1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius mileage. How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ThisIsMyName, Jul 23, 2013.

1. ThisIsMyName

ThisIsMyName New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to flood this forum with posts. I'm looking at several used priuses (prii?) What kind of mileage should I avoid?

2. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Avoid anything close to an expiring traction battery warranty (100K miles in non-emission states and 150K in CA emission states), UNLESS it has a brand new traction battery.

JMD likes this.
  3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Depends on your budget, tolerance for risk, and personal desires.

roccostud likes this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The main traction battery lifespan is about 10 years. Many have exceeded that and others have not. Much is determined by abuse and environment

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gee, that depends. How much do you have to spend? Cash deal or finance? What model years are you considering?

It's always best to buy the newest model year with the fewest odometer miles that you can afford.

Tell us how much you can afford and then current prii owners can provide you with guidance/opinions as to what you SHOULD buy.

This is my story.

I bought my 2005 Prius 33 months ago for $6800+ tax. $27.5K original sticker price. Almost every available option you could buy on it.

It had 134K miles when I bought it. It has 201K miles today. The hybrid system (except for the inverter water pump which was replaced under the special warranty program at 185K miles) has been flawless. So are the brakes which are original and are still functioning well. The 12V aux battery and traction battery are original.

The only problem I've had with it thus far was a noisy engine water pump that I replaced by myself a month ago/3000 miles ago. The HID leveling sensor was bad when I bought it so I don't count it as a problem within my time of ownership.

So, chalk up a +1 for a Prius with "high miles". My goal is to reach 299,999 before selling it. Only 98K more to go. Piece of cake.

PriusGuy32, Mochabuzz and JMD like this.
  6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota in general has a reputation for cars that run for a long time. If you look at the stickies at the top of this forum you will find separate threads for people who have 100k, 200k, and 300k miles on their prius. This does not guarantee that your car will do the same, but shows that it is possible. You could poke around in those threads for details.

7. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just want to stick this out there: Don't ever use a taxi as an example of reliability. Any taxi can last plenty of miles because they're only on the road for a few years. In my opinion you shouldn't expect the traction battery to last more than 150,000 miles. The rest of the car is pretty much bulletproof though.

8. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not the inverter water pump. It failed at 185K miles on my car. I was fortunate I was only six miles from home when it went kaput.

The engine water pump failed at 195K on my car, too. It was really noisy and the bearing could have seized at any moment.

As to the traction battery - its longevity beyond 150K miles depends on many factors - climate, topography, use, etc. In my opinion, 75% of Gen 2 traction batteries will last to at 200K miles and more.

9. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car is clean and has the options that you want........don't worry about the mileage. The battery can be replaced/rebuilt for $500 ish. The rest of the car is bulletproof.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to disagree. As jadziaman pointed out, the inverter pumps do fail on the Prius. Also, the three way coolant valve does fail at times. Both items are a repair at the dealers in the 250 to 350 range. Those items are very common failures, and are often reported here on Prius Chat as well as elsewhere online.

Google P0A93 Google for more info on the failure's of the inverter pump. That is the DTC code and it comes up quite often over the fleet of Prius on the road today.

The Prius is a excellent car but is by far "bulletproof".

Ron

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with Tampa, they are bulletproof.!!!! :)

12. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tennis, anyone?