1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius.... Extended Warranty question over 36k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenCleaner, Feb 21, 2008.

1. GreenCleaner

GreenCleaner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As some of you may know from another recent post I have been deciding to get a Prius. I am 210% convinced, its just a matter of finding the right one in my price range.

Anyhow, I found one at a Honda dealership with 49k miles. Unfortunately I would have to take the warranty from them. The dealership is 200 miles away from me and it would be impossible to go and pick up the paper work, read and analyze the warranty they are offering for $1,700 (5 yr/60k mile).

Is there any place I can get a warranty specifically for Prius over 36k miles?

The dealership mentioned I shouldn't have any problems using it over the next 5 years and I can go to any service department across the country. But when the time comes for a repair, it maybe another story. Something wasn't included in the warranty that I missed or the dealership it's towed to doesn't have the expertise to handle a hybrid. These are a lot of what ifs but this is again 1,700 that I don't want to toss when there maybe BETTER options available in my case.

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think its possible to get an extended warranty after you go over the standard warranty.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can get a used car warranty, but i think it has to be purchased from a Toyota dealer. I talked to Troy about it several months ago about something similar. Better call Troy to get the straight scoop.

4. GreenCleaner

GreenCleaner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just s poke with him. Either get a new Prius or under 36k mile Prius. Pretty much stuck!

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Correct. You can't get genuine Toyota warranty unless it is(was)
    - within 3yr/36K miles
    - bought from Toyota dealer as certified pre-owned

6. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok - so if you purchase a certified pre-owned Prius with >36K, is it possible to extend the comprehensive warranty beyond 3,000 miles?