1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Useless Features...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, May 16, 2017.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm with you, but how many times have you almost been hit by texters, or seen them run red lights while texting; been there. Maybe the phone could be forced to only text from voice commands. Or maybe they can get a proximity control that prevents texting behind steering wheel when car in motion. The techno geeks need to fix it; too many folks doing it, especially kids, and too many folks dying.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For free, or close to free. At the least, not the cost of an aftermarket gps every fricking time.

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How do you know they were texting, and not reading forums, using Facebook or Twitter, playing a game, or looking at their navigation system?

This is a behavioral problem. For a technological solution, the phone would have to know if you are the driver or a passenger.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, that's why I got the Garmin nuvi 3490LMT, Lifetime traffic and maps. Fantastic little device! and all voice command if you prefer!

5. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    For a car that has so many issues with temperature, battery temperature, engine temperature,
    and car with so much display capability,

No temperature gauges on the interesting stuff !

6. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    me too! same one!

7. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    The little tow hook that screws into the front of the car.

No self-respecting tow guy would do that.

They just throw that chain thingy over the whole wheel and strap that down, works for every make every model.

useless

8. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We have big fines for texting here in California; doesn't work. Only functions driver should be able to operate are voice command controlled; I think identifying the driver is key, and I stand by my driver proximity blocker idea!

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's for a good-Samaritan or friend to help you out, not a professional tow. I've done that with people who needed a jump but I couldn't get to the front of their car. So I towed them out of their parking place and gave them a jump once they were clear.

10. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Underpowered usb port

useless

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By-definition, not useless. It could, in fact, save your life.

Ever heard of someone getting stranded and their cell battery died? Having a USB cable and that little port could bring help.

12. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Displays that you select to be displayed,
    only to be overridden with speed limits or ddrc car in front of you notifications.
    - car, pick another display to override.

useless

13. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You sir, are on the money!!. I would gladly pay extra for a factory optional gauge package especially tach, oil pressure, amps, water & oil temp. Come on Toyota, just because we like Prii doesn't mean we don't like all those cool toys!!. I mean really, those door edge guards are as useless as a butt scratcher when you're sittin' down!!, Har, har! Gimme sumpin' I kin use, dad nab it!!

Bob Comer likes this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problems if offering a thread to discuss "Useless Features" and trying to keep it light hearted and light? Is the minute you say, I think this feature is useless, you are going to offend someone who has paid for that feature and thinks it's great.

So just in general, I think there are a lot of features on all automobiles today that while not useless, are really unnecessary.

You get spoiled.

For example, not too long ago, pre-2010, there were far less vehicles with keyless entry and push button starts. I remember reading about the SKS system in Prius, before I bought one, and thinking it was totally unnecessary, and thinking I really didn't even want it.

Once I got a Prius with push button start and the smart key system. I grew to love it. The ability to just walk up to your car, open it, get in and drive and NOT fumble with keys, or even have to turn an ignition? Great.

When I switched to my Honda Fit, I upgraded to ensure keeping those luxuries. Spoiled? Yeah a little.

And the flip side? Everyone loves these things, until they break. When suddenly the fob isn't locking the car, or starting the car, and you find out you have a $400+ repair? Then the days of the old KEY in lock and ignition start to look pretty good again.

But the bar never seems to really get lowered. In just the past 7 years, I've seen things like push button start and smart key systems go from the realm of luxury vehicles or vehicles like Prius, to being available in more and more vehicles.

Useless features?
    Remembering the vehicles of the 60's, 70's, 80, and 90's...today's vehicles are filled with features that go WAY beyond the vehicles utilitarian usage as a point A to point B mode of transportation.
    In my family when I was a kid, you were living large, if you got a vehicle with Air Conditioning.
    I remember my Aunt considering FINALLY getting a vehicle with an automatic transmission as opposed to a manual. She considered an automatic transmission a "luxury feature".
    I remember riding around with that Aunt in a 1979 VW bug, with some type of baseboard forced heat, that would literally melt your tennis shoe rubber.

Today's heated seats, smart key systems, cruise control, radar cruise control, back-up camera's, lane watch systems...on an on..are not useless features.
    But I think OUR expectations of our vehicles being primarily modes of transportation has changed. We now expect to be able to take phone calls, listen to downloaded music, access information, and navigate, as well as be entertained. And many of us expect to be doing this in a comfortable, climate controlled environment.

Having once bought a truck, in which I paid extra...for the luxury of a rear bumper....none of todays features seem useless, but many seem ultimately really unnecessary.

ruby, KrPtNk and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 2004 Prius had three-door smart-entry-and-start.

16. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    A pump, can of goop for tires.

They don't have fix-a-flat in Japan ?

useless

17. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well my 1969 Alfa Romeos had cross-flow head, hemi-head, sodium filled valves, headers, fuel injection, 5 speeds, positraction (limited slip differential), NO AIR CONDITIONING, forged suspension members, a suspension system to drool over with dual action shocks, AND all had 260,000 plus miles when I sold them for 3 times what I had paid for them! So there!!, Har, har. The worst part is that they're now worth as much as 10 times what I sold them for!!

18. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    A polite horn.

Not even a strong Beep

I'ts a polite Meep. (You can almost hear it say "excuse me")

How about a "Honk"

useless

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I'm sure it did.
    But Toyota will tell you "Prius" means "To Go Before".
    Prius use to be sort of a platform for technology and gadgetry ahead of the rest.
    Credit success for things that once were nearly primarily or exclusively in the realm of the most expensive cars, and/or Prius, now having become much, much more common or just expected on nearly all vehicles.