1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Purchase Questions

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by C.G. Love, Feb 22, 2019.

1. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Newbie here. My 24 yo Corolla wagon w/350k is not dead yet, have researched all, heart set on a V, shopping for 2014-15, trim Three to Five, which hopefully will be last ever car for me, have questions, esp. about technology as I'm 24 yrs behind (read: cassette player!). I created a spreadsheet where I list contenders within my parameters (price, mileage, features, location) but have questions I need help with:

1. Another thread said Entune is crap. What do most ppl think? Can it be updated? Can I insist dealer do so?
    2. I have Android cell. What does that mean in regards to Prius V technology?
    (My phone's gps/maps cuts out a lot, so was hoping for more reliable, that can use voice with. I do a lot of road/camping trips)
    3. How do ppl like sun/moonroof? Most in my range don't have, but I do like them.
    4. There seems to be few (only 2 on my list in 2 months looking) with the pre-collision, voice recognition features in my price range. Do you feel worth holding out for these?
    5. Besides styling, is there any reason to hold out for 2015 over 2014? I know original warranties expire after five years--should that be concern?
    6. Would it be better to get a 2014 with lower mileage or a 2015 with higher, or does it make any difference?
    7. The 2014s are 1-3k less, often with lower miles, so want good reason to spend more. cars I can afford have
    8. Any way to tell if battery bad or going?
    Everyone who doesn't have Prius tells me not to get because batteries costly, but have read that they are now about $1k. Truth? Are 2015 better than 2014 batteries?
    9. What about rust, on midwest cars, salt, heat on Fl cars? Both areas have cheaper cars than NC, and my 24yo car started as MA car, but only about 2 yrs there, not 5. I've heard FL can mess up electronics. Thoughts?
    10. I am on cargurus, autolist, autotraders, iseecars, Edmunds etc. Rarely see on craigslist, one for sale by owner. Local dealers tend to be several thousand dollars more than elsewhere. Are there forums where private sellers post?

I looking at two 2014s with the precollision, voice rec. moonroof.One is $700 more, with 68k mi vs 54, but its local, GA car, Toyota dealership, other is northern car. Thoughts?

There are other 2014s at similar price, with lower (40s) mileage, so want to know if worth those extra features.

One thing I've learned hard way is dealers mark a lot of trim Twos as Fives (V confusion) but one dealer gave me link for Toyota's own website where you can put in vin and get correct trim, other specs.

Sorry for long post, but this is biggest single purchase I will ever make, and first time have some time, ability to choose, first time dealing with dealerships, want to get right....Thanks for help.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1. Another thread said Entune is crap. What do most ppl think? Can it be updated? Can I insist dealer do so?
    -Its fine and you will have gps built in with a v3 or v5. There are free updates except for the built in map database.

2. I have Android cell. What does that mean in regards to Prius V technology
    -It will work for phone calls and music that is on your phone.

2a. (My phone's gps/maps cuts out a lot, so was hoping for more reliable, that can use voice with. I do a lot of road/camping trips)
    -The built in gps will work without any cell service. If you want the latest maps Toyota does charge $300 or more dollars for an update. The map it comes with works for me except once in a blue moon in new neighborhoods.

3. How do ppl like sun/moonroof? Most in my range don't have, but I do like them.
    -Your choice, I dont like them, wind noise and more to go wrong

4. There seems to be few (only 2 on my list in 2 months looking) with the pre-collision, voice recognition features in my price range. Do you feel worth holding out for these?
    -I would get a 2015 without it or with based on price, miles and color. Not essential. You get voice for your phone call dialing and the built in gps on any v3 or v5

5. Besides styling, is there any reason to hold out for 2015 over 2014? I know original warranties expire after five years--should that be concern?
    -Low miles and improved engine relative to oil burning on a 2015.

6. Would it be better to get a 2014 with lower mileage or a 2015 with higher, or does it make any difference?
    -2015 see above unless the miles were very high

7. The 2014s are 1-3k less, often with lower miles, so want good reason to spend more. cars I can afford have
    -Spend it

8. Any way to tell if battery bad or going?
    Everyone who doesn't have Prius tells me not to get because batteries costly, but have read that they are now about $1k. Truth? Are 2015 better than 2014 batteries?
    -More like $2.5k for a new Toyota 201v battery but just buy a car with low miles and it will easily go 200k or more without a big battery bill

9. What about rust, on midwest cars, salt, heat on Fl cars? Both areas have cheaper cars than NC, and my 24yo car started as MA car, but only about 2 yrs there, not 5. I've heard FL can mess up electronics. Thoughts?
    -No worries unless it was flooded in a hurricane. Do a carfax report on it.

