1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB port under armrest

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by martydallas, Apr 5, 2017.

1. martydallas

martydallas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've looked through the other post and not seeing what I'm looking for if it's there please redirect me and remove this post or place of their.

The USB port in the center console on the front just under the center armrest, I understand it charges your device what I'm looking to understand is how it may integrate with the cars entertainment and/or navigation system.

Are there benefits? Are there disadvantages?

My 2010 Prius, I remember not liking the way it worked and used the cigarette lighter charging port. Now for the life of me I cannot remember why I did not like the way it worked and just immediately started using the cigarette lighting charging port.

Looking to understand others thoughts likely will try to investigated this weekend sometime

2. iskey

iskey New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you're just looking to charge your phone the cigarette lighter charging port charges much faster than usb. Maybe that's why you used it.

3. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think that's necessarily true - my Gen 4 the USB charges super fast and seemingly faster than the cigarette outlet.

4. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    faster than this?

5. fnostro

fnostro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What kind of phone? Because there is also the QI charger.

The USB port is also a data port and registers as an "music player" on your list of music sources if, after being scanned, it finds any recognized formats.

Here is a for instance. You can have a number of registered bluetooth devices. But only one can be connected at a time. On a recent trip to DC I had my phone connected over Bluetooth and my wife connected her iphone to the usb port both to charge and play some audio books that she downloaded for the trip. IIRC it shows up in the audio section as an MP3 player or somesuch.

6. martydallas

martydallas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you, this makes since, like maybe better play my audio books? That may be the reason I did not plug it in all the time? but I did play a audio books via Bluetooth.

7. martydallas

martydallas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    another question down the same line

Phone when placing a call via Holding the steering will talk button down until I say to Siri call so-and-so and/or speak loudly enough to say hey Siri call so-and-so it does not connect to the car. It's only silence not sure what the issue is

When I place a phone call through the car speak button right hand most button on the left-hand side of the steering will, the call goes through fine

Again when using Siri not sure my problem. They can hear me just fine but I cannot hear them

8. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The speed of phone charging depends on the amps available. Some newer phones even have "QuickCharge" technology. I have a QC charger in my 12V socket. USB charging amps can range from 0.5 to about 1.0, IIRC.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Prime USB port can put out 1 amp, so if you need more than that, get a cigarette lighter adapter. That's more than enough for an iPhone. The advantage of using the usb port instead of Bluetooth to play music is better sound quality, plus you can charge your phone at the same time. You can also get a two port usb hub so you can plug in a thumb drive and and your phone too, but it does cut the amperage to a little better than 0.6 amps. I measured this with a USB inline electronic device that measures volts and amps with an iPad plugged in. If you use a USB thumb drive, use a short extension cable because it's vulnerable to breaking the drive or the port sticking out there like that. It also says in the manual that you shouldn't have the phone connected to usb and Bluetooth at the same time because it makes the system unstable.

#9 MikeDee, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    davidtm likes this.
  10. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    this one?

11. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That link doesn't work.

12. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    google this then.......

DROK USB 2.0 Digital Multimeter, Ammeter Voltmeter Capacitance and Watt Meter, 7 Modes Multi Tester

13. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Similar to that one, maybe not as versatile.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  14. Linda D

Linda D New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    FYI, I believe if you want to use Pandora and have an Iphone, you must use a USB connection, as Bluetooth doesn't work with it on this car/phone combination.

15. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like I say, remember the story of Adam and Eve? Eve gave Adam an Apple, and look what happened to the world!! I just love that one!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You have this reversed. You need Bluetooth to play Pandora from Entune. It won't work if you have Bluetooth turned off. The usb connection works like an iPod and provides power. Toyota, in the manual, does not recommend both a Bluetooth and usb connection at the same time because it makes the system unstable (whatever that means). I have an iPhone 7 on my Plus, and it works pretty well.

Morphic and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  17. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's interesting, I've ridden several hours a couple of times with my iPhone 7+ and while plugged into the USB port and using Waze (GPS running) the battery on the phone has dropped considerably. I'm guessing the port can't put out enough juice. The first time I did it I thought I hadn't plugged it in correctly. So I made sure the second time that it was plugged in firmly. It was down to under 48% from 100% after 3hrs of running.

MLK43611 likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it is like the Gen 4, that is a USB data port with only enough power for USB sticks.. You need to use a lighter port charger for your phone.

19. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 2014 never had a problem charging the exact same phone.

20. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    not my experience with an iPhone 6S+ that i had for 18+ months, I have the Plus but that shouldn't make a difference.
    I listen to music streamed through an app on my commute (~ 2hr roundtrip Mon - Thu), and I am seeing ~ +/- 40% higher charge at the end of the trip. So typically during the week i do not charge my phone other than during the commute. That is different from my 2015 Gen3, same usage pattern but i had to charge multiple times during the week thru some other means.
    I had therefor assumed that in the Gen3 it was a USB1.0 or 2.0 port that delivers .5A at 5V and the Prime having a USB3.0 that can deliver .9A at 5V, there is no information about the USB port in the manual.
    In addition, when I profiled my commute using a bike ride GPS app, I noticed that the charge was less than usual, since it was using GPS, don't recall the exact numbers though.
    google search for WAZE APP POWER USAGE revealed quite a few threads, you might want to check into that