1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB charging of iPhone

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by samalone, Feb 9, 2012.

1. samalone

samalone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife and I just bought a Prius v Five with the basic navigation/Entune system (not the JBL system).

It's actually back at the dealership now because the navigation/Entune system disappeared! (Apps button says "System not installed".) They're working on the problem and I hope to have the car back soon.

However, it surprised me that when I connected my iPhone 3Gs or my wife's iPhone 4 to the USB port under the stereo, absolutely nothing happened. No indication of charging, and no indication in the audio system that I had connected an iPod. I tried two different Apple cables that work fine on laptops, and neither cable worked. Both phones connect fine via Bluetooth and can play audio, but it's like the USB port is completely dead.

The woman at the service desk said that Android phones will charge via the AUX port, but that iPhones don't charge. This seems completely wrong to me -- I thought that USB provided power, and AUX was audio only.

So what's the real story? Should my iPhones be charging from the USB port (and I should push back on the service department), or is the woman at the service desk correct that the USB port does nothing with an iPhone?

2. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did the Apps ever work? Might be a loose or unconnected harness in the back. That's also where the USB cable plugs in, so maybe the harness just didn't get connected right when it was built or a bad radio. Yes, it should charge the iPhone.

3. tomtomsf

tomtomsf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, you know Apple iPhones, etc are fussy about their chargers. Have you ever seen the "This accessory is not supported" message? If so, you know that you can not use just any old charger. That said, in most cases the iPhone will actually trickle charge from a non-supported accessory. It just takes it a lot longer to charge. On your next trip, look at your battery percentage then plug into your Prius USB. Unplug the phone after some time and check the percentage again. You will probably see it has gone up.

Tom G.

port

4. buckaroo

buckaroo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My iPhone charges.

5. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a v and have no problem charging an iPhone 4 via USB.

iPad ?

6. MarathonMarty

MarathonMarty Prii 4-timer

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    no problems charging in my v three

7. thomcat

thomcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    USB port is more for data than charging. I have an Android, and it charges, but slower than off a USB laptop or wall adapter. By using an "Accessory to USB" adapter in the Lighter socket, the charging is much faster.

I've plugged other devices in to the micro USB (MP3 player, Reader) and had them fail to charge at all. Must be low amperage...

8. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is exactly my experience with my iPhone 4. It does charge from the Prius v USB port but its much slower than when charging from a regular USB charger.

9. samalone

samalone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The problem was that the entire nav unit harness had come loose, including the USB connection. When they fixed the nav unit, the iPhone started charging. As some have said, it charges slowly, but it works.

The women in the service department was pretty mixed up about USB vs. aux charging, though. Not confidence inspiring.

10. Seamus Warren

Seamus Warren New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My iPhone 6s Plus seems to charge okay via the USB/AUX.

The iPad Mini 4 is a different story.

The iPad battery went flat and could not recharge fast enough to meet demand as I was using energy intensive GPS with Spotify.

I switched to the iGear lighter socket to USB double adapter, which appeared to make little difference at either 1A or 2.1A.

Tomorrow I’ll try a Belkin 2.4A in the hope 0.3A will make a difference.

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Charging of any iPhone or iPad requires at least 5v at 1000 ma. This is not the usb Standard . The official Toyota Prius USB port is limited to 5v at 500 ma. It’s impossible to charge any smart phone with regular usb 2 power unless the iPhone is turned off. USB ports that put out 1000 ma or 2100 ma or more was Steve Jobs idea. He had to boost his USB port power when they stopped making FireWire iPods and you guys got so used to charging off of any USB port that you forgot how little power usb 1 or USB 2 puts out

If you connect any iPhone to usb 2 500 ma. It will just be a floating charge and the phone will eventually run out of power

The Newer iPhones will even ask for 5v 2100 ma. Which is what iPads ask for. The usb c ones will even ask for more.

Your iPhones is asking the Prius for the the highest power that your Prius will give it and your Toyota says oh no sorry you only get 500 ma.

Usb doesn’t just dump power. Your iPhone has to ask for power.