1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used prius on a budget?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by thesmoth, Jan 30, 2013.

1. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am considering a used prius at a local toyota dealership; however, the price seems steep for what is offered.

I haven't seen it in person, but the ad suggests it is a base model with 251k km (155k miles) and is a 2006. They say it was a one owner car with full service record from the dealership. They are asking $8900 canadian (west coast of canada).

From what i've read the battery will most likely die any day now, and I can't afford to take a loan out to pay for this car, and then within a year drop $3000-4000 on a new battery. Also keep in mind, being in canada, I cannot order a new battery from ebay (shipping is $1000-2000 alone), and even reinvert would be too expensive due to shipping.

With the gen 2 batteries being improved, is it safe that this thing would last at least a few more years? It is a 2006 so only 7 years old, but the high km worries me.

If I seriously consider this, what should I be asking? About the cooling pump recall repair (to see if it was done), when the transmission fluid was last changed? Any other big ones to look out for?

I've asked if they offer any sort of warranty or guarantee. When I sent an email stating that I would take the car if they put a new battery in, the guy played it off like prius batteries never die and it is just a myth that they do, but from researching online I know better.

Thanks for your help!

2. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you should share where you read that. Plenty to read on this site to help you answer your question.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's the deal. There are no guarantees on a used vehicle (especially one with over 100,000 miles and 7 yrs old. With that being said, the chances are good your car will have few problems. You live in a cold climate so the batt shouldn't be too affected (heat and age are the killers of the battery).

Personally, I'd be more concerned about wheel bearings, shocks, struts, suspension and other mechanicals more than the battery.

4. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is all over these forums. That is the generally understanding i've got from doing a lot of reading on these forums.

I know it depends on heat and age, but many people in cold climates with low km have them fail at 8-10 years as well. I've read from some battery guru guy on this site that even high km 2007s are starting to fail.

5. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the advice.

I'd love a prius, but i'm at a financial stage that I can't afford to pay for the hybrid novelty, i'd actually need it to work for me in terms of saving money on gas and repairs. If the car is too old and high mileage I guess I throw that out the window. I know they have no alternators or starter motors, but if the battery/inverter fails then it is a huge repair cost.

I can get a toyota yaris from 2009 with less than 80k miles for cheaper than I can get a 2006 prius with 155k miles. Obviously the prius is a nicer car, but straight up economics suggests the yaris would be a better deal.

JMD likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think that is a wise move, all the best!

7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IMO, the Prius is twice the car. There's no way I would get a Yaris if I could afford a Prius but, that's just me.

8. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Damn, I was hoping you'd talk me into the prius :)

Thanks for the help!

9. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I can get a yaris and a prius for the same price (around 8-10 k), but the prius is older and has high miles, and the yaris is newer and has low miles, would you still take the prius? I had recently seen a private sale of a nice 2005 prius with only like 95k miles on it, but it was still pretty old and they wanted $10,000 for it. Despite the lower km I was still worried about the battery dying at that magical 8 year mark.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not familiar with yaris, i would have to drive one. prius is an incredible car, but i couldn't in good conscience recommend the prius and then have you come back and say you need a few thousand for a repair.

JMD likes this.
  11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about this magical 8 yr mark. I do know that when people have an HV battery issue, they come here. It stands to reason that someone researching traction battery problems that comes here and starts reading would get scared because nearly every person that has a traction battery problem will come here and report it and ask what to do. What needs to be considered is all the people who aren't reporting problems.

I have 2 Prius (2001 and 2006). Both have the original traction battery and both have over 100,000 miles. 8yrs is way far gone on the 01 and even 10yrs is way gone. Yet everyday I wake up and expect the car to get me to where I want to go. I would drive the car 1000+ miles tomorrow if I needed to.

As for which Prius to buy, many things need to be considered besides mileage. The 05 is older. I would stick with the 06 (if it has been well cared for). If the 05 has been well cared for, I would go with that one. Look at both and make a decision that's right for you (including buying the Yaris).

12. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see, thanks. You're right about how reading forums you are going to get a ton of people saying they have problems (because they come for help or to complain), but most people don't have problems. On the other hand the dealers and sales people will lie and say prius batteries will never die.

Right now there are two prius cars i'm looking at.

