1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used ABS Module bad or just need to do proper bleeding?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by horn12007, Sep 16, 2022.

1. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought a 2008 prius with a bad abs module. Lights on and everything, making noise, the works.

Just picked up a used module/actuator and swapped it out. I don't have techstream yet so I bled the brakes the ol fashioned way. I have good pressure on the back brakes. No bubbles or air coming out anymore. The same with the fronts. Brake pedal has great pressure.

The ABS still makes noise when I push the brakes. When I let up on the pedal it almost immediately stops.

I have a few questions:

1) If I did this same exact thing with a brand new abs module/actuator, would it make the same exact noise? Just trying to get an idea if the the used one I replaced with is actually bad too.

2) I assume that there is still some air in the system that can't be bled completely without techstream?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a good assumption; there is no "ol fashioned way" to successfully bleed a Gen 2 brake actuator.

If it hasn't been properly bled yet using the "after actuator replacement" procedure in Techstream, the first order of business is to do that, then see what you've got.

horn12007 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't use I didn't even try to use text dream to bleed mine I used the method that's 14 pages long that's out of the manual somebody put it up somewhere you have to jumper a thing I think to do the fronts the backs you can bleed normally etc etc I had a great pedal after that and I haven't had text stream hooked up to the car since before the actuator change I have no lights on great pedal pressure the pump is back to like it was when I first got the car and like my '05 pretty much shuts off pretty quick The pump that is. So I have not tried to reblade or do anything because it's working so well I don't want to fool with it. But I can't find any air if there is any I bled the crap out the backs and then jumper the thing and did whatever in the front and it pissed fluid all over every place. And I have dot five m o t u l brake fluid in the vehicle.

horn12007 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So all your lights are off and all that then you're in pretty good shape if you had a light on still then I'd probably be worried but with no lights and great pedal pressure and good stopping next is to drive in the rain or the wet and see if your traction control and anti-skid nonsense lights up and seems to work or put the wrong size tires on one axle and try to drive and it'll activate the traction control and the skid control and all that you'll see the lights literally come on almost instantly soon as you start to move down the road. So it sounds like you're pretty good. Noise sounds about right

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That somebody put up somewhere a 14 page long method that they think adequately bleeds the actuator, I can believe. That it's out of the manual might be easier to believe, for people who have read the manual, given a page number, or something.

horn12007 likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh heck I don't know the page numbers or nothing I printed it from right here when we were talking about it about a month ago on the Gen 2 forum All I know is it's 14 pages long and it shows how to jump or something to bleed the fronts but not two to the backs or vice versa I don't have the pages now in front of me and I'm not sure in which thread this was in but I know the manual somewhere in this forum I've never looked at it personally I just look at pieces that people post for a given job or what have you I just remember downloading the 14 pages to bleed the brakes right out here in the driveway about what 74 days ago now and it worked well so this is the other method I guess you can use if you don't have text stream and I don't remember seeing at the end of this 14 pages now you need to run to the dealer and have them do it with text stream or anything like that.

Prius Rising and horn12007 like this.
  7. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to test drive the car again. It took me a few tries with the paper clip thing, but the last time I did it, the lights went off. Will test drive some more to see if they come on. I also read that a weak 12v battery will cause issues so I'll test that.

To me the abs noise is happening far too much.

8. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'm sure techstream is good to have in general anyway. I just get tired of buying all these cables for one specific make.

Is there a cheaper scan tool that can do everything that techstream can, but also be generic enough to work on other cars? I have a cable for my ford, one for an old VW and will probably have this one soon.

I'm sure there is an expensive one that would do everything, but no point in spending a ton of money with techstream being cheap.

9. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just looked in the owners manual and it says nothing about bleeding.

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a "manual" way to bleed the brakes if the master cylinder has never run dry. It is the "Invalid Mode" and is useful for normal brake work related bleeding.

The XTool scanner line has good reviews including full brake booster replacement bleeding. Their XTool A30M bidirectional capable system for $219 would be my choice if I needed a new scanner that could also handle other cars like my Honda. Having a dealer bleed the system is less money.

Invalid Mode
    4FC61203-E618-46C3-95F8-BAADC8CDAC41.jpeg

horn12007 likes this.
  11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hacked tec stream is cheap . The real deal is quite pricey. I bought a dealers toughbook loaded with all updated thru late 21. Like 600 bux . I'm getting my parts buddies tec login.at local dealer. But I really shouldn't need it I never go online with the tough book plugged up to a car I already have all the updates for all the cars through late 21 and I'm only working on my stuff which is all over 10 years old.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Heck I didn't see that didn't even know there was an invalid mode that would have been a lot easier than the 14 pages and jump a ring a pin to bleed whichever breaks and then do the others this year could have just been done seemingly way easier.

13. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took the car for a mile drive on some side streets. The ABS noise is on about 50% of the time. When I first started the car, all the dash lights turned off. They were off most the time except for one point where I stopped for a second. All the lights (and brake light) came on. Then about 2 seconds later it all went away. Kind of odd. Thought maybe the brake fluid was low, but checked and there is plenty. After turning off the car the ABS was still making noise.

Just going to get the techstream in and go from there. The used module only set me back $60 so it was worth the risk.

14. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just looked up some reviews on Amazon and xtool said it couldn't do ABS on a 2006 toyota Sienna. Seems like the only safe option is techstream. Oh well. Not a big deal.

15. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A Prius abs/master cylinder/brake ecu is completely different than a Sienna. But a dealer bleed and calibration would be my choice. Your actuator may need a firmware flash as there were at least two versions per year and differences between years. Plus differences between a Prius v and hatchbacks. Most used sellers don't know this as they all look the same and have the same housing numbers.

#15 rjparker, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, if you ever remember the thread where you downloaded them, maybe you can add a link, or if you still have what you downloaded, you could re-upload it here and we'd know what you're talking about, and somebody might recognize where it originally came from.

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's pretty optimistic......this stuff gives me a headache...

18. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A dealer bleed doesn't make sense if you have no idea if the abs module is actually good or not though. Especially considering what a dealer charges.

19. horn12007

horn12007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also checked my battery and it had 11.87v.

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok hold on a sec it's here in another post . It is from the Gen2 service manual .