1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB flash drive problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by slai50, Jan 4, 2016.

1. slai50

slai50 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone else here having problems with USB flash drives in their Gen 3 prius? I have my music separated into 4 folders on the USB stick but whenever I use it in the prius, it refuses to recognize the individual folders. Instead, it just alphabetizes all the songs from all 4 folders and plays them that way. Are there any file sorting programs that will make the prius recognize the individual folders on my USB stick?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, it's a pretty funky system.:cool:

xpcman likes this.
  3. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    No issue here. Make sure your flash drive is FAT32.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello and welcome. You will find a Wikipedia Library in here regarding this issue. Try this; If you have a MP3 player, I would just format your USB drive in FAT32, then copy your MP3 players software into the USB drive and that should do it. The on board radio for the Prius doesn't seem to know how to recognize a USB drive that doesn't have its own built in MP3 software. By doing this, your radio will now obey the rules now set in the USB which is now using the MPG software as its navigation.

6. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This has nothing to do with fat32 formatting.
    The prius entume system ignores all directory structure.
    It also ignores all file names.

It reads the id3 tags inside the mp3 files, and derives things like album, artist, and song name. If you don't have the correct id3 tags, it will confuse the entune software. I recommend mp3tag to edit the id3 tags inside the mp3 files.

Personally, I prefer mp3 players that know about directories and look at file names, but that is not the toyota entune system.

Sometimes the entune software gets confused by id3 tags. On one album it knows how many tracks it has, but thinks all of the tracks are fhe first track song. It works with the same files on a different usb flash drive.

If you have 2 files with the same id3 info, entunes also gets quite confused.

These are bugs that may get fixed one year...

7. BillyBuerger

BillyBuerger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have to disagree with this statement. I have never heard of any car audio player that would run software off a USB drive to play MP3 files. That would be a huge security risk as that software could contain a virus or just misbehave and cause all sorts of issues. I don't know about the fancier Entune units, but the non-Entune unit I have plays MP3 just like some crappy MP3 player that doesn't read folder structures and just plays files in the order they are written on the disk. As discussed in the links provided by qdllc.

8. DaveDostal

DaveDostal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It only will find 498 songs in any one folder. You have to split the music up. Up to 498 folders also

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gen 3 came with several flavors of infotainment system; two in 2010 and 2011 (the basic LCD-display radio, and the 7-inch screen with navigation), and more in 2012+ (the basic radio, a 6.1-inch screen with Entune, and a 7-inch nav like the earlier one but different).

It might be tricky to generalize over how all of them handle MP3s. My 2010 7-inch does seem to respect folders; I can switch between folders with long presses on the steering wheel track buttons, or between tracks with short presses.

I have a 2012 7-inch (on a shelf, not in the car), and if I remember right from playing with it on the shelf, it also respected folders. (And it can play DVDs, which the 2010-11 one can't.)