One is a 2006, base model, 155k miles, one owner, dealership sale, and they are asking $9000 for it. It is from a toyota dealer, but there is no warranty as far as I can tell. It looks clean and again, one owner will all dealer service and records. It is the base model so no fancy smart key or gps.

The other one is a private sale I know less about. The owner just bought a new prius. This one is a 2005 with only 85k miles and they want $9500-9000, and has more options upgraded with GPS system, side impact airbags, security alarm, skid traction control,six-disc CD changer. Smart Keyless Entry. Also it has new tires.

Assuming the 2005 is also a one owner car with good service records, it SEEMS like the 2005 is a better deal despite being a year older, since it has lower km, new tires, and more features/gps.

What do you guys think? The other option is the 2009 yaris with 40k miles for $8000, which has very basic features (4 doors, but basic power windows/doors and that is it).

13. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    \

I appreciate the advice!

I'm currently driving a 1990 toyota camry wagon with 300k miles, so i'm no stranger to repairs. I can handle paying $1000-1500 a year in repairs over several small incidents, but a massive $3000-5000 ding from a big prius repair would kill me.

JMD likes this.
  14. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lots of miles left in that Camry.

15. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have an old Cliche. "Never be Penny Wise and Pound Foolish". Another "A Fool and his money are soon parted".

This is my opinion. Walk Away. No I changed my opinion. Run away and don't look back. Lose the number.

A big part of buying a car is a worry free motoring experience for many years. Peace of Mind is worth it's weight in gold.
    My suggestion is buy a NEW car. Get one you can afford. The Prius C new is much better that anything. Reliable, affordable, and new. you will get a good 10 years of driving with just routine maintenance. Just budget for car payments. Low on cash take the loan out 84 months. Never throw good money at bad things.

Let us know your decision.

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the 05 has been well cared for (and it probably has since the owner bought another Prius), I would go with that one. That advice is for me in my situation. I don't know everything about you but I do know the Yaris is a basic transpo vehicle and the Prius is an advanced transpo vehicle. I took a chance and bought an 01 Prius 3.5 years ago. I have never looked back or regretted it.

By the same token, this is my story. Other stories may differ.

JMD likes this.
  17. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why worry about the pack? Do you worry about the ICE ,Transmission and so on. Its simple, if the pack goes you fix it! It is only one item that can fail. On a Prius in cooler climates they tend to out last the car. Go for the Prius as it is the most reliable auto on the road from all I read. H:)

18. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea, it just isn't reliable enough to take out of the city, and every few months requires small repairs. In the last year i've had to do the radiator, spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor, alternator, starter motor, part of the exhaust, and a few other small things. I'd like a car I can take on long road trips and feel comfortable.

19. thesmoth

thesmoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is great advice, and the warranty on a new car is big, but my problem is that from all I know and have read, new cars are bad news in terms of value. Since they drop in value so quickly after purchase, you can usually save a lot if you buy a used or slightly used car.

Also, if a base prius is 26k, you then pay 3k in delivery and other fees (that is what they charge in Vancouver) and then another 3-4k in taxes, so you're around 32k for a base model new prius. I guess as a compromise I could get a newer prius, like a 2010 or 2011 with very low km for something like for around 20k, and just pay 2-3k in tax and no delivery fees, and still save ~10k over a brand new one.

The prius c is a good option as you mention, but i've read bad reviews that it isn't a very good quality car and isn't nearly as nice as the standard prius. Again, the base price is 20k, but throw in delivery and tax and you're around 25k.

Tough choices!!! The camry wagon I have does run well, it just isn't trust worthy due to it's extreme age and mileage, and it requires frequent repairs.

20. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if I was a bit cryptic in my response, but your post seemed a bit troll like. My apologies to you. However your assessment of what is on this forum is completely inaccurate. As usnavystgc mentioned, this is a place where people generally come to report problems and seek help. But even given that, you completely ignor all the posts of the 100K and 200k members and beyond. Now I have not counted the total number of reported battery failures, but a goggle search of the site for "battery failed" site: priuschat.com returns about 304 hits. Priuschat had over 28,000 members prior to the release of the Gen III so these are all the possible people that could report a failure.

I'm not saying this is a great metric, but the point is battery failure is actually extremely rare -- like dying in an airplane crash. You just hear a lot about it.