1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB memory

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Bobdski, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tried USB memory on my new PRIME. The memory stick came off from my previous Gen3 Prius which was playing all the music on it fine. Strangely, after inserting USB memory into the USB port on the center console, the PRIME's audio system does not recognize this memory. i.e. Under "Audio Source" USB icon is dimmed. Is there anything I need to do to "turn on" USB port?

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the USB port work when you connect your phone?

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your comment. My new PRIME's USB port with USB memory stick in it worked after stopping the car and starting it again next time. However, there has been intermittent loss of connectivity between the car and USB memory, and I was forced to turn off AUDIO and restarting it in order to connect back to the USB. I have not tried with phone connecting to USB yet.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  4. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be you need a new USB stick, a software update, or a new USB port. The larger Prime infotainment system is prone to glitches.

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I will try different USB memory to see if the problem disappear. I am still new to this car and all the electronics that was not present in my previous Gen3 model. Is software update something I can DIY or does it require dealer service on this car? Do you know?

'LectroFuel likes this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Page 427 of the owner's manual tells you where you can get a software update, so I think it's DIY:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 12.11.49 PM.png

Second to the bottom button in General Settings. You might not have an available software update. If not, I'd say take it to the dealer or get a new flash drive.

7. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure the new stick is formatted properly. Before you ask, it's in the manual.:p FAT 16/32, MP3, WMA, AAC, maximum 255 items per folder, maximum 9,999 folders.

Note, page 108 says if an iPhone is connected via BT AND USB is connected at the same time, it may become unstable.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I will give a try. Before taking it back to a dealer, I definitely need to read the manual.;)

'LectroFuel and Mark57 like this.
  9. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I added this above after you replied.

Note, page 108 says if an iPhone is connected via BT AND USB is connected at the same time, it may become unstable.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That maybe what was going on. I don't have iPhone but had iPod in the car which was connected via BT AND USB was connected to the Thumbdrive. Will see not having iPod connected via BT solve the problem.

Mark57 likes this.
  11. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I can confirm that this is common to Entune. It does it in both our Camry and my 4Runner with Entune. Apple devices and USB on Entune just don't like each other. It's in all the manuals for vehicles with Entune. Its usually as footnote. We've been cussing/discussing it on the 4Runner forums since 2014.

For trouble shooting, always reduce the variables. Don't connect anything else and just plug in your USB stick and see if it works OK. Then add other things to see what makes it break.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am revisiting this thread. Reading several other threads on this topic, for example; USB music? | PriusChat
    A note about high capacity USB sticks in the Prime | PriusChat, it is clear USB music play on Prime works better with smaller size memory sticks with smaller number of folders and music files in them. I have not figured out what is the best numbers (GB, and # of files), but a USB hub with switch like this one can be used to switch from one USB to another or even to iPod on fly. This works better than having all files in a single memory stick and constantly adding new songs. I just hope Toyota would let me browth more folders than currently allowed while driving. IMG_20170921_165605.jpg

#32 Salamander_King, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017