1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used OEM O2 Sensor $25 or new pepboys part $75?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fragglestickcar, Nov 4, 2018.

1. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Title says it all.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you buy both of them and then decide? I'm sure many of us would want to know what option is best... Hopefully someone else will chime in. My hunch is that an 02sensor either works or doesn't work and there's not an issue of anything getting worn out. But I don't know what it is specifically that causes an 02sensor to fail.

3. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was trying to avoid being the one to take one for the team. Some esteemed forum members deem OEM worth the extra dollars. I personally never understood this, having shopped generic brands my entire life.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You get what you pay for. If you don't want a Toyota branded product, you can buy the Denso brand, which makes the Toyota stuff.

Most electronic parts can't be returned so it's best you don't buy generic and find out it doesn't work or it'll fail prematurely

Skibob likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm (purely) guessing an O2 sensor slowly gets a coating, carbon or whatever. I would get new. Then the question: is there really any difference between the part Pep Boys sources and the one you buy at a dealership parts department? Research it.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The choice of original or aftermarket parts is about both quality and compatibility. Toyota generally doesn’t publish engineering documentation for parts, and if you buy a part offered as a substitute, it may or may not have all of the important characteristics of the original, some of which may not be obvious.

Toyota’s heated oxygen sensor (89465-47070, according to the parts catalog) comes with an electrical connector and grommet, seen in many photos. If I were shopping for an aftermarket replacement, before I’d buy a generic one, I’d consider the Denso 234-4623, which, at this writing, Pep Boys sells online for $37.80. It gets favorable Amazon.com reviews from owners of second-generation Prius cars, so the compatibility seems clear: indeed, as @JC91006 notes, Denso was the original supplier to Toyota.
    Toyota’s technical training (T874) says, “Contamination or corrosion of the platinum electrodes or zirconia elements will reduce the voltage signal output.” I suppose damage to the wiring or connector or burnout of the heater circuit are also possible failure modes.

JC91006 and fragglestickcar like this.
  7. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, I love the internet. Thanks for such quick and quality answers thus far.
    I want to note that the used OEM part I'm looking has this photo denso.jpg
    If you click through, you'll see that it's DENSO.

PriusCamper and Elektroingenieur like this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a lot of Toyota parts they just grind off the Toyota name and sell it under their own name. Asin water pumps do that all the time. The Asin clutch I replaced on my 4 Runner was the exact same clutch Toyota sells. That Denso O2 sensor is probably OEM.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is fine to buy replacement parts from sources such as Aisin and Denso as they are the original equipment suppliers used by Toyota. I would not buy no-name aftermarket parts.

I hope the OP recognizes that the upstream sensor is an air/fuel ratio sensor while the downstream sensor is an O2 sensor. Big difference between the two with regards to voltage output and behavior.

I would not install a used sensor unless it is known to come from a low-odometer reading vehicle.

ydpplqbd and PriusCamper like this.