1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Usability of the 11.6" screen?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Jeff25rs, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I know it is really depend on each one's habit, but it is so easy to search or the app is smart enough that I just touch the address to bring me to maps on my phone, it is much more difficult with even Garmin, no need to mention the GPS on Prius. Off course it is a problem when you got a phone call, but I always use car speaker during phone call, and keep the phone screen for GPS.

For area without signal like Yellowstone, I would download the Google offline map and that is very useful.

I really feel the 11" LCD is a waste without too much useful information except the huge map. Large screen is cool if proper info was displayed without too much reflection. But it is just kind if "Tesla has it, I also have it". Most useful information is still in same place as other and old Prius. It is not even half cooked.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the screen is just OK. Not amazing, but not bad. I'm not a fan of the long startup time where I can't turn off the HVAC or radio when I immediately turn on the car.

Compared to our Tesla, the map feels like a bit of a kludge - it feels more primitive (i.e. map looks like bitmap graphics). However, it does show useful information that the Tesla doesn't (e.g. amenities at different rest stops when you're on the highway).

The one thing that drives me nuts about it is the fact that I often notice it flickering in my peripheral vision, probably due to some PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation) driving the backlight LEDs.