1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2011 48k miles, 2 owners, Cause to be Concerned?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by awtprod, Jul 16, 2017.

1. awtprod

awtprod New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm looking to buy a used Prius and I saw a dealer selling a used 2011 with just over 48k miles. It's being sold by the same dealer that sold it to the previous two owners. My concern is that the last owner had it for less than 1 year. Should I be concerned? Also, the carfax has it flagged for a recall. Does that mean it wasn't serviced for the recall issue or just that a recall was issued at some point?

2. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have owned a 2011 Prius for about a year and I know it had a recall (something concerning the side airbag I believe) just before I bought it. All dealers must complete any and all recalls prior to delivering a vehicle. That's not an issue. A 2011 with that mileage is very desirable so the dealer may have offered owner number 1 or 2 a good deal to trade it in. Mine has 66,000 miles and my dealer keeps offering to take mine back. Without more I don't see anything for you to worry about.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just based on the dates it looks like the car found two owners that don't drive much.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    if you have all the service and accident reports, the test drive goes well, and mpg's look good, i wouldn't hesitate.
    all the best!(y)

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As with all used vehicle purchases, ask point blank if it has had any collision or flood damage AND if it has any known problems.

People sometimes "forget" to mention things like that.......but are usually a bit reluctant to outright lie about it.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No reason for concern. Of course it's a used vehicle, like any other. The fact that the dealer is selling it both times, instead of consigning it to auction for CarMax or someone else, says a lot already. The low mileage is great. 2011 model years have very proven dependability. I think Bisco's suggestion to do a road test and check its mileage is good, but it helps to know how to lightly drive a Prius to get good mileage from it. There are some menus in the car which might show you accumulated mileage... depends on the trim level, I think. If the lifetime or long term average mileage is over 40, that's a good sign that the car was well cared for.

Look for the basics -- underbody rust, engine compartment oil, grease, or rust. The inverter, which is in the front on your right as you face the car, will have some rust on its aluminum housing. That's normal. Just look at general wear and tear, beyond what the detailer got. Look under the floor mats, look under the seats, open the hatch and look around the seams and in the storage areas. That will show you if there's been any unordinary dirt or debris in the car. Run the fan and give the air a good sniff with the windows rolled up. That's to make sure the ventilation system isn't moldy or smelly. There's a cabin air filter which is very easily replaced. You can read how to replace it in the Maintenance and Troubleshooting area here. If you remove the cabin filter, you can see if it's really dirty (replace it), then feel around in the cavity for any nasty dirt or sticks or hair, which would be a sign of neglect.

RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It means the recall hasn't been serviced. It means the dealer didn't think it was worth doing. It speaks of the dealer's quality of service rather than the car. If the dealer can't be bothered to bring the car to Toyota to perform the service, or worse they are a Toyota dealer and didn't do it, then you have an idea how they will treat you as a customer.

The second owner dumping it to the same dealer in less than a year is suspect but not a deal breaker. If I found a third thing wrong like one of the tires is different than the rest, then that's 3 strikes.

8. awtprod

awtprod New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the replies! I will definitely take these tips into account.

9. awtprod

awtprod New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the replies! I will definitely take these tips into account.