1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius, first time buyer questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DavidF10, Nov 7, 2013.

1. DavidF10

DavidF10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone:

I’m asking for opinions.
    I’m considering buying a used Prius -. I’m looking at the 2010 models with about 30 – 40 k miles on it. I’m asking for general opinions to consider before purchase. I’m also interested in issues to be wary of when talking to the dealer about Prius-i ?. Specifically, there is that large battery “pack” replacement. On this site I saw that it costs $3 - $4 thousand. But talking to one salesman, he said I can replace just 1 cell like an ordinary car battery. I was skeptical so I open this question up to those who know – you. Basically, any advice about buying a used Prius will be much appreciated.
    The salesman also said,, “ oil changes every 10k miles. This for a 2013 Prius. True ?
    [ BTW, the ~ hour I spent on this site yesterday impressed me as to how much response one receives. ]

Thank you all!

D

2. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery is warranted for 8 years/100,000 miles or 10 years/150,000 miles depending on your state. The CARB states, those following California's emission laws, have the longer warranty. This doesn't mean that the battery will suddenly die at 10 years.

It is possible to replace individual cells of the battery if you don't mind doing some work. Search YouTube for videos.

Oil change interval is 12 months/10,000 miles using synthetic oil for current models; I don't know about previous years.

My wife and I bought our first Prius, a new 2013, 4 months ago and have been very happy with it. They seem to be extremely reliable, so a good used Prius should not be a problem.

3. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In late 2010, the oil change interval was changed from 5000 miles to 10000 miles with the caveat that synthetic 0W-20 oil is used. The car had been out for a while when the change from Toyota took place.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! a bigger concern is the inverter which costs a few thousand and only 3 or 5 year warranty. but these babies are pretty bulletproof and highly rated for reliable, so i wouldn't concern myself with it. spend more time here searching old threads on maintenance and problem resolution, do your due diligence and when you're comfortable, start your car search. all the best!(y)

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I wouldn't worry about the traction battery as there are battery refurb places that will remove the battery, test each cell, replace those bad and guarantee the result. Plus many go 200k or more before they get weak.

The 12v starter battery is the one that fails as with any car so bargain for a new one at car purchase time. Toyota or Optima AGM. Not a huge expense.