1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

used fob SKS programing "chicken dance" & tech stream fail

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beachbummm, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    after reseeding the car with the help of P.C. member (we got one fob to full function) I have tried 3 other used fobs all with the same end result, no sks function but all work when put into the dash.. when tech stream is used it shows 1 registered to the car 4 more can be programmed .. it never detects the extra fob, the count down clock times out

the chicken dance seems to program the fobs as the last step is to press the "lock" button and the door locks do cycle...
    After exiting the car and pressing the buttons on the fob nothing happens ..no lock, no unlock, no panic, no reaction to the button on the door handle..

the original working fob is still working (thank god I didn't screw it up)
    but Im open to ideas on what it might be..
    I put new batteries in the fobs and my 12 volt is 6 months old and working fine

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A seed works for one fob, and it has to be the first registered.

The seed process programs the fob with the car ID. Once the fob has the proper car ID, it can be added/deleted/readded without needing another seed.

The dash function doesn't need a seed to program a used fob. Doesn't even matter if the fob has a black or silver logo - they use the same transponder chip (as opposed to the circuit board that does differ between silver & black).

One possibility (remote) is that the circuit board inside the used fob doesn't match the silver/black logo. It's not the color of the logo that matters - it's the circuit board inside.

3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks for the reply, all the remotes have the silver logo and all have the same FCC number as the one we were able to get working.. as you said its possible the boards inside are different..

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should also verify that the red led in all the fobs lights up when you press a button. And all the keys should both press and release - one failure mode is for the rubber membrane to jam in pressed mode.

Since the 3 bad fobs don't seem to work, how about opening them up. That will free any stuck keys, and you can try registering just the circuit board (hold the battery in place). If that solves it, buy an aftermarket case for that circuit board. Be sure to move the transponder chip from the old case to the new one.

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    LED lights when pressed will try again with the boards removed.. thanks

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do that when the test was to ensure the fobs are working (i.e. buttons are not sticking) as the LED lights up when the button is pressed? Opening them up will not achieve anything.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i cant think of anything else that could be the problem, can you?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No nothing I can think of either, except I seem to have a vague memory that SKS may require brand new fobs and couldn't be made functional on used fobs.

I haven't mentioned it as I'm not 100% sure whether that is the case or not, but was hoping someone with the knowledge would chip in. If I'm correct the info will most probably be in the chicken dance thread.

Again, if that is correct, there is a "virginising" service that makes used fobs like new. To find that will take a search of the interwebs.

9. gsu13

gsu13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you ever solve this? I would like to try something similar: have one working silver logo keyfob for my 2005 Prius and would like to get two used keyfobs to fully work. I have a techstream and a cable and think I can get a reseed code, but would not want to screw up the one working keyfob. Thanks