1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB MP3 track limit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rhfritz, Jun 5, 2016.

1. rhfritz

rhfritz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    IV
    I've apparently discovered a track limit of 767 in a single CD folder. In recent years I've switched from music to downloaded audio books. I prefer CD's because they remember the position and have never gotten a mp3 data-DVD to work. Regardless, I routinely take the audio book and run the mp3 files through a track splitter so that if I change disks, I don't have to sit and Fast Forward through hours of audio to get back to my restart point. I had created a single CD with multiple parts of the same book split into 3 minute tracks and all dumped into the same folder. The player wouldn't advance past the 767th track. If you look at 767 in Binary, ‭001011111111‬, then 768 is ‭001100000000‬. Clearly the player is using a 10-bit counter.

The head unit is quirky because if you're playing a CD, it'll remember your position across input-source changes. The USB stick does not. So if you normally listen to a book on USB but subsequently have a passenger who wants to listen to the radio, you have to reposition the book afterwards.

#1 rhfritz, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    767 is kind of arbitrary. But good to know if folks are just dumping all of their mp3's unorganized in one folder & have an issue.

My car is my office so I pass a lot of time between sites with audiobooks. I've never had an issue with losing my spot in a long (40 to 60 minute) track. I keep the books on a USB stick that doesn't get pulled out till I need to load up another book. If I flip to FM, turn off the car, or even receive a phone call, it just picks up where I left off. If I'm in a music mood, I just play the radio or bluetooth from the phone. Pulling the USB stick will make it 'forget' it's spot in the book.

3. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    odd/
    I always pull my usb stick to add/remove stuff; & I always wondered how this stereo manages to just go on where I left it the last time (in the middle of the song)

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found there to be a 255 file limit per folder. This is on a Prius Two (2013). 255 is a common number in computers as an upper limit.

So, when I put MP3 files on my USB drive for the Prius, I limit the number per folder to 250-ish.

This might also be an "indexing" issue. I have a Garmin GPS with MP3 storage/playback capability. Putting MP3s into subfolders of more limited quantity lets the software "boot" faster than having hundreds of MP3s in one directory.