1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Use a cell phone for FM radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 6cylinderbike, Dec 17, 2016.

1. 6cylinderbike

6cylinderbike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I keep thinking that surely there is an easy work around for a factory radio that has poor reception. Many years ago a friend of mine had a head unit stolen out of his car, and before he replaced it, he used a portable "walkman" connected to his amp. With that in mind, I was wondering about using a different radio receiver connected to the car somehow.
    Has anyone tried using their smart phone's built in FM receiver to see if they can get better radio reception? If it worked, how would be the best way to get the signal to the car? Aux input maybe?

If you're wondering about using cell phone fm receivers, you can go to nextradioapp and click supported devices

"Today’s smartphones already have an FM receiver built in! This means that everyone could have free and easy access to radio for the entertainment they love and information they need, but those FM receivers are not activated by all wireless carriers and phone makers. Listening to radio on your phone using the FM chip instead of over the internet saves you valuable data and battery life. We need your help to send a message that free FM radio matters to you!"

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I heard an ad for that the other day. Doesn't show up in the App Store, but maybe it's only on Android devices?

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Most cell FM radio features require using a wired headset as the antenna. Sorry, but if you don't have a phone jack, you don't have access to FM radio (new Apple and Samsung phones)

JeffD