1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius with disconnected front Turn Signals help.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PuffyWiggles, Jul 24, 2022.

1. PuffyWiggles

PuffyWiggles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    So I have been working on this Prius and the final steps needed for it being road ready are the Front Turn Signals. Ill upload photos below.

The main question id have, beyond why in the hell did someone do this, would be how are the signals color coded? I bought a replacement connector with wiring, and just want to make sure I connect the negatives and positives correctly.

The headlights themselves work great, the taillights and back Turn Signals work and I get noise inside the car when I press the headlights. Anything else I need to particularly worry about before plugging everything together for testing? Should I disconnect the 12v for this? I just finished my OBD2 scanner checks for emissions, would be a shame to have to drive another 150 miles.

Edit: The first picture is showing the harness containing the wires for the Blinkers (My finger is pointing towards it) and the second is just showing that both sockets are completely empty with no connectors attached.

Attached Files:

#1 PuffyWiggles, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I could just send you both sides cut out back as far as you want holy Christ you sure the wires aren't just below that corrugated loom a little?

SFO likes this.
  3. PuffyWiggles

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Lol unfortunately not. Ive looked everywhere for anything else. I cant see anything else that isnt connected beyond my signal/park light and that harness holding wires. Seems to be the ticket, but like you said, kind of ridiculous.

Only other info I can give is there are 2 black/white striped wires and 2 that are One Yellow and One Reddish Brown on the Left Side and on the Right Side there are 2 black/white striped wires and 2 that are One Green and One Reddish Brown.

If I had to guess id assume the Yellow and Green are the signals one of the Black/White striped wires is the ground and the Red/Brown is the Parking Light. Its just their are 2 Black/White striped and I suppose a ground is a ground, but, im not sure if you need the correct ground. If so I suppose a coin flip is what i'll be doing.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you see wires. On each side of the car so what you need is the bulb sockets cut out with a bunch of wire left on them so you can butt splice them together however you get in there pretty much or if there's one at a salvage yard at LKQ or whatever nearby go cut a set out The wiring diagram is here in the shop manual on this site there's a link up for it almost in every other post

5. PuffyWiggles

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    So I ended up buying 2 replacement connectors off Amazon. Its a simple enough part so ill hope for the best. The only odd thing is both the wires on this connector are red. I have no idea which one is positive or negative. Is there any world where it doesn't matter which one connects to which?

Its also still weird that there are 2 Black/White ground wires. Most things im reading say there should only be 3 Wires. Ground, Turn Signal, and Parking/Side Light. So why do I have 4 Wires?

Idk, getting a little more nervous about this.

Heres the link to the Connector I bought if you want to take a look

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should get a subscription to techinfo.toyota.com

Use it to look up the wiring for the harness that you are working on, a lot better than guessing on which wire does what.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. PuffyWiggles

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    We can label this one as solved boys. The process was actually super simple. Didn't matter how we plugged up the signal, as long as the signal and a ground went into the connectors wires. Finally have my Prius in tip top shape and it passed the inspection!

Yay!

xliderider likes this.
  8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quite easily explained if the car was from our neighboring state to the south (Mass), where drivers never need their indicators since IT'S NONE OF YOUR DAMNED BUSINESS WHICH DIRECTION I AM ABOUT TO TURN, SO F*** OFF, DAMN YOU! :eek::rolleyes:o_O;)