1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Use the PC as Back-up generator 12V DC to 110V AC ?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by formula, Jun 5, 2012.

1. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am planing to go this. Is anyone know what is the max 12V DC I can get from the PC?

Should I use the 12V outlet? or it is better to draw the power from the 12V battery directly?

as I know, the HV battery will charge the 12V battery and I should have the enough power coming out as a back up power?

any recommendation for the inverter? like brand or model? want to purchase a reliable one. lol

[​IMG]

thank you so much for help

2. allopatry

allopatry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I used my old Prius (04) to power a few lights and a radio after Hurricane Irene hit last year. I plugged my inverter into the 12v outlet in the car, ran the cord out the window and into the house. The engine turned on as needed keeping the battery charged. I did this for four days until the power came back on. I would say with a plug in inverter that you will not power much more than a few lights, certainly not a heavy duty appliance like a refrigerator or stove. My inverter is an Intec brand.

3. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like you would have to use the extra key to keep your car locked up, while it was being used as a power supply.
    I wonder if I left our 'c' motionless for hours, would it try to warm up the ICE? Or let it stay cold?

My guess is, the 12V power sockets in the car likely can't handle very much power.
    Maybe 10 amps? 10 amps x 14 volts is only 140 watts.

If you want to power any electronics, a buyer might want to get a true-sine-wave inverter.(Not a modified-sine-wave).
    The MSW inverters cost a lot less. I can't recommend any brand, but most of what's on the market these days is made in China.
    A buyer might want to check out the inverters reviewed on Amazon.

karabits likes this.
  4. allopatry

allopatry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I'm guessing your car would remain motionless until the battery needed recharging if it was warm weather. Yes I had to use the manual key to lock the vehicle but it was a pretty effortless way to at least have some lights and music in the house.

5. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Is anyone know what is the CCA or the max Watt the prius high volt to 12 volt inverter can handle?

I may draw the power from the 12V battery directly instead of the 12V outlet.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V outlet will melt long before you reach the HV to 12V inverter limit. The former is rated somewhere around 10 amps (though commonly pushed somewhat higher), while the later is rated somewhere around 100 amps.

7. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If I get the power from the 12V battery instead? they are under the back seat.