1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2012 Prius v Two w/55k miles???

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by DogDaze, Oct 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Guys,

Quick question..
    I'm looking for thoughts on a used 2012 Prius v Two w/55k miles...
    It's a non-Toyota dealer... was traded in there.

1 owner, clean CarFax..
    The price has been lowered to just under $15k and in our price point now.

They offer only a 30 day or 1000 mile warranty on it..
    I cringed..:eek:

I haven't drove it yet.. it's not my favorite color combo for the v (lowercase v).
    but the only one in the area in our price range.. and I can live w/it.

All the ones I like are at least $5k more $$.

Any thoughts on a used one w/55k miles.. (and basically NO warranty?)
    I'd be hopeful not to buy someone else's heartache.. but imagine why this car has been sitting for as long as it has.... (w/all the NEW end of the year incentives right now) they've already dropped the price on this one twice already... I can't imagine it will last too much longer..

btw, has OEM Michelin's on it.. so, It's gonna need tires, but they look like even tread wear etc.

Any thoughts on a used one w/55k miles.. (and basically NO warranty?) :unsure:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it still has the 5/60 and 10/150 warranties though, same as any prius. sounds like a good deal to me. a long shakeout cruise and independent toyota checkout should alleviate your fears. all the best!(y)

DogDaze and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ask them if they will let you take it to the Toyota dealer for a comprehensive checkup. I would not worry about the tires and the hybrid system has a longer warranty (100,000 miles). The powertrain is 60k so there is a little room there. With that said, I would still buy something I wanted first with the right color and option; you will see this car everyday for years and it's worth it to get what you want. Personally I think these high resale value cars can be better deals new when the gas prices are low; they are selling slow now and you might get one for four or five thousand off.

Attached Files:

#3 rjparker, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    DogDaze likes this.
  4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There are dozens of reasons why someone trades in a car. And switches brands.

That the tires are in the state they are in is actually good as it helps to confirm the mileage and you get to have new tires which should be good for similar miles.

If the car has sat for a long time, also get the 12v battery in the trunk tested.

Factor in the cost of a 60k service, a new battery and a set of tires. Is it still a bargain? Not a bad idea to get the transmission fluid changed too.

The car is good for many more miles, but as with any unusual car with little warranty, it is a good idea to get a pre-purchase inspection. I'll bet it doesn't have the single safety recall applied which is a reason to ask to get it into a dealer's hands. And if the seller is motivated ...

Also read the seller's warranty.

Will you hate the color or tolerate it knowing you saved because of it? Only you can imagine how you'll fell months from now ... or even years because mechanically it predicts there be no reason to trade for years.

DogDaze likes this.
  5. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you bisco.. hopefully it will last thru the weekend.. (we'll be out of town) but have an appt to see it Monday evening..
    I asked about getting it for the weekend and they were gonna check on it and get back to me.. I see I had a missed call at 8:20p.. (40 minutes before they closed last night) No message.. Doubtful I could have made it down there that close to closing. Will see what happens w/it now.. -j

Hi rj, thank you for your note and information.. yes, I agree w/you regarding the right color combination and options. I also agree that I think they are selling slow right now, probably on account of the low fuel prices as you note.. and the Toyota end of year clearance deals too. For an extra $3-5k, we could probably find a 'Certified' used one w/lower miles.. we have an apt to look at and test drive this one on Monday.. (since we'll be away over the weekend) so, will see if it's still there on Monday evening. They've lowered the price on it twice since I first saw it online.. I looked at it a couple weeks ago, but it was dark.. The 55k initially scared me off, so I didn't ask to test drive. It's black w/grey interior.. we'd really like a Blizzard Pearl, but there are no used ones close to us.. If it had beige interior, I think I'd be OK w/the black.. it's only a Two.. so, I still need to look/see what the differences are between the Two and the Three.. there is a Five (Red/Beige) at a Toyota dealer an hour or so away.. but it's over $21k, so I think a little on the high end..

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Black looks great when its spotless and polished, otherwise it shows dirt easily. A v3 gives you navigation, hd radio and Entune app connectivity. Pearl might not have been available untill 2013. A 2015 gives you DRL lights and better crash test results, not to be taken lightly.

3.) Selecting the Prius v Three allows buyers to obtain a navigation system, HD Radio, satellite radio, and Entune mobile multi-media and mobile application service. The Prius v Five adds LED headlights, fog lights, bigger aluminum wheels, an auto-dimming rearview mirror with a universal garage door opener, and leatherette seat upholstery. Additional options are offered for the Prius v Five, including a premium audio system, a more robust hard-drive navigation system, a panoramic sunroof, and an Advanced Parking Guidance System.

