1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Oil Analysis - 2005 w/ 210k miles - 15w40

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by atomix, Nov 18, 2019.

1. atomix

atomix New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car is driven mostly highway, with the usual metro DC traffic at times. Then the engine gets to take a nap. Most of the time it's howling along at 70 mph.

I couldn't wait to do this UOA. The owned-since-new family Prius started burning oil somewhere in the 100k mile range. Got to be about 2 make up quarts within a 7500 oil change interval, on a car with a ~3.5 quart sump. Had run 5w30 synthetic in it forever, switched to 'high mileage' -- no change. Put in conventional -- no change. Owning two diesels, my eye quickly turned to the <$10 a quart 15w40 shelf in my basement... Big reduction in burning on first oil change. Here we are on the third, and virtually no oil burning. Was going to do a cylinder soak when I change the plugs for the 240k mile service, but I think I can forget about that now.

Cheap WIX oil filter used, the slightly bigger one for Camrys.

Yes, this is way too thick for an engine that Toyota specs for 0w20 in later years. But the wear metals seem to say all is ok. Guess the parts are barely touching anymore ;-) ?

Not sure what to make of the Sodium, low enough to not worry?

Attached Files:

Stimp and SFO like this.
  2. ken2116

ken2116 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    -The Base Number (3) is a consumable you don't want to go too low.
    - The analysis indicates more P and Zn than most modern gasoline car oils contain when new, both affect catalytic converter life and this is likely to be even more of concern on cars that burning oil. I once asked Chevron (Delo 400) and Mobil (Delvac) about using their 15W40 oils (Delo 400, Delvac) in a '88 BMW which specs these weights and they both advised against it because they contained additives that could reduce cat life. You might try seeing if you get similar reduction from an 0W40 or 5W40 oil made for gas burners, perhaps a Euro version, if they still help with oil consumption you'll also get the benefit of faster delivery on cold starts.

davecook89t likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Such low mileage and such terrible oil burning or usage wow that's weird I don't know that that's normal for the 1NZ whether hybrid synergy drive or just the regular gas unit they're pretty dependable decent engines My 09 Prius is I don't know 330 on it I think and I'm on 10,000 mi changes and in that 10,000 if I do a bunch of highway driving I'll add a quart

SM-A715F ?