1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2012 Prius Four MPG newbie question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stephan Jefferson, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Stephan Jefferson

Stephan Jefferson New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone,

I got the vehicle to go and when I fill it up it only says I have about 300 miles. I believe it has to learn how I drive before it gives me an accurate estimate how many miles I will get out of a tank. Am I correct?

I'm averaging about 60 miles per gallon (I'm getting this from the consumption breakdown).

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong or I just have to be patient?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    patience grasshopper :) that's based on past driving history. it will likely take a few tankfuls

welcome, and all the best!(y)

Stephan Jefferson and Grit like this.
  3. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Averaging 60 mpg? Then there's nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on your fuel gauge and when it starts blinking, you have roughly 2 gallons left so fill up.

mikey_t, Stephan Jefferson and bisco like this.
  4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will never consistently accurately show miles you have left, because it doesn't know how or where you will drive in the near future. It is just a conservative rough estimate. Don't take it too seriously!

The Electric Me likes this.
  5. Stephan Jefferson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you all. I'm trying to get in the 700 mile club

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep at it, you'll get there. but the true measurement is at the pump, not the dte

7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right, and the fuel level gauge is a more useful tool to help you get there.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Stephan Jefferson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please elaborate

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you fill up, divide miles driven by gallons pumped. keep records and make a graph for future reference.
    that is more accurate than dte

10. Gliderguy

Gliderguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also have a 2012 Prius four. I currently have 185,000 miles on it. There is a website called fuelly.com and that is where I log my gallons and miles. I write the trip mileage on each gas receipt and then I have both numbers. you can see long term averages, winter driving usually costs a few MPG due to a more volatile blend of gasoline and additional warm-up time for the engine to reach temperature. Ditto for wet weather, rain puddles drain away economy. I was averaging 47 mpg in my 93 mile commute (with a 4000 ft elevation difference). I blew a head gasket, and repaired it myself. (big job, took me two weekends) On the three tanks since, my average is right at 50 mpg. This is with about a quarter of road being 75 mph, about half 65mph, and the remainder 55 or less. I use both Torque and Dr Prius. Torque probably saved me from wrecking my engine totally until I was sure I had a head gasket issue. I could see overheat minutes before the red overtemp light would come on, and I could already be planning a safe stop to add coolant.