1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB Port Died a death by iPhone

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Confrad in VA, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Confrad in VA

Confrad in VA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recently bought my second Prius - a 2017 and am loving it. Quite an upgrade from my '06 (still in service w/ 180k miles).
    My problem... my daughter plugged her iPhone into the usb port next to the 12v socket on the console and killed it. It no longer provides power and will not recognize usb memory stick with my music on it.
    The 12v outlet still works. I assume its a blown fuse, but cannot identify which one. Checked the panel under the dash and the closest I find is 15A one labeled P/OUTLET - not blown but I doubt it would be a 15A fuse anyway.
    Does anyone know what fuse to check? They aren't easy to get to and would hate to have to pull each one in turn to check.
    There are 7 5A fuses, but no indication that they are for the USB.
    Tried online searches but am finding no helpful info. 2017 interior fuses.jpg

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can't find it, the car should still be under warranty?

3. Confrad in VA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in a rural part of VA. Dealer is about 45 minute drive away. Just had 5k oil change and would hate to drive all that distance just for a fuse change.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The USB socket is not intended to provide power at all. Only connection into head unit for music etcetera, so maybe she hasn't wrecked it after all. I can't give you chapter and verse, but read the manual and it will explain all. Sorry for being so vague with my help, but @Prodigyplace is usually brilliant with detailed follow up after my off-the-cuff advice. (y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got me interested:

upload_2017-7-11_9-1-34.png

And yeah, I guess if you want to charge a phone with a USB charger cord, you should be plugging a usb adaptor into the regular 12 volt outlet (aka cigarette lighter socket).

CoastRider and RCO like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The USB standard was not originally meant for the current needed to charge a phone.
    Apple then introduced phone charging while maintaining backward compatibility with lower power USB devices.
    The USB standard does not require enough power to charge a phone.
    I have heard of some Samsung fast chargers using a USB connector but are not backward compatible with USB. They can fry a lower power device.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for clarifying gentlemen. Don't know what I'd do without your support/help. :)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Prodigyplace you sound like you know the ins-and-outs of iphone charging. I on the the other hand, well I won't go there.

I did learn along the way: our iPhones require the smaller AC adapter, but my wife's iPad need a larger adapter, with more oomph. Trouble is there's nothing stopping you connecting them the other way 'round, possibly getting into trouble. I also resign myself to Apple store visits for such items: the ones they have for sale in the grocery stores are hit-and-miss junk.

iPad AC to USB adapter on left, iPhone version on right:

upload_2017-7-11_9-45-39.png

RCO likes this.
  9. Confrad in VA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE: Spoke to Toyota service. They said there is no separate fuse for power to the console's usb port. I have to bring it in for them to diagnose. Under warrantee, so nothing lost except several hours of my time!
    Thanks for the above info.
    After they fix I'll be adding a fuse tap and hooking that up to a 12v usb splitter. Can't believe that with all of today's electronics in use that Toyota doesn't provide a small bank of ports!
    fuse tap.jpg
    This will be mounted on driver side. One port will connect to the 4 port hub, and the other will be open for other use. This should give me plenty of ports and not worry about blowing anything! Question is...Hook up to a 5 A fuse or go for it with a 15A?
    12v splitter.jpg

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quoting Mendel:
    I did learn along the way: our iPhones require the smaller AC adapter, but my wife's iPad need a larger adapter, with more oomph. Trouble is there's nothing stopping you connecting them the other way 'round, possibly getting into trouble. I also resign myself to Apple store visits for such items: the ones they have for sale in the grocery stores are hit-and-miss junk.
    Unquote.

With Apple's artificially high pricing, it's no wonder the cheap Chinese copies proliferate as wildly as they do. These clone failures only serve to keep customers returning to the Apple store with more $$$$$

#10 RCO, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  11. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you Mr Leisk. I had no idea what that little "USB" plug is for. (I'll never use it! And what is an iPod??? LOL!)

I did use the cigarette lighter socket ONE time, to charge up my cell phone. I just use the "car cord" that came with my phone. It seemed to work fine.

I'll leave all that USB stuff for the younger generation. :)

#11 CoastRider, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    'LectroFuel and RCO like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doh. Meant to say iPad.

RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably very wise decision, but for the iPod:-

iPod - Apple

CoastRider likes this.
  14. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You were correct the first time. It does say iPod in the owner's manual.

Thanks. I've never really even looked at an iPod. Don't need it for music, as the car came with 300 radio stations! :) And I listen to only 3. (It's like cable TV with 300-400 stations, and I only watch about 6 on a regular basis. A complete waste of money.)

#14 CoastRider, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  15. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow there are some uneducated responses here.

