1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used catalytic converter in CA?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusroaddog, Jun 3, 2021.

1. priusroaddog

priusroaddog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

My catalytic converter was stolen from my 05 prius. I’m thinking about installing a used one somehow, since new ones are around $2,700 with installation.
    Has anyone done this or heard of it being done in California? It would have to pass emissions.

The prius has 144k miles. I also just discovered it has a transmission leak, which I got a quoted $500 to fix. Might be better to get rid of the car.

#1 priusroaddog, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you actually buy a used one?

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  3. priusroaddog

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve got friends in other states who could ship one, but I haven’t really tried to buy one in-state.

bisco likes this.
  4. priusroaddog

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mechanic says I’d need a new transmission since it’s leaking from the cabin. For the caty and tranny it would be $4,500. Probably best to scrap it at this point.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck finding a used cat, maybe someone from out of state would have better luck (doubtful).

You won't be able to buy an aftermarket cat within CA, and none of the domestic retailers will ship one into CA. You can order from the far north (130+usd), and many find they work just fine. Most repair/muffler shops wont install it (legalities), so you may be on your own there.

Then locate a smog tech that will pass it without the visual test, just watch each one from a distance before committing yourself.
    Leaking from the cabin? Do you have any images you can share?

priusroaddog likes this.
  6. priusroaddog

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops, it’s leaking from the case. That was a typo.

Thanks for the info about the cats and the smog check. I found a mechanic who would put on an after market cat, but since they stole the whole pipe and connecting piece on the engine side, an after market cat wouldn’t even fit. Also found a “new” cat from out of state, but shipping it could be sketchy.

Attached Files:

7. MsHeatherGrace

MsHeatherGrace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok I’m a little lost. What does this mean? Why wouldn’t my CA Prius pass a smog w/ a catalytic converter from another state? A sticker or something? I’m curious.

Also: This is likely wishful thinking, but can a catalytic converter be PHYSICALLY cleaned? (Not a with product, already tried that.) I’m a lil peeved that my car has < 70k and I need a new one. Codes confirm it, tho I’ve misplaced them now. Hardly drive the thing really, and even less post CV. Thx for any tips/advice. I’m broke & got in trouble w/ the DMV for not addressing this sooner. Kinda hard to do that when you’ve been laid off :(

Obviously ANY advice on how to get out of this cheap is much appreciated!

Never monkeyed with my own car, but then again I’ve installed my own ceiling fans. Can it really be that complicated?! I’m asking a lot, but what other stuff might I need to replace w/ such an issue? If I’m gonna get my hands dirty, want to know what I’m dealing with. Trying to be as prepared as possible. Need this done yesterday, Thx everyone.

#7 MsHeatherGrace, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  8. MsHeatherGrace

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CODE: P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Bank 1

9. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The catalytic converter has a serial number on it which must be in the state's database or else you'll fail the smog test. They are all over Craigslist for $200-250 "new," but they are likely all stolen.

If you'd like to do the work yourself, you'll need a way to get under the car, so a jack and jack stands or ramps.

MsHeatherGrace likes this.
  10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, techs are doing a visual inspection to look for the OEM cat. They may look under the car, and again down the passenger firewall.
    How much oil does the vehicle consume between oil changes?

Since you have a DIY attitude, you might try soaking the cat in citric acid / oxalic acid solution :

Catalytic Converter Issue..In California of course.... | PriusChat

Oil Contamination - P0420 Cat Replacement? | PriusChat

Acid bath and P0420 | PriusChat
    Was this the only OBD2 code retrieved?

If you do end up replacing the cat with something else, be aware that your used OEM cat is worth quite a bit of money ($$$$).
    Unlikely that they are stolen and only selling for 200+, when you can currently sell a used OEM cat for 1500+.

Likely a new aftermarket, then marked up to include a bunch of profit over cost. Order direct from Canada and find a tech to work with.

MsHeatherGrace and burrito like this.
  11. MsHeatherGrace

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting! Do you know if it’s etched on, or what? Anyone have a sample of what that looks like? I’ve got to have a code on mine since I bought my Prius new. It’d be nice to be able to “reuse” that.

Sounds kinda dicey, but then again, feels like the dice I’ve been using are loaded — I think that’s what they say? Who knows what I’ll end up doing... All I’m sure of is that I can’t afford a brand new one, not now. Borrowing $ to fix a car when I’m still not working… yikes! Got other higher priority expenses right now. Stupid CA state laws.

12. MsHeatherGrace

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the tips, especially abt cleaning the cat & working w/ Canada. Will check both out :)

As to your questions…

1. Oil consumption? Very little. There’s no leak that I can tell if that’s what you’re wondering. It’s garaged, so I’d know. If it’s for another reason, I’d love to learn more.

2. There were 2 other codes, but think they were both relating to the hybrid battery (which has been replaced with a refurbished one). You can tell me for sure, I’m guessing…? Thx again for your help!

936AA340-D285-487E-99AB-2EFD52AA22F6.jpeg

13. MsHeatherGrace

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @sorka said at Acid bath and P0420 | PriusChat

“4 service ramps to elevate the car, an O2 sensor wrench (I'd just replaced the O2 sensor a few weeks ago with no luck), a 14mm socket and extension of at least 12" and preferably a 1/2" driver and a breaker bar.

Removing the entire assembly is about a 5 minute job assuming you don't have to deal with a frozen O2 sensor. My old O2 sensor from a few weeks ago was seized and I had to let the threads soak in PB blaster for a few hours before it broke free. Didn't want to risk breaking off the O2 bung by over torquing with the breaker bar.”

Anyone have a video that explains this process in a thorough way? If I’m going to attempt this, I’ll need all those tools plus all the acid bath items mentioned, so:

• Suggestions on where to get the best prices on ramps & the tools involved? What abt the camping stove etc for the acid bath?
    • Where do I get O2 sensors — is it a dealer part or ?
    • Is the PB blaster likely to be needed/where do I get that?
    • Finally, the sensors that show all aspects of the catalytic converter working well or not (green v red)… is that part of an ODB2 sensor or something else? Either way, will need to add that to my list, I assume?

Any other ideas/advice appreciated. Thought I’d posted these questions to the other thread, but when I hit refresh, no longer saw what I wrote. Guess it’s possible I didn’t actually hit “post reply.” It’s been a day!

14. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding oil consumption, sometimes the engine ends up burning some of it with the fuel. You have to check the oil level with the dipstick periodically to see if it's dropping over time.

Depending on your situation, you may have neighbors you could borrow tools from. If you have time on your side, you can score good deals for stuff on Craigslist/etc. Personally, I got a floor jack and 6 jack stands for $30.