1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB and Safety Connect Are Almost Here!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Eventually, all our stock of units without USB (and SC on IV/V) will be sold out, so you won't be able to get a car with Nav without getting that equipment.

We're studying unbundling Nav from Solar Roof, but if it ever does happen, it won't be this model year. We know some people want that, but it introduces a couple problems. First, as we've mentioned, there are supply limitations on SR, so increasing demand for it isn't what we need right now. Second, it introduces complexity of the product offering, which we abhor. All that said, it's still on the table for the future.

Thanks,

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

2. candela

candela New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doug,

If I understand you correctly, eventually one will only be able to get Nav with SC. I put a deposit down months ago for a Prius IV with SR but wanted to wait for SC. It was my understanding that SC would be included in the price when it became available. Now I see that it adds another $450. Does this mean that, from now on, the Nav comes with SC at a price of $2250 and the SR package will become $4050?

Thanks

3. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The new Prius IV SR will be $3600 + 450 + 230 = $4280

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

4. browe83

browe83 New Member

Model:
    V

Does the new USB kit work with the iPhone 3GS?

I'd like to use the iPhone as my USB music player (so I can use the steering wheel controls for track switching) while the iPhone is paired with the Prius via bluetooth for phone calls.

Also, does this USB kit charge the iPod/iPhone while it is connected?

Thanks for this update, and for any further info you can provide.

-browe83

5. bpollard

bpollard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm assuming Safey Connect is non-upgradeable...

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I ordered the USB interface kit today. I had to speak to a few dealers before I was able to find one to order it, since it doesn't show up yet as a valid part number.

Fortunately the parts guy at the dealer I bought my Prius at (Toyota Sunnyvale--there's a bunch of dealers closer, but once again they're worth the drive) took the initiate to look in a second system, and it showed it was released August 1, there were ~2,000 in the regional warehouse in southern California, with ~40 in transit to the bay area warehouse. I should have it by the end of the week. As Doug indicated, $240 + tax + install (I may attempt it myself).

7. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    how easy is it to be self-isntalled? I would like to be able to install it myself but if it involves ripping open a lot of panels and stuff I rather would have to dealer do it.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    non-upgradeable - see post #7 above.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  10. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The install doesn't look that hard but I'd rather have it done professionally given that it's a brand new car. Any idea of the dealer charge to do the install?

11. KD4MNI

KD4MNI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The USB Interface Kit is a clear improvement over the glovebox-mounted iPod Adapter Cable kit, and should replace it in almost all applications. It is a much cleaner and comprehensive implementation, both hardware and software.

The console AUX jack is replaced with a dual USB jack/AUX jack fixture that fits in the same hole. The kit's electronics module mounts inside the front console, below the OEM radio.

I reviewed the documentation and discovered that the kit does NOT include the white iPod/iPhone adapter cable (or the iPod) shown in the photos. The user provides their own USB-to-iPod or USB-to-iPhone adapter cable which they plug into the kit's USB jack, through which the device is charged and controlled (similar to existing Lexus, Scion, Camry kits). So, you might want to pick up an extra USB-to-iPod adapter cable to leave tucked inside your Prius center console :)

Supported iPods/iPhones:
    • Nano (as from firmware Version 1.021.01)
    • Nano G2 (as from firmware Version 1.02)
    • Generation 5 (as from firmware Version 1.021.01)
    • iPhone (as from firmware Version 1.021.01)
    • Playlists, Album, Songs supported (artist and genre are not supported)
    • Device charging is supported

1 person likes this.
  12. assassin

assassin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems to me that they should give free installs to anyone with a 2010 since it was obviously an oversight that they didn't ship with this ready to go. Installation costs could easily be an additional $150 or more.

1 person likes this.
  13. xanmato

xanmato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great... half nice person ipod support. Doesn't play Apple's choice of audio format, AAC (.m4a). Might as well burn a bunch of mp3s on CDs.

Damnit, I was wanting this too... :mad:

14. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Doug,

It means a lot to me that our voices are being heard and considered.

I have a solution to your product complexity porblem. It is a customer friendly approach currently being used by my favorite car company, Toyota (for the Scion brand). Every Scion is shipped with the audio bay empty. The dealer installs the customers choice of base audio, upgraded audio or audio with nav. Other parts of Prius bundles, such as autodiming mirror with homelink are port or dealer installed options.

With this approach, you could actually have fewer configurations that dealers and customers would have to hassle with while customers could get what they want without having to pay for features they do not want.

15. gebjeff

gebjeff New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Will the USB and iPod interface kit work in a III without NAV?

16. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Other than disabling satellite radio, what exactly is the difference between part # PT545-00082 and PT233-47100 (as shown at PriusChat Shop : 2010 Toyota Prius OEM iPod Interface Integration Kit [PT545-00082] - $209.99 The former is also supposed to be an OEM Toyota part.

17. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Calm down, the MP3/WMA limitation only applies to USB mass storage devices, not the iPod.

18. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have to believe you'll be able to play AAC files on your iPod, otherwise it's not much of an iPod integration.

The quote I gave above was from the USB section of the manual.

19. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  20. xanmato

xanmato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After reading through the manual a bunch of times, I saw that mp3 and wma only under the USB section as well. Do the older ipod integration kits work with AAC files?