DogDaze likes this.
  7. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for your post and for the information. I agree w/you regarding the tires.. New tires on a used car are always nice, but can also cover up problems or alignment issues till after the purchase.. I don't think the car has sat more than a few months, and it IS still only early fall here.. we've left my wife's 2011 Prius Liftback sit in our garage over the winter months w/no issue.. tho I did start it on occasion to check and exercise the battery etc.. it's been fine to date.

I checked the CarFax and thought they had this one into the Toyota dealer for the recall, but confused it with another cause I just re-checked and see that it has not been in for the recall.

I assume this is the recall you mention: (as stated on the CarFax)
    07/15/2015 Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. Manufacturer Recall Issued
    NHTSA #15V449
    Recall #F0R Safety Recall F0R - Remedy
    Notification - Certain 2012-2014 Prius V -
    Software Update for Motor Generator ECU and Power
    Management ECU
    Locate an authorized Toyota dealer near you to schedule an appointment

I agree, & would like to see if they will allow me to take this to our regular Toyota dealer to perform this Recall and check it over.
    I personally like black.. (always wanted, but never owned a black car) But tend to like the Priusv in most other colors.. (esp, the Blizzard Pearl) better than the black... If it had beige interior, I think I'd be better.. Black/Grey combo is OK.. just not my preference. Plans are for this to be our second car.. an I don't need new.. (only the wife gets new ones) and I'd be OK w/it if we could get a good deal on it.
    The color combination would probably grow on me w/time I think. I just wonder what would be a reasonable offer on it if all checks out? -j

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we purchased our first black car in 40 years, with some trepidation. having had it for 2 1/2 years now, i can honestly say that it doesn't seem any hotter or dirtier than any other color. i believe we will not go back to a color again, they are all so tiresome.

DogDaze likes this.
  9. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol, thanks bisco.. I gotcha on that.. My wife previously lived in Las Vegas.. & why I've had trouble convincing her to look at a black car.. I can understand Las Vegas or anywhere south, but we live on the North Coast. I can say, that I think silver cars tend not to show the dirt.. white ones tend not to show the road salt, but they do show the rust after the salt takes it's toll.. Black would really show the road salt which I really despise.. (road salt in general that is) -j

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, takes a little more washing in winter.

DogDaze likes this.
  11. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi jr, thank you for the additional thoughts and information... I see this Priusv Two listed as the following options:

TOYOTA PRIUS v TWO, 1.8L 4-CYLINDER DOHC 16V VVT-I ALUMINUM ENGINE, 16" ALLOY WHEELS, CVT TRANSMISSION, REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY, SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO, BLUETOOTH CAPABILITIES, MEDIA CONTROLS ON STEERING WHEEL, TOUCH SCREEN RADIO, PUSH-BUTTON-START, BACKUP CAMERA, 60/40 SPLIT REAR FOLDING SEATS, AUX PORT, USB PORT, CD PLAYER, 44 MPG

I guess when I saw Sirius radio, I didn't pick up on that it was not HD.. (unless they added an upgrade?) My wife has the 2011 Liftback Three w/Solar Roof option.. so, she got the Nav package w/that. we love the car, but don't use the Nav too often. She likes the backup camera, which I see this Priusv Two has as noted above..

We have friends who got a 2015 FIVE.. in (yes) Blizzard Pearl w/the panoramic roof and beige interior.. we kinda had to laugh when we saw it, cause it's pretty much exactly what we wanted.. (but can't afford) they leased it.. has the really nice wheels too.. it's really a gorgeous car..

I didn't think to ask in advance about this pending recall.. maybe we could have tied the car up for a few days if THEY took it in to the Toyota dealer.. but probably best for us to look at and test drive it first, and then use that as a bargaining chip on the deal. For sure, I'd like to take it to our Toyota dealer to be looked at, as opposed to one we are unfamiliar with. I'm not certain how this would work exactly since technically, it wouldn't be our car until a purchase.. (I would think we'd have to get them to agree to take it prior to purchase?)

Merged

btw, I've heard (from the Toyota dealer) that the 2017 Priusv will get a higher capacity lithium-ion battery pack..
    he said that's what a lot of folks are holding out for right now I guess..