10. I am on cargurus, autolist, autotraders, iseecars, Edmunds etc. Rarely see on craigslist, one for sale by owner. Local dealers tend to be several thousand dollars more than elsewhere. Are there forums where private sellers post?
    -These cars are relatively rare compared to other Prius and they are rock solid reliable at least to 150k maybe 250. Most keep theirs until high mileages like 200k. Dealers will have low mileage units as trade-ins. Negotiate hard, finance elsewhere, dont buy anything extra.

I looking at two 2014s with the precollision, voice rec. moonroof.One is $700 more, with 68k mi vs 54, but its local, GA car, Toyota dealership, other is northern car. Thoughts?
    -The one you like from a color and emotional standpoint

#2 rjparker, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  3. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks! Much appreciate. Anyone else?

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Go look at this remembering it is largely based on a 2012. My DIL has one too. Son the hatchback.

A GPS depends on the signal strength and antenna. No problems with mine. The maps...dealer can discount and eat the install service call to make the car sale. They also should be able to access the service history.
    Happy I bought mine.

5. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I knew most of it, except this:

The 2012 thru 2014 have no way to lock the differential so both wheels spin in the snow. Consequentially, it is possible for you to get into a situation on ice where one wheel spins uselessly while the one with traction moves not at all. The 2015 has a switch to lock the differential so both wheels spin. Use it only in an emergency. Use snow tires if you live in a snow area. Carry sand or ashes and a shovel.

I don't usually go out in snow/ice, but still news to me about the differential.

I like the sun/moonroof even tho doesn't open, for stargazing in mts when cold.I've never had a new car, or got to choose color, so if I can, that would be icing on cake.

Also learned a few more reasons to hold out for a 2015, if I can, thanks. Most 2015s are still slightly out of financial reach, but should be able to afford by May...if my '95 Corolla wagon can hang on a bit longer.

If it cant wait, I am considering these:

2. 2014, Trim 5, ~48k.
    Pro: favorite color, not true-northern
    Con: Out of state, non-Toyota dealer, semi-northern car, no sun roof, no pre-collision, other newer safety features, 2014, out of Toyota 5 yr warranty

2. 2014 Trim 5, 54k, under $16k.
    Pro: sunroof, pre-collision, advanced tech package, price
    Con: northern/midwest car for 5 yrs, not favorite color, out-state, non-Toyota dealer, 2014, out of Toyota 5 yr warranty

3. 2014, Trim 5, 68k, $17.5k
    Pro: sunroof, pre-collision, adv. tech package, southeast car, thru Local Dealer (has to be brought up) with some dealer perks,
    Con: color, out-state (dealer charges $450 to bring up, but must obligate to buy, which means have to go see), 2014, out of Toyota warranty

No 2015s that stand out/can afford yet.

Of these, what do you think?

Thanks for help. Btw, where in NC are you? I'm RTP.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    would hold out for a 2015. Otherwise the first 2. Or fly to Houston on Southwest...(832) 639-6575 Toyota of Katy

DB357B2A-FAB4-4781-80AB-EE3ECAB442A9.jpeg

#6 rjparker, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  7. Synergistic

Synergistic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased a 2012 v with the advanced tech package - so moonroof precollision, and dynamic cruise control. I was not initially treating the fancy cruise control as a must have, but I lucked into one that was marked as a trim two and got a great deal. I drive 30k+ mi per year and am thrilled to have splurged. Have not and hope never to use precollision, but it's nice to know it's there. DRCC is great, and I think the '15/'16 version works all the way to stopping as opposed to canceling at ~25mph. Moonroof was of no value to me but it came with the tech package, so... BTW, if you're searching for the tech package, the moonroof and the steering wheel (with two buttons on the right side of the wheel) are the giveaways. Lots of dealers aren't familiar with this car, and don't really know what they have.

My budget was small (want it paid off in a year) so I was looking older, but all I really looked for was good service records. Any car can be a lemon but it's nice to see if there have been a lot of problems, or if the prior owners have been good about regular maintenance.

I love seeing other folks who drive cars until the wheels fall off and burn. I think you'll be pleased with the v, I certainly am.

C.G. Love and djasonw like this.
  8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I drove 2018 Camry with DRCC and for the life of me, it was more distracting than simply driving.

DRCC use was a constant case of “what is it doing now? and why is it doing that?”

C.G. Love likes this.
  9. Synergistic

Synergistic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly do a lot of 'driving through' the DRCC - applying the accelerator when approaching a slow car in my lane to move over without it slowing me down. I also find myself disengaging it so it doesn't vroom stupidly when the lane is suddenly empty ahead of me. It didn't take long to get used to, and it's a godsend on my long trips up and down the highway. I've always been an 'active' cruise control user, though, shifting down a few notches when going up an overpass and back up a few notches on the way down. Anyone using DRCC behind me is likely grateful to have it =p

C.G. Love likes this.
  10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    JMO, but “legacy” CC, modulated for traffic, is preferable in that it keeps my head actively in the game.

11. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We sold the last vehicle we owned that didn't have adaptive cruise control in early 2014. Now I can barely tolerate driving a rental car without it. Since DRCC is now standard on virtually all Toyotas, I should be able to avoid future rental cars that don't have adaptive cruise control since the car rental company why wife "requires" due to her frequent flyer program has a variety of Toyotas.

There are several reasons I want to replace our current cars soon, but one of the big ones is to get the "full speed range" version of adaptive cruise control which works all the way down to zero mph instead of down to only 25 mph. The 2012 Prius v will likely be replaced with a RAV4 - probably a hybrid. The 2014 Sienna will likely be replaced with a 2021 Sienna which apparently is going to be available in a hybrid version since it has been announced that Toyota will provide 2021 Sienna hybrids to Uber.

12. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I AM TAKING YOUR ADVICE! THANKS!!!!!

13. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    With advice from here, I decided to hold out for a 2015 or 2016. I wanted a trim five, but can't find one in price, location, color choices wanted, so I've found a 2016 three with 51k that looks good.

Its 260 miles away, Honda dealer, which makes me a bit hesitant, but they offer lifetime powertrain warranty, and since my Corolla is 24, with 350k, in need of engine, a lifetime piwertrain might come in useful for me, lol...

Any advice on how to evaluate? I know nothing of new electronics...how to check to see if working ok? What about tires--Iread something about certain type tires affecting mpg? They look to be tokohama?

Any folks here in eastern TN/western NC that would want to help check outlater this week/weekend?

14. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I thought I just posted, but can't find.... I decided to take advice here and get the five star safety rating/differntial button thing of 2015 or newer. Can't afford most, but found a 2016 Trim 3 with 50k at a non-Toyota dealer (but lifetime powertrain warranty). NERVOUS to go look at! Never bought from dealer...I'm driving a 24 yo car, know nothing of new electronics--how to know/test if working right? It has tokohama tires--are they ok? Cloth seat stained--will that come out? How do I know if battery ok? (it's been at dealer 2 months). What else to know/check? Any of you happen to be eastern Tn/western NC , want to help check out? Yikes! Scared but excited....

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A dealer warranty? Who backs the warranty? What does it cover? Where can it be used? Read the contract, not the sales brochure.

What is the asking price and how does it compare with those suggested by some of the buying services suggestions?

16. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How is your vision? The 2016 Prius v Three has headlights that are rated "Poor" by the IIHS: 2016 Toyota Prius v

Headlights have to be really, really bad to get a Poor rating from the IIHS but maybe they would work well enough for you if you have very "young eyes". I certainly don't have young eyes at my age. I should have checked the IIHS headlight ratings before I rented a Kia van in January - I couldn't see a damned thing driving at night due to the awful headlights. It was truly scary. After I checked the IIHS headlight ratings for the Kia and saw they were rated "Poor", I went back to SeaTac and exchanged the Kia for a Camry that had headlights rated "Acceptable" by the IIHS - what a relief!

An IIHS "Acceptable" rating for headlights means just that - not the very best but good enough to be safe. The headlights on the 2015-up Prius v Five without the Advanced Techology Package got the IIHS "Acceptable" rating. Headlights on the 2015-up Prius v Five with the Advanced Technology Package got the IIHS highest "Good" rating due to the Auto High Beam feature included in the ATP.

Whatever you buy, I encourage you to not buy any vehicle that has headlights rated less than "Acceptable" by the IIHS.

17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would get a 2015 or newer. The 2ZR 1.8L engines (which is used in the 09+ Corolla/Matrix, 10-15 Prius, 12+ Prius v) are prone to oil consumption. The 2015 and newer models have different pistons and rings which should reduce the likelihood of developing the issue.

Also, beware of headgasket issues on these cars, regardless of model year. You are starting to see more publicity of this issue over in the Gen 3 Prius forum as these cars get older. Anytime after 150K is fair game for developing this issue, and in major metropolitan areas, the cost of repair is often over $4K. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, be mindful of the issue as it is likely to bite you at some point.

The battery remains at $2500-$2800 MSRP (depends on the VIN and model year) at this time.

18. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I dont know. I am kind of glad going alone, so no one will rush me. Since I haven't bought in over 20 yrs, and never from a dealer, a warranty is just an extra perk. One way or another, need newer car....

19. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What would make head gasket so pricey? My 95 corolla was under $100, as I recall (my guy is 3-4x cheaper than most).

20. C.G. Love

C.G. Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five