1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2014 Prius Four

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by amhouin, May 14, 2023.

1. amhouin

amhouin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2013 Prius with solar panel was totaled by a herd of deer a few yrs ago & I drive a Highlander currently but sooo miss my Prius & solar panel. Finally found an affordable Prius with solar panel—a 2014 Prius Four for 18k with 52k miles owned by an elderly couple who’ve kept it garaged :) and maintained at the dealership, confirmed by carfax. Perfect in today’s ridiculous car market, right? However, the owners state it wasn’t driven much during COVID (about 3k in the past 3 yrs, which car fax emissions records etc also confirm), and when I inquired about the last oil change because carfax lists 12.23.20, the owners confirmed that’s correct! :( They sent a screenshot of the oil change sticker. I realize it’s not good to let oil sit in the car because it can become sludgy. In today’s market I can only afford the 18k and have been looking for 3 months. I was scheduled to test drive it tomorrow but should this car be a hard pass? Thanks for any feedback.

Attached Files:

ockevin likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The oil is not the concern... the hybrid battery not being used is a bigger concern. Ask if they drove it every week for 10 miles or more. Replacement could be soon.

What is the age and condition of the Highlander?

#2 rjparker, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not great but not awful, the test drive will tell a lot- worth the time and effort.

Sniff for mice while you're at it.

amhouin likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you found a good one, all the best!

amhouin and Johnny Cakes like this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry about the oil. It will be fine. You can always change it, and the filter,
    if it makes you feel better.
    18,000 sounds like a LOT, for a 10 year old car. Have you looked at the KBB to see what
    they list it as?
    Bottom line, it's YOUR money. If you like the car and are willing to pay the high price, get it.
    No matter what anyone says.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A 2014 with 52k miles? Garaged? Ignore the sky-is-falling comments; sounds like a keeper.

the oil should have been changed at least yearly, but I think it’ll be good.

FYI, we’re first owners of a garage stored 2010 with 96k kms (~60k miles), doing fine.

7. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You might think this is a joke, but it's really not. Although "sniff for mice" is not the best test. Go to YouTube and watch a video on changing the cabin air filter (the one in the back of the passenger glove box). It takes less than a minute to get the cabin air filter out; no tools are required.

If the cabin air filter has been eaten and looks gnawed, then that is a sure sign of mice. You can do a search in this forum for all the details, but the short version is that the Prius uses eco wire coatings that are very yummy. Mice can do a huge amount of very expensive damage to the wiring system. It is shocking how many people have had mice infestations, but a common element is an eaten cabin air filter.

It's such a quick and easy thing to check that you really should prior to purchase.

That said, I'm with Bisco, Leadfoot and Mendel Leisk -- join the Prius family!

Prius Maximus, amhouin and ASRDogman like this.
  8. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    KBB private party value for your area is $19,000....if you like it, get it!

ockevin and amhouin like this.
  9. sambojoho

sambojoho Proud conservative

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a garage kept 2015 two with 78k miles for $13,300. Well maintained and clean car fax. I would keep looking for a better deal

10. amhouin

amhouin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. The owners stated they’ve driven it twice a week since Dec 23, 2020 but I did t ask the distance. Calculating out that it’s been sarou d 2k miles since that last service,
    Thanks for the opinion. The owners state they drove it twice a week, which seems accurate, given that current mileage is 52,233 and it’s been almost 3k since the last maintenance appt per carfax.

bisco likes this.
  11. amhouin

amhouin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My error in the thread title--it's a Prius 4 with solar panel. The owners stated they drove it twice weekly to keep the battery charged, which seems accurate, given that it has 52,233 miles now, which is about 3k since the last oil change. My Highlander is an 03 and it has 164k miles.

Ahhh, didn't even think about that. Although it was garaged, mice certainly enjoy those warm places in winter time!

Thanks! I really hope so. I've read threads of 400k Prius owners :)

#11 amhouin, May 17, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2023
  12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you driven it? Seen any service records?
    Seems to be a good deal. Just the price seem too high.

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So have you bought it yet?

An engineering change was made in 2014.

PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN. Identify by last six digits in vin sequence; seventh from end is the factory.

Prius Hatchback
    JTDKN3DU#E0358779
    JTDKN3DU#E1791355

Higher at factory 0 or factory 1 is better.

14. amhouin

amhouin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agree. Yes, it is a lot for a 2014 Prius 4, even with the solar panel package. Unfortunately, cars are much higher in the current market than just a couple of years ago. The 18k is pretty typical based on research, e.g,, Kelly Blue Book, Car Gurus, FB Marketplace, etc. Not a steal but not overpriced. If the current new Prius interest rates were 0 % or 1.9 % for 60 months (got that on my 2013 when purchased new) with a solar panel, I'd do that. The current best interest rate on a used vehicle is 5.44% for 36 months (Navy Federal has the lowest I've found). I'll attempt negotiation, so fingers crossed! Thanks for your opinion.

