1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Use of aftermarket driveshafts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am wondering if group members have experience with aftermarket driveshafts. I was working on replacing the front struts on my 2006 Highlander Hybrid (92K miles on the odometer), and the right side driveshaft dislocated the inner CV joint (this joint has a "tripod" which can slide in and out to some extent. Unfortunately it pulled out totally from its housing.)

The MSRP on the Toyota-branded driveshaft is $616; $462 at Olathe Toyota in Kansas. Meanwhile eBay has an aftermarket part for $87, and Rockauto offers a few choices, all priced under the $87 price.

I normally like to use Toyota-branded parts or at least an aftermarket part made by the original equipment supplier (like KYB in the case of struts/shocks) but the price gap on this driveshaft is too wide to ignore.

I'm interested in hearing about your experience with aftermarket driveshafts, and this doesn't even have to be related to Prius or Toyota vehicles. Thanks!

Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, for the CV joints, I have used several aftermarket ones, and discovered they seems not to just last. I don't know whether its because they might be Chinese made stuffs or not. But each time I replaced end those new stuffs, they tend to make terrible noises within some few days or weeks, when replaced. So, ever since, we either order for new original Toyota CV joints, or make do with parts from junk yards.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I think it is fair to assume that the non-branded aftermarket parts are manufactured in China.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're perfectly right.

I'm currently working on a corolla 2008 that needs its driver side drive shaft replaced. I had replaced only the CV joint some weeks ago, and the customer called to info me that there was still the clunk noise there. Car is in the shop now, with an order already placed for a low mikeaged COMPLETE DRIVESHAFT AND CVs.

Though the OEM Toyotas are quite expensive, but they'd serve along while, compared to the aftermarket's.

PS: Sometimes if my clients can't afford OEM Toyota parts, eg., shock absorbers, I recommend the KYB brands. They're perfect!

Patrick Wong likes this.
  5. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed new EMPI/Empire axles on my 1993 Volvo 850 and found that they fit perfectly and did not give me any problems. I sold the car in 2016 with 40K on the right side axle and 10K on the left side. Other people have reported problems with this manufacturer on Volvo sites, but my experience was good.

I think I would stick with new axles rather than rebuilt. I wouldn't dismiss a part based only on where it it made.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not familiar with the Toyota CVs (yet), but the Ford CV's inner joint can come completely apart without damaging the joint, it just rips the boot that then must be replaced (with new grease and clamps.) Unless there is damage to a bearing surface, or slop (looseness) in the inner CV joint, it is the preferred fix.
    (Edit: I see from this picture of the joint, that it is the same design. This is similar to the slip yoke in the driveshaft of a rear-drive car; the distance from the transaxle to the wheel changes as the suspension moves up and down. This is also why you hold the shaft, not the CV when it is out of the car, the inner CV joint will just slide apart.)

#6 ITBland, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Patrick Wong likes this.
  7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Patrick Wong likes this.
  8. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, with 92K you should replace the seal in the transaxle, too!

Patrick Wong likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's an update to this situation: I decided that all that was needed was to install a new aftermarket CV boot clamp. I cleaned out the old grease with brake parts cleaner, bought two tubes of CV joint grease (the spec is ~6 ounces of grease in that particular joint) and was able to put the driveshaft back together.

I did not pull the inner portion of the driveshaft from the transaxle housing as I was able to replace the boot clamp with the driveshaft in place. Hence, no need to replace the transaxle seal or a plastic clip which holds the right side driveshaft to a bearing external to the transaxle. (That driveshaft is so long that it goes through a bearing a few inches to the right of the transaxle case opening.)

I bought a tool to install the aftermarket CV joint clamp and that worked well. The instructions provided with the tool were not helpful, but fortunately other tool users had posted videos to show how the tool works. Basically, this tool allows you to pull on the tail of the clamp to tighten it up against the rubber boot.

The repair manual indicates that you are supposed to match-mark the joint before disassembly so that you can reassemble with the same orientation between the housing of the joint vs. the tripod that inserts into it. Since the joint fell apart on me, I just put it back together with a 33% chance of putting the joint back to the original orientation. Regardless, it works and I do not notice unusual noise or vibration coming from the driveshaft.

It was necessary to completely disassemble the front suspension on that side: I removed the disc and disc caliper from the hub and steering knuckle; then removed the steering knuckle from the lower control arm and the steering tie rod.

I disconnected the 12V battery negative terminal prior to removing the disc caliper, to make sure the skid control ECU was not going to have a fit. After reassembly, I pressed hard on the brake pedal a few times before reconnecting the 12V battery, to take up any gap between the brake pads and the disc.

Amazingly, it was not hard to remove the hub nut using my Makita electric impact wrench. (The tightening torque is 217 ft.-lb.) The impact wrench was also helpful in loosening the other suspension hardware.

After completing the front struts, I took the HiHy for wheel alignment yesterday, as the front toe adjustment was way off. Now that the wheels are aligned, the ride is great.

I'll probably install the rear struts later in the fall, there is no rush considering the relatively high ambient air temps in the summer which makes it unpleasant to work on the car besides in the early morning hours.

#9 Patrick Wong, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018