1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2012 Prius five owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sh3nks, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Sh3nks

Sh3nks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey guys, first time owner of a Prius here, it's a 2012 Gen III Prius five with 75k miles on it. It has the tech package with the HUD. I wanted to know what sort of maintenance should I be doing right away if not soon? Is there anything else I should check on the car? Other than changing oil myself, I normally don't do any other maintenance myself. thanks for helping, I'll post some pictures when I get the chance.

#1 Sh3nks, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! just follow the manual. it's all oil and filters, tee rotations until 120k.
    some here like to change the tranny fluid. so that's an extra if you want to do it.
    all the best!(y)

3. Sh3nks

Sh3nks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did read about that, what's the typical cost for a dealer to have that done so I have a price range in mind in case one tries to rip me off? Should I be worried about anything else at all? First timing owning such a old car and one with anything over 40k mileage, previously only owned new 2013 and new 2016 cars (no hybrids).

Thank you, enjoyed the drive back, mileage was pretty amazing. Was getting 48mpg hwy in Ohio and pa. Where my Mazda 6 would prob avg about 34-35. Even with the ieloop and 40mpg advertised. One more question I wanted to ask was that for the Prius, people mention tranny flush, I heard all that needs to be done is drain and replace the oil as opposed to actually flushing it correct?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, typically around $100. but some try to get way more, because there's no standard time and materials, it' considered lifetime by toyota.
    you can also buy 4 quarts at the dealer, a plug and washer, and take it locally, it's very easy, just a drain and fill, no flush. make sure they loosen the fill plug before the drain plug.

5. Sh3nks

Sh3nks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay, will do. Thanks for the help, I just found out that my coolant on both the inverter and engine is a little on the low side so I'll have to find some Toyota super long life coolant somewhere.

6. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nothing urgent, but:

Chances are nobody's ever replaced the cabin air filter, and by now the old one's probably pretty grotty. You can get a new one for $20 and replace it yourself by following easy video instructions, since it's conveniently located right behind the glovebox (which can be removed without tools).

The rear wiper is worth checking for cracking or dry rot. When I bought my 2010, the rubber was starting to split lengthwise from one end, and if it had done so a little more, I could have turned on that wiper and permanently scored the glass. Not good.

Also, if you're the cautious type as I am, you might also want to consider pre-emptively replacing the OEM 12-volt battery just so the old one can't strand you, since you're nearing its normal life expectancy. Even if you're not a big one for doing your own wrenching, it's a very easy 30-minute job with online step-by-step videos to guide you; if you can do your own oil changes, you're up to it. if you do so, I'd go Optima Yellow Top over the Toyota-brand replacement battery, mostly for the cost savings.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, searched this page and word "brake" was not found...

Toyota USA says every 3 years or 30K miles, in-depth inspection, front and rear.

Also, while they say nothing, Toyota Canada recommends brake fluid every 3 years or 48K km's (30K miles).

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point. have a good look at the brakes and lube the slide pins?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Sh3nks

Sh3nks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome, I will write all this down and go through it one way or another.

Thanks

10. mrwzrd

mrwzrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on the new ownership. 75K miles? It's still new. My 2012 (front one in my icon) has 130K and the oil is still golden at 10K change intervals. (yes, I know they yammer about 5K). My standing joke. Toyota dealers are like Harley dealers... the price always uses the same numbers...they just move the decimal point around. 12.95 129.50 etc. I use a generic price of $125 for any fluid change. Some are a little higher, some a little lower. As pointed out above it's basically oil, filters and tire rotations until about 120K.

You will love the HUD. I have gotten to turning down my main display completely at night for better visibility, especially if raining. It will also through navigation directions up there if you have that package. I love the moon roof solar roof but to get it I had to get the nav package.
    Enjoy your ride.

bisco likes this.
  11. Sh3nks

Sh3nks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, i was thinking of finding one with the solar but i ultimately found that i rarely used my moonroof at all in my 2 previous cars. It also made the car a lot cooler in the winter and heavier. HUD was my must have since i had it in my Mazda 6 and this one is actually better because it projected onto the windshield where the 6 was a plastic flip. I definitely miss the nav in the 6, much newer and interface is better. Is the Gen 3 navi 2D only? i remember the when i test drove the non premium version, i can choose 3D style lol. That was a 2014 though. Let me know if you can change it to 3D, that would be much better.