#11 DogDaze, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
  12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Toyota dealer is going to tell you anything to delay a purchase from someone else. It's called FUD and it isn't new.

I wouldn't worry about the recall. My opinion of this type of recall is already posted so I won't go there. Maybe they will let you have it done with the inspection. Maybe not. Every dealer has their policy about inspections. Ask them but you are paying for the inspection.

In The Good Old Days many wanting to buy a Prius took whatever was on the lot the day it was their turn. If they didn't want the package or color the next person in line would buy it. Those days are long gone. So many times we only think we know what we want.

If you did your research you should have an idea of what the car is valued at and the asking prices in the neighborhood.

There's a 2012 silver v TWO with 48148 miles on it in Virginia for $14804.

DogDaze likes this.
  13. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Jim,

Thank you for your note and information.. I kinda wondered if a Toyota Dealer might do that (FUD) or not... but I agree, that might be a concern to be aware of.. Having driven a 2011 Prius Liftback since new, I guess we should expect a similar ride and experience w/this vehicle in our test drive.. (this evening)

They did lower the price on it (again) currently at $14,413.. So, seems to be a reasonable asking price. Will have to see after we test drive if they have any further negotiation room on it.

One additional question.

We looked at the car after hours Saturday Evening while we were out.. It was actually left unlocked on the dealer lot.. A bit of a surprise, I attempted to lock the doors prior to closing it.. but it wouldn't lock?? I found it odd that neither door lock would lock or unlock the car before closing the door.. (this is unlike our 2011 Liftback) I'd have thought the car could be locked w/o the key bob in hand??

Any thoughts or can someone advise as to if this is 'normal' on a Prius v? Thanks in Advance. -j

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe it had the key in it.

DogDaze likes this.
  15. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi RJ, Thanks for your note..
    I wondered the same.. but it was already dark, after hours and raining.. didn't really want to investigate that badly.. but wondered if someone could have drove it off the lot. It dawned on me that maybe I should have pressed the start button. :D:D

but in reality, w/the key in ours, we can still lock the doors.. (at least while we're in it)
    We'll check it out in a few hours.. pending it's still available when we get there.

Maybe there's a reason as to why they haven't sold it yet.. :confused:
    I'll post back as to what actually happens.. -j

btw, another observation.. it does have a hitch on it.. (kinda cool)
    I assume it was for a bike rack.. but.........
    I do have a jet ski.. (I won't ask)
    but did have thoughts that it might work (for like 2 miles twice a year)
    ~900lbs.. ~35lbs tongue weight..
    I'm aware that it's not recommended based on the other posts I've seen here..

16. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just checked my v3.... it does not lock without the fob from the outside. When the fob is inside, it will beep and not lock.

While I would like a hitch (2" preferably), I would hesitate on a used car that had one.

DogDaze likes this.
  17. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi RJ,

Thanks again for your note and info.. I don't recall hearing any beeps.. so, I'd guess the key not inside.
    interesting info that you can't lock it without the fob.. (tho, I was hitting the button inside the door, and still couldn't lock it)

as for the hitch, yes it IS 2".. and yes, I have the same concerns regarding hesitation. I previously looked at the car in the dark.. but didn't drive it the first time. (like ~3 weeks ago) and i didn't see any lighting or wiring harness inside.. (which would be needed to legally pull a trailer) So, I'm thinking it was used for a bike rack..

If it would work for the ski, I could displace our 1992 Camry Wagon. a great car that handles the ski and 2 larger dogs in the back w/no problems... will see tho.. (only 133k miles on the Wagon, but AC not working this summer)
    I saw 2 other Priusv's turn up in the same price range since last week, but both with 89,291 and 95,889 miles. (both Three's)
    one silver and one blue.. -j

18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 v Three has over 80,000 miles so 55,000 is not at all excessive (2 fas 4 u had 369,500 on his 2012 v when he traded it in)

I have a Three, but what I guess I wanted was a Two with 3 door SKS (only available on the Five)

19. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's a 2013 v Three, white. 26,500 miles. Meticulous. Private sale around $18 at most right now. KBB says $20 from a dealer, $22 mint shape. But I've learned to take the KBB value for what it is, a number on a screen. Personally, I'd much rather have my one year newer car with half the mileage for three grand more.

20. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Guys,

What would the symptoms be of a bad starting battery? The dead battery explained the locks issue.. They jumped it and it drove fine.. (I thought odd that the engine starts up) but came back and the battery is still dead (after a few minutes)