1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB and Safety Connect Are Almost Here!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Aug 3, 2009.

1. swerthei

swerthei Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I ordered my 2010 Prius V at the beginning of July, I specifically asked my salesperson whether a full iPod integration would be coming soon, as I had heard rumors about this. He assured me that the only available iPod integration was the existing one that is not compatible with XM radio, and that no further integration was forthcoming. Based on that information, I decided to order my Prius then, rather than wait. Now I find out that if I had waited just a few more weeks before ordering, I would have gotten this option that I want.

I've told my salesperson that, since the MSRP is being raised to account for the USB integration, it would be fair for me to pay for the part, but that my dealer should pay for the labor to install it. I'm hoping that they will agree without a fight, but if not I will certainly post more about it here.

2. dsviv

dsviv Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you attempt to install the EOM USB/AUX upgrade yourself will it have any affect on the warranty?

3. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Only if you break something in the process of installing it, then whatever you break won't be covered under warranty. (You should probably double check with the dealer to make sure that's the case though.)

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the great write-up.

I'm interested in knowing if you can select a file or track when the car is moving, or if it's locked out like many nav and CD functions.

Also looking forward to a scan of the owners manual.

FWIW, the list price of the part is $240, so I would call the dealer and ask for a price adjustment.

5. dk2463

dk2463 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So the Bay Area (SF, Marin) seem to be sold out or don't have it. Anyone know a way to find availability? I'd like to get this installed soon.

thanks

Doug

6. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll test it on the way home.

Do you have anything official that states this, because I specifically asked the parts department about it when I was given the price and they insisted that $268 was the list price.

7. qlanus

qlanus Junior Member

Model:
    V
    The key question for me is whether this supports the iPhone's ipod functionality. If so, does it charge too? Lastly, what happens when a call comes in while playing?

8. dogllama

dogllama New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just called my dealer and talked to the parts department who did not know anything about it. Is that who you talked to in getting this installed? Should I be calling it something besides "USB/Ipod integration kit"?

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe Doug Coleman quoted $240 in the first post of this thread, and my dealer confirmed that's the list price.

10. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's a part number in an earlier post in this thread. My dealer's parts department hadn't heard of it either until I gave them the number...they then ordered it and had it the next day.

11. Prius2010818

Prius2010818 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    does anyone know if you have the new IPOD interface and there are videos on the ipod, will they play through the nav screen?

12. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I sure hope not!!! :eek:

13. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's a sloppy demo of the interface. No video can be played from the iPod and it doesn't work with the iPhone (you can control the music but there's no sound.)

UPDATE: Here's a slightly better demo, this time showing the new USB/AUX port and using an iPod Touch:

20 people like this.
  14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sounds cool, but the inability to scroll by letters will be an inconvenience. i have an 80 GB ipod with around umm... heck, i dont know... 3-4,000 songs or so. (still have about 15 GB of empty space)

but then again...is it the Pri interface or the i pod?? since the i pod does not have the ability to jump to any letter on the list either, its simply putting up with the limitations that we have always put up with.

now that thing about playing the song at the top of the scroll list...that is a bit different

15. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The problems navigating a large library are pretty substantial:

- You can't scroll quickly
    - You can't search
    - You can't jump to a section of the alphabet
    - You can't scroll through a list without changing the current song
    - Each time you come back to a list it's reset to the beginning

In other words, don't plan on using the interface to select a specific song/artist/album/etc. if you have more than 50 or so of them. What the interface does best is let you play randomly through a genre or playlist (again assuming you don't have too many of them) with the ability to skip songs you don't feel like listening to without taking your hands off the wheel. Is this worth $400? If it saves you from one accident while you're messing with your iPod then sure. Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? I'm not so sure.

16. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks a lot for the video, cpatch.
    I'm glad I got to see this, because now I don't think I'll be paying for it.
    I'd rather use the aux audio input.

Wth is up with not being able to scroll through albums/artists without the song changing??
    Wth is the point of having a 160 gb iPod and a boatload of music if it's gonna be awkward and take forever to find what you want to hear??? (I'm not blaming you, I too have a huge mp3 collection.)
    There's not even controls for next/previous track on the screen? (lame)
    It forces you to use steering controls??

As for the sluggish delay when switching songs/artists...my Kenwood didn't do that.
    Your iPod doesn't slug when you're using headphones, does it?
    The Kenwood stereo I'm coming from wasn't sluggish at all...and you could FAST FORWARD and REWIND (these are basic controls!)...and it showed album artwork... and a ton of other simple and convenient things that this one apparently doesn't do.

For a car with such advanced technology, and for dealing with such an advanced personal audio device like an iPod, this interface seems like something out of the 1980's.
    Now I'm sad. :(

It just bums me out. It seems to me like it would be more convenient to just control the music directly from the iPod itself. You can continue listening to a song while you search and queue up the next one. You can use the click wheel to scroll through artists/albums/songs...and it is lightning fast. It shows you album artwork.
    The only real benefit of this interface that I can see is the "next track" button on the steering wheel. The fact that it charges the iPod is cool, but if you keep your iPod in the center console, isn't there a power source in there anyway??

In my opinion, it just doesn't do the iPod justice.
    Sorry to rant, but I just think that the iPod is an incredible device that is being given the crapstick on this one. It's one of the coolest devices since recorded music was invented.
    It deserves better!!

17. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can also use the Seek/Track buttons to the right of the nav screen. Otherwise I agree with your assessment. Frankly if I had to go back and do it all over I would probably buy the III without the nav and put in an aftermarket system.

BTW, here are the scans of the manual I promised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Let me be the first to say it - Toyota, you incredible techno luddite morons! You chose a part that doesn't support the iphone?! :eek:

How can you have been so stupid? :confused:

If there are lockouts, that just ices the cake...

1 person likes this.
  19. globalcivilian

globalcivilian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I second that comment. What on earth? Why would they release an iPod kit in the fall of 2009 that doesn't support the iPhone or iPod Touch. Both of these devices are somewhat supported by the older USB kit and the proliferation of the iPhone and iPod Touch are increasing quarter after quarter.

20. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, thanks for the video. That certainly clears up a lot of questions. Now I'm kinda glad that its not even an option for my "non-nav" JBL system. :)