1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB and 12v plug (Cigarette Lighter) not working

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thaimin, Jan 6, 2017.

1. thaimin

thaimin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    About 6 months ago I got a used 2013 Prius v II and have been loving it. However there have been a few issues with the power outlets (the 12v cigarette lighter and the USB port).

When I got the car the 12v cigarette lighter usually worked, but sometimes my phone battery would actually drain instead of charge. This happened with multiple different chargers and cables but I assumed it was a problem with my phone and not the car as I have had other battery-related issued and other phones seem to charge fine.

Now about a week ago things have gotten significantly worse. First the cigarette lighter went out. No charger would even show the blue light or whatever showing it had power and not device would think it was plugged in. Just before this I started receiving messages on the phone saying the "Accessory is not supported".

Moved over to using the USB port which worked fine but that too stopped charging anything a few hours later and devices were no longer recognized as being plugged in with the audio system. Tried multiple cables and devices.

I made do with it and just now checked the fuses which I thought were going to be culprit, but they are just fine (I checked #1 and #3 fuses in under the steering wheel which are labelled CIG and PWR OUTLET). All other electronic components seem to be fully functional (e.g. audio still plays over Bluetooth, the touchscreen thing works fine).

So what else could be the culprit? Is it possible that whole section (the panel containing the
    AUX/USB ports and power outlet) has to be replaced? What is that panel called?

Thanks!

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'd have the 12V battery checked. When it starts failing, many strange things have been reported.

3. thaimin

thaimin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Checked the battery and it is fine (about 12.4v in acc mode). Also, these problems occurred while the car had been actively running for hours, thus it should have been well over-charged (probably like 14+ volts). But it is good to know strange problems can be caused by the 12v battery.