Another reason that I love PRIUSCHAT--the awesome info! It's a 1. I'm scheduled to check it out this Saturday. They're a lovely couple in a lovely, well-kept, highly expensive 5-car neighborhood, based on my friend's google searching their location LOL. The wife stated it to be "pristine." We shall see. Just wish they'd kept up the maintenance during covid and I'd be super excited!

Wow, nice! Congrats on your garage stored 2010 with only 96k kms! I'll be test-driving and checking the 2014 Four this Saturday.

I keep saying it...I LOVE priuschat. Such a wealth of information! I appreciate the filter tip. I change my air filters and have found Highlander, Corolla, and Prius cabin filters are all located behind the glove box. Quick and easy and not worth what the dealer charges for that part or for installation.

My parents' 2013 RAV 4's wiring was chewed by mice when they lived in a mountainous area and parked it outdoors. The dealership quoted 4k to replace the wiring. They took it to a local mechanic who was highly recommended around their town, and he cut, spliced, and wrapped the wiring for $40 and it's still going strong 9 years later.

Even if this 2014 doesn't work out on Saturday, 05.20.23, I'll be joining the Prius family : ) when I find the right one. Trying not to pay the ridiculously high current market price for a 2023. They're lovely, and I sooo miss having a solar panel roof, but adding a solar panel roof to the cost of a 2023 MSRP Prius seems ridiculous, not to mention adding in the current interest rates. Dealerships just aren't negotiating down from MSRP right now and a 2023 would be about 40K Prius with solar panel and sales tax, even if they removed some of the "dealer fees."

Very nice! Thanks for the feedback. I mistyped in the title but listed it correctly in the text. It's a 2014 Prius 4 with a solar panel roof. The KBB emailed quote does list it at 18k, and I do plan to attempt to negotiate this Saturday when checking it out. Keeping my fingers crossed ha!

@ASRDogman, I researched the VIN the owners provided and read the carfax. All maintenance was completed on time. Odd, right since they had no maintenance during covid. I'm guessing the husband, who is age 79 based on my friend's Google search of their address hehe, likely didn't want to chance going out in public. Understandable. The wife did state that they're willing to negotiate the price because of the maintenance fees that will be needed. I'll post a pic this Saturday if I purchase it :)

#14 amhouin, May 17, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2023
    CR94 and ASRDogman like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've updated the title for you

amhouin likes this.
  16. amhouin

amhouin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update: I was reassured after feedback on this forum that I was buying a solid 2014 Prius :) I’d confirmed with the sellers on Fri PM, that I’d arrive @10 AM Sat to drive & purchase their Prius if it was in the condition listed. The seller requested to update the time to 11AM. On Sat, I had lots of early morning activity with transferring $, meeting with credit union customer service to sign the auto loan, purchasing a cashier’s check, etc, etc. I had a friend drive me so as to follow behind me after my Prius purchase. The drive was approx 1 hr 20 min. I was super excited! I text the wife 20 min before arrival to ensure they’d notified their neighborhood security gate of a guest. The wife text back, “I am trying to catch you. We have sold the car.” WTH?! . (She received a negative FB from me for sure.) I was so disappointed that I didn’t even update this thread that I’d been unable to rejoin the Prius Family. After 5 more months of searching, I just bought a 2013 Prius 4, garage kept, pristine condition, with 59K, Prius pleather, and the deluxe solar roof package. It was $16,500. It has the solar roof I’ve searched months for, AND a sunroof, plus heated seats. Silver. I’m SO EXCITED! =)

kc410, Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

that was really bad form on the original sellers part.
    i'm glad you found a good one, all the best!

amhouin likes this.
  18. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    fyi.... I bought a 2014 Prius IV with 50k miles for about $16,600 in October 2023 ($1000 shipping is baked into price). had leather, solar, sunroof, HUD, heated seats, dimming RV mirror. was the best deal I could find all over America at the time. I put about another $1000 in it - new tires,12v battery, flush all the fluids, etc. So I'm in it for about $17,500. I think you did alright on the price considering the timeframe you were buying. we are overpaying for cars right now though! they have come down a bit $-wise since then. if you really like the G3 body style, you did alright. I don't think there is another equivalent hatchback sedan with such a good cargo capacity, which can seat 5 adults comfortably. I wish Toyota would revive the Gen3 with updated technology. I think it would sell well! I think the Gen5 will be a flop.

amhouin and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. amhouin

amhouin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @wr69 , I do like the G3 body style. Congrats on your 2014! My 2013 with 59k at purchase has the same options as yours. It took me a minute to figure out what HUD was after I bought it lol, and it’s a nice feature. Mine luckily had new tires and the 60k service completed by previous owner just before I purchased it, so I’m good with the $16,500 I paid (wish there wasn’t a bit of a loan though). I’ve already moved 2 nightstands and a dresser in it (all in the same trip). I’ve always been amazed at how much room there is in the back seat area and with seats folded down for cargo.

Prius owners are super loyal and I agree, if the G3 had updated tech, I think it’d be a great seller, especially if the price point was less than the 2024 Prius.

ASRDogman likes this.