but It's cumbersome way to adjust controls.

19. KCWhitney

KCWhitney Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That beautiful 11 inch screen is one of the main reasons I bought the car. It is so good to see a good map. It is simple to navigate. It's not perfect, glare is an issue. I think you need to be able to adjust the tilt of the screen. I have some minor other issues, but all in all it is great.

Also, there is a large clear "physical" (or as close to physical as it gets these days) button to adjust temp a few inches from the steering wheel. It not that difficult.

20. blueterp

blueterp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I love the big screen. Like any control system, it just takes a little getting used to. Using the steering wheel climate control while driving is not an option.