1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB port not charging my phone

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dslomer64, Dec 15, 2016.

1. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a year-old LG V10 phone, known for fast battery discharge, but my new 2017 Prius Four's USB port can't even keep up with the drain from merely using Bluetooth to listen to Pandora. And after 20 minutes of driving with NO APPS running on phone and no audio in car, charge in phone went from 2 to 5%. Phone charge diminishes while listening to Pandora and would eventually die soon even if fully charged at outset even with no other apps running on phone, screen off. I wouldn't be shocked if I need a new phone battery but it charges fine with 120 volt receptacles and only goes down a little overnight with no apps running. I have an old, noisy converter that I stuck in the Prius' 12-volt receptacle and plugged the phone's fast-charge AC adapter into it, and the phone did charge. This is a little disappointing. The converter's noise level is off-putting, so that's not a workaround, but why do I need a workaround for a 2017 car? Anybody else dealt with this?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you have better luck than me with your LG - mine died 6 weeks outside the 12 month warranty. Not worth fixing, I was told.

Charging my Samsung with an in-car charger plugged into the 12V outlet is much quicker than USB? Can you disable any functions (eg Wi-Fi) to reduce drain?

RCO likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps the Prius supports only the standard USB current draw and your phone wants a higher draw like an iPhone does?
    Just a guess.
    Just looking quickly in the manual, I do not see where they say you can use the USB port for charging. Your Four has the wireless Qi charger, though. The manual does warn against using a portable device while it is charging, for safety reasons.

#3 Prodigyplace, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    kenoarto and RCO like this.
  4. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    iPhone only wants 1 amp to charge

kenoarto likes this.
  5. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius USB port is for data (file) transmission, like that on a computer, which also will not charge a phone, for that reason. A charge-only cable is what I'm going to look for today. Googling showed me some things that I hope I've interpreted correctly. I'll keep us posted.

RCO likes this.
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's wrong with just plugging a charging cable into the round (12V) Plug? I have the old iPhone 5s. I don't even mess with that wireless charging pad because it doesn't work anyway. I just plug the cable into the 12V plug and everything is fine. My phone charges very fast. (and the wire doesn't bother me because I don't have anybody in the passenger seat.)

Please don't do distracted driving and texting.

Sooner Al and RCO like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is not an unusual situation.

The stock entertainment heads in a really LOT of cars don't supply much power to the USB device.
    My 3 vehicles pretty much work like that; so have a few rental cars I've used recently.

And "simply using Bluetooth" has a transmitter enabled full time so it uses a lot of power.....relatively.

I think you need to get a new power adapter for the 12 V (cigarette lighter) socket.

kenoarto, dslomer64 and RCO like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It
    It must supply some power for USB drives to work. It only needs to supply 1/10 of what an iPhone needs, though.

10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP has an LG V10 not an iPhone. Apples and oranges people!

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    and it likely needs more than 100mA to charge, plus they were streaming audio using the phone.
    The charger for this phone outputs 2.1A.

fuzzy1, RCO and dslomer64 like this.
  12. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Could this be an answer? I for one am baffled and am fully ready to just use standard "cigarette lighter charger".

1481915532953.png

It says, "Comes with a USB A socket on one end and a USB A plug on the other. In between is an in-line switch that is rated for 2 Amps. The data lines are not connected through - this is a ground/5V power switch only! The switch is on the positive 5V line. A great match for our USB wall adapters or battery packs."

I feel like all I'm doing is showing my ignorance...

13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but I don't think that will do it for you. Better to go with something like prodigyplace identified, but there are many similar ones on Amazon. Remember that cheapest is not always best and neither is most expensive. I've always found 5* reviews can be biased and 4* reviews more honest.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually the standard lighter charger should work. For some reason, the Amazon link showed an image of a lighter charger, but the link was actually for a 120V home charger.

RCO likes this.
  15. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that wouldn't help - it just rates the switch for 2 amps - but it it's only getting 100mA (for example) in one end of the cable, that's all it'll get out the other. [sort of like at home, if your water pressure is low, putting a high pressure capable tap won't improve your water pressure]

fuzzy1, dslomer64 and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay. I surrender. The Quest is over. I just bought a 2.4 amp 12 volt socket charger for $3.99 at Microcenter.

17. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My old iPhone 5s came with the car charger plug-in wire. Whatever you call it. I'm glad the new Prius still has the cigarette lighter plug.

18. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Me too. I use the cigarette lighter plug on the back of the console (the one that is designed to service the back seat) with a 2' cord.

Easy to find the end for the phone when I need it and the cord falls between the seats when I don't.

RCO likes this.
  19. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had this problem, too. You need to test your charger AND your cables AFTER it gets into your phone. Most older USB ports (on computers and chargers) only supply 500 mAh. Download an app like Ampere and measure the input of of each and every cable and charger port (ya, each port on the same charger may deliver different charges) and make sure your are getting 1200-1600 mAh. I got new chargers and new cables and all my charging problems went away. Generally speaking the "smart" chargers with the high watts, and the thicker USB cables, deliver more power (FYI: having tested many, this is not always the case).

dslomer64 likes this.
  20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A USB port does not "provide power." It doesn't work that way.

USB devices DRAW CURRENT from a USB port. The USB Spec only permits a device to draw half an Ampere of 5V current. Since smartphones and tablets consume more than half an ampere will provide, their batteries can actually deplete as they charge.

So the phone makers implemented proprietary signaling protocols which let the phone determine that 1 amp or more is available. And of course Apple and Samsung use different discovery methods. By the way, with most phones, this discovery doesn't happen until the phone boots up. This is why a phone with a fully dead battery can take so long to charge up; it draws only half an amp.

The solution to this long story: Buy a cigarette lighter adapter which allows a current draw of 1 amp or more, and make sure it is compatible with Samsung phones and not iPhone (or both).

#20 Rebound, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016