1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB Drive Size for music - for my Prius v (lowercase v wagon)

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by BOODA62, Nov 6, 2015.

1. BOODA62

BOODA62 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have used 2 Flash Drives with 32gb capacity and 1 FD with 8gb capacity. Both work in my 2015 Prius v lowercase v for the Prius v wagon), but while all the albums and artists and songs are listed on the menu, only some of the albums and songs play. I created the FDs from original commercial CDs that I ripped on my Win7 computers and burned to the FDs on the same computers. The problem is that some albums play just fine and show the album cover. Other albums show nothing or some Egyptian Hiueorglyphics, but do not play the songs. All songs were stored in the .wma format since I used Windows Media Player to rip and burn the albums.

Any suggestions. I stored four albums on the 8gb FD thinking there was a capacity problem, but the same albums played and the ones that did not play from the 32gb FD did not play from the 8gb FD either. All songs and albums play fine on my computers.
    I would expect that if there was a format problem, none of the songs would play or if the FD was corrupted, would not play anything either, but 30-40% of the songs do play fine, although have to advance to another album when have finished with one that plays.

Incidentally have tried the same FDs in my 2010 Camry Hybrid and again have the same problem except being older, takes much longer to load the master list of artists, etc.

Certainly is a pain, since I thought I could take a Flash Drive instead of 20-30 CDs when travelling, plus unlike my Camry, CD player only holds one disk at a time.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find it really difficult to access music if your drive is over 4gb. It's just too much information to handle for such a cheap (not based on price) system.

3. BOODA62

BOODA62 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am not certain that the size of the Flash Drive is the problem. I have read elsewhere that people with 16 and 32gb drives have no problems. I tried an 8gb drive with 4 albums (2 that worked on the larger fd and 2 that did not work) with no better results.
    I could not find any 4gb flash drives.

4. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I have about 1600 songs on my 32gb drive. All of them are in the mp3 format. I believe mp3 handles tags better than the other formats (artist info and tracks etc) i have no issues with playback. Although i just set it to Random it let it go.

If you can, Try to Rip the cd's to MP3 (some free software if you search around). Mp3 files are typically smaller than the other formats and take up less space on a drive.

I also think that the Radio handles mp3 files better than the other formats.. (but that is my opinion only)

5. D_n_D

D_n_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 13 v3 and have used 64gb and 128gb flash drives with no issues with mp3 or jpg.

Bitrate can cause a problem along with software used for ripping/downloading. Also licensing, tags etc for the mp3.

Backed up iTunes songs can be modified and locked to iTunes. (Or at least use to happen) I never allowed iTunes on any pc I had.