1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius cost MORE than NEW Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by sillylilwabbit, Jul 18, 2015.

1. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can anyone answer this?

I see a bunch of used 2012, 2013, 2014, etc used Prius Plug Ins for sale. The range from $23,000 to $29,000. The sellers say that is a good price they are selling for.

I go to the dealer asking about the Prius Plug In and they immediately say $26,xxx for a Brand New. 2015 Prius Plug In without even negotiating.

So, 2015 brand new Prius plug in for $26,xxx and $23,000 to $29,000 for a used Prius (image varies, few have minor dents, scratched paint in the bumper, damaged passenger side mirror, etc)

Why is new cheaper than used?

They only incentive I saw was $2,000 cash back for new purchases.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For those that know better, they'll buy new

Silver bullit likes this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Gotta look at the trim level too? Advanced tech package? Etc.. All that stuff ads up quickly so that's prob why some of the used ones are priced higher...

The brand new one is a base model I would presume. A great deal though...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you need to get the details regarding hov sticker, state and federal rebates, dealer add on's and etc.

26k for a car with an msrp of what, 29k? good deal, i wonder if some people selling used are aware?

what is the kbb value on a private sale?

5. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, based on the damage and huge price discrepancy, new looks like the way to go.

The only thing I don't like about new cars are 2 main things:

1. Huge depreciation once it is titled to an owner with continual huge deprecation for at least 3 years. Makes me feel like throwing money away when I should have bought "slightly" or "gently" used.

2. Always afraid to park near others cars for fear of door dings on your brand new car.

6. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The Toyota website seems to down or not responding when I was trying to "build" a car, but from what I remember, the last time I was on the website, your only options were:

1. Base (with accessories (floor mats, cargo net, stuff) package with aren't worth much)
    2. Advanced (I didn't check that one because that started at $35k, which is too much of a premium and more than I want to spend).

From what I have read on the Internet, my understanding is that the Prius plug in is equivalent to a Prius III or Three or 3 without the plug in portion (not sure which "3" it is or the correct way of typing it).

The price difference between the Prius 3 and Prius plug in has me debating whether I want a Prius (none plug in) or a Prius plug in with all the rebates, incentives, etc.

#6 sillylilwabbit, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    ICE likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The HOV sticker, from my understanding, those come with the Prius plug in models.

As for the federal rebates, tax credits, etc, I am assuming those were available to the sellers when they bought their Prius plug ins, except depending on when they bought their cars, if manufacturers incentives were available.

The only incentives I see now are: $2,000 cash back on purchase, or 0% finance, not combinable.

There is also a lease incentive, but I am not looking at leasing at the moment, but if the resale value is that bad, I may consider leasing.

I used edmunds to price the used cars I was looking at.

One seller asking $29,000 for 2014 Prius plug in, looks like base, mentions nothing special. Looked up on edmunds and marked it a s "clean vehicle", imputed the milage:, result:

Private party sale: $23,283
    Dealer retail: $24,507

Another selling a low milage 2013 Prius plug in for $21,500 with minor dents, broken passenger side mirror, scratched front passenger side bumper, result:

Private party price: $15, 960
    Dealer retail: $16,844

Some of these sellers won't budge on the price.

#8 sillylilwabbit, Jul 18, 2015
    ICE, bertoncini and bisco like this.
  9. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As much as everyone likes to have a new car, I agree that new isn't the way to go unless you got money to blow. I can say that on the east coast plug-ins are going for good prices. My 2012 advanced with 48k on it cost me 20k after the dealer fees which is just a little over half the original price. My 2013 base cost me just over 14k after dealer fees, of coarse it had 83k on it but that's nothing for a Toyota.

Try using Edmunds.com to find one. I used the info there to show the dealership that used PIPs were sitting on dealer lots for months without buyers, at least within 500 miles of here. That made it relatively easy to get the advanced down to $19,601 from the 24k asking price.

ICE likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess they don't really want to sell then.

11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't like door dings on a new or used car. I park way out in the back 40 everywhere I park.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  12. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Wow, an advanced model for $19,601 ! That is a deal!!!!! Congrats!

I am wondering if I wait longer or until the 2016 plug in, I may find the sellers becoming at least more negotiable.

ICE likes this.
  13. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Ya, I know what you mean.

The first door ding makes you feel the world is crashing down on you and you try to figure out when the heck did that happen trying to retrace your parking spots.

The first 1 door ding or search on the bumper are the worst.

14. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

How about this....

A few days into ownership of my brand new shiny Persona.... I park way out in the far corner of a shopping center parking lot and back in close to the curb to at least protect that one side...

Well when I go to pull out I misjudged just how long that curb was that ran along the right side of my car and I "grinded" a nice 3" stretch of my rim! Talk about your heart sinking!! :(

Yeah the tires have that rim protector that sticks out but it doesn't work that good. I found some touch up paint in the gunmetal color and it blended in almost good as new, and now I am more careful.. Lesson learned.

15. redhotz

redhotz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I picked up a used 2012 PIP advanced last October from an east coast Toyota dealer. It had 13,000 miles, blizzard pearl, super clean. The sticker had a price of $41,000. I got it for $22,500 plus tax, etc. I bought it site unseen, from pictures only and had it shipped to Cleveland, Oh. I love this car..........

ICE, bisco and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably a combination of varying trim levels and/or equipment additions.
    Coupled with the psychology that someone trying to sell something for themselves is most often always going to try to get max value, while a car dealership is going to try to entice you onto the showroom floor with "Amazing Offers".

Someone was just posting the other day how horrible the resale value of a Prius is.
    Now today you are posting that they are selling for more than new Prius.

So I guess it's perspective.

17. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The used car lot is where most dealerships make thier money...or so I've heard..

Buy em low, sell em high..

#17 Blizzard_Persona, Jul 18, 2015
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been pricing used PiP's too but presumably Ca. is a different world.
    What you notice here is a low miles PiP regular say 25k miles is $20-21 at a dealer Certified used.
    If it gets to 75-80k miles or so then you can see as low as $15k. Here we're non-CARB so anything like 80k miles that means some burden of potential batt failure at 100k miles warranty is up (although don't think we've heard of any batt failures in PiP).

19. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Just to clarify: these sellers are asking for these prices, but I don't think they are getting any interested buyers.

Searching the Internet, I think I know why these sellers want so much for there cars. The MSRP was $32k and $39k back then. Toyota has since dropped the MSRP to $29k and $34/5k

These sellers owe more than what their cars are worth.

The people who say the resale values of their cars were so low are mainly the regular Prius owners (not plug in). I have seen of a lot those selling for pretty reasonable or low priced.

20. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, calif.

I thinking on not searching as hard for a plug in and wait until the 2016 plug in comes out so the price drops on the earlier models.

I also notice used cars at Toyota dealers and are pricing Prius higher to support their brand name while a BMW dealer wants the Prius off their used car lot and selling for less.

I see CARB help makes a decision when the car you are looking at is abound or near 100k miles.

ICE likes this.