1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius worth more than new

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Doc Willie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love my Prius more then any car I have ever driven, but I think I would be tempted to let my 2007 package #2 with 35,000 miles go for about $30,000. I even have all the maintenance records to prove that it has always been serviced and always with full synthetic oil. Of course I said tempted. :)

2. crow

crow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got it at MSRP + tax & license, but I bought the extended warrenty for 2125, which after reading these forums I now realize was a big mistake that I will deal with this week. I was so darned excited that he probably could've sold me more stuff if he'd tried at that point :eek:. I feel like the luckiest person on the planet to have gotten this car! Now I'm looking at car covers, 'cause I don't want anybody touching my baby!

3. mattmill

mattmill New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Local dealer here in Maine is the only one that has one on the lot.. It's a used 2008 #2 with 9k miles got in trade for a #6. They are asking $30k and said it was that high so they could try to keep it on the lot for test drives since no one has any. I believe it's now sold, we drove it last weekend.

matt

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just went online to Carmax and put it Prius for quick search. At the going rate, I should get over $30K easily for my used 07, what with all the extras I've put in. Of course I won't sell my baby at any price.

Surprisingly, you can buy a used Escalade (06-07) for less than a used Prius. Talk about upside down.

5. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Reporting here from suburban Maryland, where I drove a friend to a Toyota dealer today to reserve himself a Prius (my two years of advocacy have converted him to the cult -- bwahahahaha!). :spy:

They had one, used Magnetic Grey with prominent scratches on the lot. A 2005, package 3, 30K miles, $25,000. They think it will sell sometime this week. The wait list for a new car is 4 months long, assuming you aren't picky, like I was, about the color combos or package you can afford. If you *are* picky, it could be 6 months. The dealer told us the last time they got a new car on the lot, someone desperate (and rich -- this is the DC area after all) came in and said they would pay $7,000 over the list price for it. The dealer told them it was already promised to someone on the wait list, but agreed to give them the person on the list a call. The upshot? They agreed to take $1,000 cash from the other guy and go back at the top of the list, and the guy forked over another $36,000 to the dealership and drove off with it!

I am sooooooooooooooooo tempted now to sell my 2006 with a mere $13K miles, package 4, which I paid $23K for 2 years ago to someone for say, $26-27K, drive my husband's old Saturn for a few months, go on the waiting list, and upgrade for free to a package 5 with Stability Control and GPS. Soooooooo tempted. The only drawback is that I just got vanity plates (O-TOTORO) and if I didn't transfer them right away, I'd lose them.

It's an awesome feeling to be a visionary with the option of profiteering! :evil:

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My '06 Prius was caught in a coastal flood 8 weeks ago, two months shy of its second birthday. Insurance co. totaled it and assessed its value at a little over $28000.

7. Tim in Hollywood

Tim in Hollywood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm picking up my brand new 2008 Prius Classic Silver (package #2) in the next several days. I would happily sell it for $30k or more...then immediately order another for MSRP. I don't drive that much, so it's not that big of a deal to me whether I have it this week or later this fall. For several thousand $$$, my current 28-30 MPG car will do me just fine.

Is there anyone in particular I should contact to try to flip this car? Maybe that could be a new show on TLC? "Flip that car!" ;)

Seriously...who should I contact?

Thanks,
    Tim

8. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I couldn't agree more.

9. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After waiting for 10 weeks for my 08, it ain't gonna be easy to pry the fob out of my hand. Also, you would have to pay quite a bit just to make up for the extra gas it would take to keep driving my SUV for the six months they told me last week is the minimum wait period in Denver.

10. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I lucked out on my wait. Somehow things just lined up just right and the day I went in to get on a list, they happened to have a car coming in that someone had backed out on due to financing issues. I did not have color or package choice, but grabbed it up. Turns out that the color and package are perfect. Congrats on finally getting your new pri.