1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB-C ports do full speed charging?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by vermouth, Jan 5, 2024.

1. vermouth

vermouth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Will any of the USB-C ports charge a Samsung phone (S22, etc) in "ultra fast charging" mode? I can easily add a 12V adapter if not, but I don't take delivery for a few weeks and was curious.

Related question, if an adapter is required, is it more energy efficient to use a 12V adapter or the standard AC plug in the rear with a home charger?

Edit: this thread answers the first question — they're limited to 5V 3A. I'd still appreciate thoughts on question 2 though.

#1 vermouth, Jan 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  2. vermouth

vermouth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    To answer question 2, 12V DC chargers are more efficient in cars

3. priusdriver223

priusdriver223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Hey there, I'm not sure how many watts your samsung charges in "ultra fast charging" but my iphone charges at max speed (20w) with no issue. All I can say is that it charges pretty quickly. Cheers!

4. Wieland

Wieland New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have a 24 Prime XSE. The charge ports are not sufficient to charge my S24 ... Not even close. I installed an app to monitor the charge and it is actually losing battery when using the already sketchy android auto setup on the "infotainment" screen. The wireless charger outs out the most ... Even more than plugging my wall charger into the 110 outlet. BUT the phone gets so hot it has to stop charging as a safety precaution. So really the only way I can charge is the old fashion 12v cigarette lighter adapter. Kinda sucks since the car has six USB C ports and two 110 outlets. But it is what it is. It's a budget car so I don't expect it to be able to charge every phone. It does charge the iPad very well from any of the ports however. So Apple seems to have better power management it seems. Kinda disappointed in the tech of this car but I didn't expect to much.

artieb likes this.