1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB music?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by eddd, Dec 31, 2016.

1. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I saw in the manual there is a system setting to show artwork. The manual says that artwork should be able to be displayed with a USB drive.

Update: artwork is displayed on music played from my thumb drive. I also saw the Gracenote logo displayed for a fraction of a second as the song started.

#21 MikeDee, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    So my roughly 500 albums and 5000 songs fall within these restrictions but my browse button never ungrays.

Any ideas? I guess I can start by removing half and then if that works ad half of what I removed or if that doesn't work remove half again of the first half. i.e. binary search until I get down to the thing that blew its mind.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m not sure. I know it indexes and it can take time but usually not more than a few minutes. Granted, I have an iPod plugged in, not a thumbdrive and I also don’t have anywhere near the maximum number of files or folders.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I let it sit there with the ignition on for an hour and it the browse never ungrayed.

Also, album artwork doesn't appear. I have it in each album folder. Sad thing is that this same thumb drive with the same content worked flawlessly on the loaner durango I had last year including decent browsing and all artwork showing up.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just for a quick test, I added the first 100 albums or so and that worked after about a minute of indexing. I thought my Tesla was slow since it takes about 3 minutes to index all 500+ albums.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Looks like most of my cover art is in the 500x500 range. Most of it was pulled by itunes when I ripped the CDs. So it sucks that the Entune media center can't display that. I've had this drive in half a dozen cars and never had a problem with artwork.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The parking brake has to be applied if you have the 11.6” screen. It’s silly.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Parking brake has to be applied for what? To show album art?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. (I know)

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Well that makes no difference but I'm still skeptical as album art shows up over bluetooth from most of my player apps.

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    So now the USB drive has everything back on I had before plus the additional 10 or so albums I ripped and now it's indexing completely. Still no album art for anything and most of these were ripped by itunes. So big fail on Toyota's part in that area.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh sorry. I don’t think it shows up over Bluetooth.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The biggest issue now, though, is that when selecting albums, tracks are alphabetical rather than in file order or track order via the ID3 tags.

14. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    After a little trial and error, I've discovered there's an ID3 tag called "sort as" which is left blank by itunes. If you set the track numbers here or even just A through whatever, the Etune system will now sort based on that field.

No need to add a number in front of the track name.

Now all I need to do is find a tool to set those tags in each album directory. If not, then I'll need to write a python script or something to fix this in bulk.

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Pretty sure this will do the trick:

id3mtag

Not where I can try it now myself.

16. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The inability to index doesn't seem to be based on how many files/folders are added. If I nuke my USB drive and add everything back in one shot, it never indexes. If I repeat but add say half back and then insert the drive into the car, it indexes. If I add the second half back in it also indexes. Not sure if it's some sort of internal file structure issue on the USB thumb that is throwing it off or if the car is simply incrementally indexing the new files and it can't index too many at once or it just locks up.

17. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    So the issue with track ordering is that Toyota doesn't fallback to the track number if the track TSOT - TitleSortOrderTag is empty like 99% of of all other mp3 and media players do.

My library which has been ripped over the years partly by itunes and before that by various other lame based rippers have TSOT empty on every single file. This is an ID3v2 tag.

The Toyota system will use this sort tag if it's there otherwise it will fall back to TIT2 - Title rather than TRCK - Track.

I'm guessing most of you out there have the same issue and just live with it or browse by folder rather than album but then you don't get the search ability.

I fixed this by using:

Mp3tag - Download

and creating an Action that copies the track number field to a two digit value i.e. leading zeros for values below 10.

This has completely fixed it.

Steps:

1. Download the tag editor above.
    2. Open the tag editor.
    3. Goto "Actions" and create a new "Action Group" and name it something like FixTitleSort.
    4. In the Action Group click on "New Action".
    5. Select "Format value" from the drop down and select ok.
    6. In "Field" select "TITLESORT".
    7. For "Format String", enter "$num(%track%,2)"
    8. Save and close out the action editor.
    9. Select a folder with your music. It's recursive so you only need to select the root folder.
    10. Control-A to select all the tracks.
    11. Now click on blue A (for action) that has the little dropdown arrow and select "FixTitleSort".
    Capture.PNG

If you have many thousands of tracks, don't do this directly on your thumb drive. It will take forever.

18. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Another failure on Toyota's part. They completely ignore the disc "x of y" tag so multi disc sets get merged so say you have a 3 disc set, all three #1 tracks are together, then all 3 #2 tracks and so on.

What an utter mess.

I had to rename multi disc albums with "Disc 1", "Disc 2" etc at the end of the title.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s terrible. My smart fortwo (2008) had a better headunit for audio with proper track listing, multi-language support and a working 6-disc CD changer.

20. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    90% of all my MP3 files on my music sticks don't display readable titles or artist names, even though they're all there under their own album directories. I have taken to rename all filenames with artist, album and song title included so I can attempt to figure them out when I display them alphabetically. At least they group together that way. Any other display mode and the absolutely stupid Entune system can't display anything useful to me. Even then, the song title and artist don't display on any other screen mode other than alpha sort.