1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB tab grayed out for iPod almost every time I turn on the car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hina, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hina

hina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I uhh screwed up really bad and posted this in the wrong forum. I assumed "technical discussion" meant technology-related things, such as electronics, and I didn't see this sub-forum. Sorry for spamming!!

I have a 2010 Prius. It has a touch screen, GPS, backup camera, and leather seats. I'm not too sure what I/II/III/IV/V Prius that is.

I have an issue with the USB port. It works, but whenever I plug in my iPod into the charger, the USB tab under Audio is grayed out. Nearly every time I start my car, this is the case. I can also see that my iPod is not charging. I am using the original OEM cable that came with my iPod. I even bought a new OEM cable ($28!!) just to see if this problem would go away. It is still happening!

I have other issues too, but my main issue is that the USB tab is grayed out, iPod is not charging. I know that the USB port works. If I unplug and replug in the USB cable into the port, it will work again.

I usually leave my iPod in my car in the glovebox, but sometimes take it and the cable out and these issues still persist, whether I leave it plugged in before or turning off the car as well.

Other issues:

1.) Sometimes my iPod restarts to the very beginning of the song list when I turn on the car.
    2.) When I go to Audio > USB > Menu for the songlist, it automatically goes to the top and plays the first song on the screen for every time I press the down or up arrow for the next several songs.

I have never had my iPod disconnect while driving, but I've heard that happen to other owners.

I also have not tested the USB port with a normal Micro-A cable for regular non-Apple cell phones, but I will try that with my Samsung phone and see if it does the same thing.

Can anyone relate or offer a solution besides unplug and replug the cable every time I start the car?

(I like using the up/down controls which is why I have to use USB and not AUX port).

Thanks!!

2. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have a Prius 4, unless you also have the solar sunroof and auto cruise control. Have you tried, or can you just stream from that ipod with Bluetooth? I stream off my iphone 6s with bluetooth while it's plugged in with the USB and charging.
    As for your other problem, I've also experienced the same thing. It's gotta be the way the Ipod is connecting with your car and may not be entirely the cars fault. You may have to just pull the lightning port out from the ipod every time.
    Lastly before you ever buy another oem cable just get on ebay and look for an MFI certified cable. MFI certification means it's going to work with your Apple device.