1. No trouble at all charging an iPhone 6S. Phone does not complain about the USB port at all. The USB port is perfectly capable of charging a phone. I believe the USB standard is 1 A of power. If your phone can take more then it just won't charge as fast as if you plugged it into its native charger.

2. The reason you have a bigger adapter for an iPad is that the iPad takes 2 A and the iPhone only needs 1 A. But plug the iPad into the smaller iPhone power plug and it will still charge, just slower.

MikeDee, Mark57, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They were THE Thing a few years ago, if not so much now. Mainly thanks to the improvements in smartphones.

Three stations!!! I'm usually faithful to two, ok, mainly one. :rolleyes:

You will have to check your US manual to verify, but another subscriber to PC posted this on 5/28 last year.

"Most modern phones (and all tablets) want to charge with more than 500mA. Most will still accept the USB spec current, but I know my phones will complain about "slow charging" if that's all they see. I think Apple was the first to tie the two data lines together with a certain size resistor to indicate that a standalone charger was capable of delivering more than the standard 500mA limit on the remaining two power lines.

The charging device identifies the type of port through non-data signalling on the D+ and D− signals immediately after attach. A [dedicated charging port] simply has to place a resistance not exceeding 200 Ω across the D+ and D− signals.

Per the base specification, any device attached to [a standard data port] must initially be a low-power device, with high-power mode contingent on later USB configuration by the host. Charging ports, however, can immediately supply up to at least 1.5 A. More current may be supplied up to the maximum current of 5 A, but the charging port may apply current limiting, or even shut down. The maximum current is determined by the over-current protection maximum current in the baseline specification. Note that it is specified only that USB connectors are tested to a contact current rating of at least 1.5 A.

-- USB - USB Battery Charging (Wikipedia)

I think/hope the Prius port is at least USB 2.0, and that spec maxes out at [email protected], but since the port in a Prius is not a dedicated charging port then it must present itself as a 500mA port until it and the device negotiate (in software) a higher current rate. USB 3.x allows higher power levels, but I doubt our port is USB 3.

Proprietary technologies like Qualcomm's Quick Charge 3.0 and the standardized-but-not-yet-ubiquitous USB Type-C supply up to 3A. I don't know what Apple uses, but my Android device is a QC device and some of the newer Nexus phones are Type-C. The Prius connector is not physically Type-C, and it is unlikely to support Apple- or Qualcomm-proprietary tech.

In summary, I expect the Prius USB port to comply with a particular USB specification and you won't get any fast charging beyond what that spec provides. Hopefully it's USB 2.0 and not 1.x, but even with 2.0 you still need the device and the car to successfully negotiate currents higher than 500mA.

#18wrprice, May 28, 2016

#16 RCO, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2017
    CoastRider likes this.
  17. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    RCO wrote: "Prius connector is not physically Type-C, and it is unlikely to support Apple- or Qualcomm-proprietary tech"

I don't know what you mean by this at all. A USB to lightning port cable to an iPhone works just fine in the Prius. It seems to charge reasonably fast so I suspect it can put out the 1A that the iPhone wants. If it were only 500 ma I would have noticed how slow it charged.

RCO likes this.
  18. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I hope @Confrad in VA will return to share the outcome of the dealer’s troubleshooting.

The USB port and audio input jack in the center console are part of what Toyota calls the No. 1 Stereo Jack Adapter Assembly (part number 86190-42040, list price $114.58), which is connected directly to the Entune head unit (the Radio and Display Receiver Assembly or Navigation Receiver Assembly) in the instrument panel by two shielded cables, one for USB and one for audio.

If the USB port isn’t working—unless there is a problem with the customer’s USB device, the Adapter Assembly, or one of the cables—the only alternative discussed in Toyota’s Repair Manual is to replace the entire head unit; there is no mention of a separate fuse for the USB port. It wouldn’t surprise me, though, if there were a fuse inside the head unit, which isn’t considered a field-serviceable part.

The Repair Manual also says the USB port is compatible with USB 2.0, at Full Speed (12 Mbps) and High Speed (480 Mbps), and that it works only with the first two devices found if a USB hub is connected, but there is no discussion of the maximum current available.

If you’re looking to add USB ports for power only, Southeast Toyota Distributors sells a Dual USB Power Port option kit, their part number 00016-00222, to add two USB ports inside the console box. It’s installed by tapping the wires for the front power socket.

The Repair Manual, Electrical Wiring Diagram, and instructions for the SET option kit are all available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com.

RCO likes this.
  19. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    iPods are so obsolete. I can't believe they still sell the iPod Nano and Shuffle. What a rip. Just buy the 512GB iPhone and put your music on that.;)

RCO likes this.
  20. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :ROFLMAO: Is my "flip-phone" obsolete?

'LectroFuel and RCO like this.