1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius is it a buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AlphaTeam, Jun 13, 2009.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey it has been a while.
    A friend is looking at cars and came across a 2002 Prius with 123,000 for $6000. I don't know a whole lot about Gen I since I have a Gen II. What are the repairs like on something that old? I don't know yet what maintenance has been done to it. He is a college student and doesn't need big repair bills if now is the time stuff starts to fail all of a sudden.

2. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just a thought... You could come across a 2004 with less mileage for about 2-3 grand more. As I understand the older (pre 2004) models had more frequent battery issues.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Without a comprehensive history, and a couple of other checks, is is not possible to assess any particular Prius. The opinion of several knowledgeable posters here is that NHW11 are suitable for people who want to be involved in repairs or modifications if they become necessary. I'm not really in that group, but much more info would be required before I'd vote yes.

Several other Toyota and Honda models of the same age could make fine 'college cars' for a lower price.

4. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 04 58K miles Mint out the door for 10K so I would say no...