1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB and Safety Connect Are Almost Here!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, folks, we're finally ready to make a little announcement on these features! (hopefully you heard it here first...)

Beginning with August production, Prius will come with an available USB Port with iPod® Connectivity and the all-new available telematics service, Safety Connect.

The USB Port will be factory-equipped on all models with the navigation system beginning in August. It will enable the user to connect several different peripheral dvices (such as an iPod® or USB jump drive) using a standardized interface socket. Drivers can select and play songs on their device through the audio screen on the navigation system and controls on the steering wheel.

Factory-equipped MSRP for this feature will be $230. Customers who have already purchased a 2010 Prius with the navigation system can elect to have their dealership install the USB Interface Kit for $240 MSRP (excluding labor).

In addition, Toyota’s all-new telematics service, Safety Connect™, will become available on the 2010 Prius. Safety Connect will offer four safety and security features: Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assistance Button (SOS), and Roadside Assistance. Safety Connect will be available by subscription, with an included one-year trial subscription. MSRP for the system and service will be $450.One-year renewal subscriptions to Safety Connect will be available for $139.95, with multi-year subscriptions also available.

Basically, units with these features should start arriving anywhere between 3rd week in August and 2nd week in September, depending on where you live (East Coast will tend to be later).

Also, don't go searching for a press release cause there isn't one, but you can find a few pics here.

Happy buying!

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

14 people like this.
  2. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will the interface basically look the same as the one that is available now through some dealers?

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh Prius Team, tell me the USB option will work on a 2008 with JBL / NAV.....

How much to buy as a part, I can install it myself!!!

4. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It was not designed to work with that system, but I'm not sure anyone has tried. Odds are it won't... sorry.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you confirm Safety Connect will still be on nav units only, without an upgrade option for current owners? Thanks.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice! $230 isn't a bad price to be honest.

7. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yup. And only on Nav units on Prius IV and V (not III).

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

8. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Doug,

The other change we are looking for is in the steering "feel" on the 15" models. Any word on that?

9. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is safety connect an option or will it be installed on all IV and V models?

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When will the USB & iPod interface kit be available in dealer stock for those of us who purchased cars at the release?

Also, do you have a part number, since there have been a few iPod connection accessories, and I want to ensure I have the correct part number?

11. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    By tomorrow, you could go to the dealer and at least ask them when they will have them. The part # is PT233-47100.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

7 people like this.
  12. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Its about time, its also needed for the 2004-2009, and it would be nice if Toyota was more concerned about the sound quality of the radio system, so that this improvement would really justify the cost.

13. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What audio formats will play with this usb hookup. Crappy mp3 only? May I suggest supporting FLAC for those of us who actually appreciate music.

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to the owner's manual (which I posted in another thread):
    It supports MP3 and WMA Files.

15. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    - why is it only on IV and V, and not on III? i do not understand the logic behind this
    - what will people with III do - get it installed as a separate item ($240 mSRP+labor)? if that is the case, then people will avoid navigation, and get this as a standalone add-on

doug,

your original post says,
    "The USB Port will be factory-equipped on all models with the navigation system beginning in August".
    All models does not include II/III as well?

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In the answer you are quoting from, Doug was responding to my question about Safety Connect, which has nothing to do with the USB connector. As he said, the USB connector will install on any model with nav.

17. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    oops!soory. thx fopr the clarification

18. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This seems like a bit much to spend on this, but if you have the nav system anyway...

Remember a 6-CD changer can be turned into a 4.8GB MP3 player by filling it with MP3-Cds, and there's no additional cost to you.

19. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Will it be possible to buy a IV or a V with nav but without usb and safety connect. If those become mandatory parts of the Nav package, then people who simply want a sunroof but don't care about nav/usb/safetyconnect will have to pay an astounding $4280!

Please don't say yes but not in your region. You will have to go buy one in the Aleutian Islands and drive it home.:rolleyes:

It is time to unbundle the nav from the sunroof!

20. theowl

theowl Prius Convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for posting this. The price is more reasonable than I expected, so I definitely want this.

I called around to the local (DC/Northern Virginia area) dealerships and asked to order this using the part # above. They all told me that the number is not valid and, therefore, could not be ordered. Maybe it takes a little while for the information to make it into dealer's databases after Toyota Headquarters makes it available?

Also, I had an interesting conversation with the parts department at Koons Arlington. They told me not to bother with the Toyota part because they offer what they say is a "superior" product, something called VAIS SL2I-UP. I told him that I wanted the Toyota OEM part, not something from an aftermarket manufacturer. He kept trying to get me to order the VAIS and said that I'd be waiting forever for the Toyota OEM part.

Can anyone in DC / Northern Virginia let me know if they have any luck ordering the Toyota OEM part (the one mentioned by the OP) from a local dealer?